Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lady Gaga

Eric Jx

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Y cant Tori sing or make music that's listenable?

I gotta agree....and that persona is so

O V E R W H E L M I N G.

Less time telling us (daughter of a preacher, God=Sex=blahblahblahblah) please!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I like Tori Amos. I haven't followed her career recently, but I did like the Little Earthquakes CD. I thought the turnover from the chorus into the second verse of "silent after all these years" was a simple, elegant, and beautifully executed.. Hey Jupiter. Excellent song.

She had some head scratchers too (i.e. God), but it's a rare artist that doesn't have any clunkers in their repetoire.

Of course she isn't for everyone. Someone like her probably isn't even for most. But you can count me as a fan.

The music scene is sooooo weird. In my elderly wisdom, I say go for it, make as much as you can with a producer, original material and a record contract etc. It's those with the most and best toys in the end that win.

Just saw the MJ movie.

Regards

I made it to 1:03. Keep the kudos thanks. I just got my copy of KB in the mail today. I can't get over that aura of self-important smugness, both in her pics and her music. At least Lady Gaga gives the impression that she's having fun and knows how lucky she is.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

At 3:02, I finally could take it NO LONGER! No amount of buffing by Daughtry, Gaga, Dali or Turtle Wax is going to reshape this one.

Man, I love Tori Amos's 'Little Earthquakes'. That was an album that inspired me to get into playing the piano myself.

But I've never seen this, and it's horrible. I made to about the same point. When is this from? How old was she? Ugh. :P

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I guess what I'm saying is that Lady Gaga has created a pop persona and has the smarts to do a lot of the heavy lifting. She probably realized that the Tori Amos thing wasn't going to make as much money as the Gaga thing. The little that I've read of her interviews suggests she's bright and talented. Again, I'm not saying she's Madonna, I said she's copping Madonna for the modern age. And when she's run Gaga into the ground, she can reinvent herself into the whiny chanteuse depicted in the original video.

The album is long out of print and to Tori's credit, she's not interested in reissuing it.

(I've never been able to get into her music, so I'm not defending her as a fan. I was just curious about this album and quickly came across this page.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I guess what I'm saying is that Lady Gaga has created a pop persona and has the smarts to do a lot of the heavy lifting. She probably realized that the Tori Amos thing wasn't going to make as much money as the Gaga thing. The little that I've read of her interviews suggests she's bright and talented. Again, I'm not saying she's Madonna, I said she's copping Madonna for the modern age. And when she's run Gaga into the ground, she can reinvent herself into the whiny chanteuse depicted in the original video.

Yeah.

She knows what the hell she's doing. She knew Stephanie Germanotta wouldn't make it as a singer/songwriter, so she crafted this persona and took the freaking world by storm. She obviously have few moral scruples about the message she's sending, and 'Lady Gaga' is really probably not who she is. Hell if she actually has to act like the character who sings those songs, then she must be laden with troubles in life. But I have a feeling she's really still just Stephanie Germanotta sitting happily on a huge pile of cash.

I wish I had the brains to sell myself to the devil at the age of 23. (not really)

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm not projecting anything. I just googled! Apparently, the internet is doing a lot of Freudian projecting.

Actually, I think Lady Gaga is very talented. I enjoyed the recent SNL performance. I think it's time to "Just Dance".

I just read an article/interview about her, and she claims this whole schtick is who she is. She said when she conceives of songs she can't help but conceive of how she will perform them as well. She said she was heavily influenced by glam rockers such as Bowie and Freddie Mercury.

That answers my question. Still, her music style is not for me, but that would have been true without the weird costumes.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

And she's making a shitload of money.

Too bad for us that the Tori Amos thing didn't work out -- I know I'd like to hear more -- but she found a niche to carve out, and it seems to be working for her.

I don't particularly like her music (well, the stuff she's known for), and care even less about her chromosomes, but if she's enjoying herself, good for her.

I just read an article/interview about her, and she claims this whole schtick is who she is. She said when she conceives of songs she can't help but conceive of how she will perform them as well. She said she was heavily influenced by glam rockers such as Bowie and Freddie Mercury.

That answers my question. Still, her music style is not for me, but that would have been true without the weird costumes.

I was too young to see Peter Gabriel dressing up as a flower on stage, and got into genesis music later in life.

I can't help but wonder how I would have reacted to their stage show if I were of age. Does appreciation for the music lead to appreciation of the off-center performance? Or would my attitude have been "just play the damn songs"?

Even in later years, Peter Gabriel has been known as putting on a show. They're not as outrageous as the Genesis days, but he's not just singing the songs. In his case, I dig the music and "get" the show that he is doing. For Gaga, the music doesn't reach me so the rest doesn't matter to me.

Even in later years, Peter Gabriel has been known as putting on a show. They're not as outrageous as the Genesis days, but he's not just singing the songs.

I remember seeing Gabriel at MSG. It probably was the tour to support "so". I don't remember seeing anything outside what you'd see in your typical rock concert.

Perhaps there was more of an act, back in his "Security" days?

We saw him on the Us tour, and he had some "dance" routines, the phone booth with the loooooong cord, and the entire band disappearing into a suitcase at the end.

Here the phone booth bit from '94, around the time I saw him.

And yes, I understand during the Security days and Plays Live, there was more of an act too, but I'm not as familiar with it (notice the make up he's wearing on the cover of Plays Live).

Maybe it's just because I'm a big fan of Gabriel/Genesis, but to compare the 2 is a tad blasphemous. Gabriel dressed up to support and illustrate the characters in the songs. Gaga seems to be selling/cultivating some sort of fetid lifestyle.

You can't really be comparing the quality of music between the two either.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I see her more as making fun of the whole thing. I hear a whole lot of tongue in cheek.
Interesting. The Allmusic.com bio of her said much the same thing. I haven't listened closely enough to tell.

I like the occasional live performance I see from her much better than the recorded versions. Until her performance on American Idol I had never heard of her. I liked it enough that I looked for the recorded version of the song. When I heard the autotune version I was disappointed.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived