Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes Mark V

Karl Sutton

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to put fairly heavy keyboards on my Mark I without any issue. I've seen pics of guys in the 70s with multiple keyboards gaffer taped to a Rhodes. The plastic is stronger than you would think (in my experience.)

The only problem I had stacking a keyboard on top of a Rhodes was inducing hum. The power supply of the synth (yes, I have played synths) induced hum by its proximity to the pickups of the Rhodes. Simply lifting the synth a few inches solved that mystery.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dyno stuck that big sheet of copper under my plastic lid which almost eliminated all the hum induced by my ARP String Ensemble back in the day. There also used to be third-party metal braces that fit across the top to hold a second board. I finally had Dyno do their top lid chop job to provide a perfectly flat and sturdy surface, and that solved all hum problems completely.

Warning. Judgment seems questionable with this rig setup.

I played this rig 6 nights a week 50 weeks a year for at least 2 years in clubs from Florida to Ohio.

Yes, you can stack keyboards on your Rhodes. Having the flat top is better. I eventually swapped the one out on that 88 for a flat one.

Moe

---

There also used to be third-party metal braces that fit across the top to hold a second board.

Had a set. They rocked.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Dyno stuck that big sheet of copper under my plastic lid which almost eliminated all the hum induced by my ARP String Ensemble back in the day. There also used to be third-party metal braces that fit across the top to hold a second board. I finally had Dyno do their top lid chop job to provide a perfectly flat and sturdy surface, and that solved all hum problems completely.

IIRC it was more than just copper. We used copper to cover the entire underside of the cover but soldered a patch of mu metal to the copper underneath where the synth's transformer was located. Then we grounded it to the Rhodes' ground point.

Not familiar with the Mach V but if you are stacking on top of an older Rhodes, be sure to use the cross braces. If not stacking, I wouldn't even bother with the braces at all.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I played this rig 6 nights a week 50 weeks a year for at least 2 years in clubs from Florida to Ohio.

Yes, you can stack keyboards on your Rhodes. Having the flat top is better. I eventually swapped the one out on that 88 for a flat one.

Mogut: schooled.

Mogut: schooled.

LOL Actually I am quite schooled on structural integrity. I'm going to guess the builder of that rig is not. It looks like to make things even worse, the legs are up on blocks haha, but I cant quite tell what's happening at the base. God I hope its fastened!

Karl don't sit 4 keyboards on top of each other onstage. You've been advised. :thu:

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

What are those 'boards on the Rhodes, just out of curiosity? I recognize the clav, what about the other two?

I'm just going to guess on this one: EMU Mono Keyboard & E-MU 4060 poly kbd. ;) O.K., so I cheated a bit.

What are those 'boards on the Rhodes, just out of curiosity? I recognize the clav, what about the other two?

I'm just going to guess on this one: EMU Mono Keyboard & E-MU 4060 poly kbd. ;) O.K., so I cheated a bit.

We haz a winner.

Here's the rest of the rig (old timers on this list have seen all this way too many times before. The year was 1979.)

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/gallery/back_line.jpg

Moe

---

Archived