Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You favorite strat pickups

J J

Hey guys. I'm looking to replace the wimpy pickups that are in my Fender MIM 50s reissue strat. While they sound great on clean, they're just not cutting it in the mean department. I'm not looking to go overboard either though. I still wana retain a good strat tone. I was just kinda surfing around to see what was out there and it's pretty overwelming. So what are your guys' favorites??

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DiMarzio TDS-1's but they were discontinued many years ago & are as scarce as rocking horse poo!!!

I have 2 on my Strat with a Levinson Blade middle. I'd love to have 3.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Dimarzio virtual vintage are nice noiseless strat size "single coil|" sounding humbuckers...they come in various hotness ....i've owned a couple "solo" models - i think that is the hotest.

If you wanna move over to a mild humbucker in the bridge then a seymour duncan little '59 is a nice choice.

Semour has a little JB model and a George Lynch little Screamin Demon ...they are all nice pick ups for strat bridge if you wanna go humbucker....the screamin demon is misleading because despite the name, it isn't overly hot.

I've heard Texas Specials are pretty awesome sounding from everybody that has them (I don't).

I have two Duncan Hot Stacks in the front and middle of one guitar. No noise (stacked humbucker). They sound like a single coil, but punchier and louder.

In my main Strat, I use Duncan SSL-1s in the front and middle and a Little '59 in the rear. What I like about this setup is that I get a vintage Strat tone but have the beef in the rear for power chords and solos in humbucking mode. When I split the Little '59's coils (with a push-pull pot), it sounds like a single coil to me.

Figure out what music you want to play and if your guitar is bright sounding or dark sounding. Then, choose the pickup.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Depends on the position. I have a Fender Fat '50s bridge pickup that has been in my Strat for probably ten years or so and it will never leave. It's a great pickup.

Though I use the middle pickup occasionally, I don't really have a favorite..a basic standard wind, stock-type model will do. Right now I have a GFS AlNiCo something-or-other in there that I like just fine. I wish I had never removed the stock pickup that came with the guitar...it was super clean and spanky.

I have a Texas Special in the neck, and that's been in there for some time as well. I've tried a couple of different types in the neck slot; standard and overwound, vintage and modern sounding, and just keep going back to the Texas Special.

That whole package has great Strat tone to my ears, and I think a mix of overwound and standard wound pickups are a good way to go. I think if you go overwound, you want something that has a vintage flavor to help keep the Strat-iness intact. Those kinds of pickups should be just hot enough to give you a little more drive in all but the middle position, but not so much that you lose the characteristics of a single coil.

I have Fender Vintage Noiseless pups in my Strat Clone. I am completely satisfied with those pups.

I do have a pair of Duncan Little 59'ers in another strat style guitar, they are also great, but they sound much deeper, and are as powerful as the full hum bucking sized Duncan Distortion I have in that same guitar.

If you want a strat style sound, I would go with Fender noiseless pups.

I used to use DeMarzio and Duncan Stacks in my Fender style guitars, they are also good but they sound different than Fender pups.

Check out Rio Grande pickups. They have several flavors. I don't have a set in my Strat but I do have a set of theirs in my Tele. I really like them. The stock pickups in my VG Strat are on the weak side so I may replace them some day and I'll definately be looking at the Rio Grandes.

Have Both Texas Seymore Duncun's and the same EMG that Gilmore uses. They both bring a very unique yet strat sound. The Texas definatly has more juice even though the EMG's have actual power :) The EMG's have awsome versitility, you really have to use the tone knobs for every song you play, I've had them a year and getting new sounds.

Either way you go, can't go wrong. Good Luck Bro!!

Archived