Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thumb Injury?

jimw

Just curious if this is a common injury amongst fellow keyboard players...

I noticed a while back that there was a small bump on my thumb joint, right over the joint behind my thumb nail. It wasn't painful unless I pushed (rather hard) on it. I didn't think much of it, and just thought it was some sort of calcium deposit, and attributed it getting older, since I'm getting close to fifty. :eek:

Last week I was relieved to see that the bump had gotten smaller, barely noticeable. I actually hadn't related this to playing keyboards until this morning, when it seemed to be re-aggravated possibly due to last night's gig. I sometimes hit the keys rather hard when playing chords -- the area with the bump never hits the keys, but I do tend to impact the keys on the joint of my thumb.

Has anyone else had a similar thumb injury? :thu:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patient: It wasn't painful unless I pushed (rather hard) on it.

Doctor: Don't push on it.

Seriously, in normal playing the only part of the thumb that should contact the key is the edge (by the nail).

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Seriously, in normal playing the only part of the thumb that should contact the key is the edge (by the nail).

Thanks Dave.

Yeah, I noticed when I'm trying to accent chord "hits", proper playing technique suffers. I've already made a mental note for the next gig.

Archived