Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Choosing my second Bass

RaysZ28

So, I'm considering a second bass. I have been playing about 7 year and play a Johnson 5-string bass. It has been a great beginner/intermediate bass, but now that i am playing a few times per month at church I have noticed a few flaws.

I lowered the action, tried to get the intonation better and it holds a tune great and has a great sound. It plays well now but I can its an inexpensive bass when I plug it into our PA. It sounds good, but the pickups are fare and its passive so the output it low. Not to mention, it gets a little heavy after a while...

Anyway, I'm looking for a good second bass. I like the fender Jazz 5 string, but cant afford it. I normally play Christian, classic rock, county, and i'm learning a little slap.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Ray

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go on E-Bay TAKE YOUR TIME, and bid on good candidates for no more than you really want to pay for a bass. I recently spent several weeks looking and adding probably over 50 basses to my watch list. I was looking for a 5 string with active electronics. I missed out of a few nice BTB's. I finally persevered and picked up a MINT 02/03 Spector Euro 5LX for $295. This bass sold new for something like $1600-2000.

Yes, I got lucky and I kept getting beat out on some auctions but my perseverance payed off. I now have a Bass that is way beyond what my budget would have allowed through a retail setting.

I got lucky on the Spector but I've seen a good many clean looking well cared for Ibanez 5 string BTB's go for between $200-300. Some with hardshell cases as well. That is a lot of bass for that kind of money.

That'll work. I was going to suggest a Squier jazz 5. Pretty much the same as a regular Fender jazz 5 but cheaper.

I found this on Ebay...and Jeremy, it's blue!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-V-5-STRING-SQUIER-AFFINITY_W0QQitemZ390119431979QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5ad4ee1f2b

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Those MIM basses are nice and this would be a good choice.

Welcome to the forum Ray. Now the rule here is that if you buy a new fish you have to post pics after you get it, otherwise it doesn't exist.

Happy hunting.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Anyway, I'm looking for a good second bass. I like the fender Jazz 5 string, but cant afford it. I normally play Christian, classic rock, county, and i'm learning a little slap.

Any suggestions??

Here's something of a crazy question....have you gone to any local music stores to check anything out? We can offer a lot of advice here, but you've ultimately got to like what you're going to buy. Everyone on this forum can offer you an opinion. But you've got to like the instrument. It's got to feel good in your hands. So start checking some things out in the stores. If you're in central Ohio, maybe there are some decent stores around Columbus?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

We can offer a lot of advice here, but you've ultimately got to like what you're going to buy.

Best advice given so far. I know from experience that I do not like MusicMan basses, because I tried them out when I bought my Fender. On an aesthetic level, that sucks because I love the look of those basses, but it's just a terrible mismatch so at least I know, and will never buy one blind.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

I went to the music store today to do some window shopping. good call on the Mex Fender Jazz V. I like it a lot. I also saw a friend there who was able to teach me some more about what to look for.

Whats the difference between the Mex and American jazz? just pickups, electronics and assembled in Mexico?

Whats the difference between the Mex and American jazz? just pickups, electronics and assembled in Mexico?

Probably all of the above and a little more, but I'm sold on these Fenders. However, playing as many different basses as possible will tell you more than we can. We're always happy to help someone spend their money. :grin:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I can just imagine the responses I would get if I started a thread entitled: "Choosing my eleventh bass".

But at least now I can refer my wife to this thread when I insist that, compared to others, I have my jones well under control.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I can just imagine the responses I would get if I started a thread entitled: "Choosing my eleventh bass".

But at least now I can refer my wife to this thread when I insist that, compared to others, I have my jones well under control.

My thread would be, "Choosing my 20th bass in 3 years..."

Archived