Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

And now, a word from our sponsor...or, sound of fallen trees

_Sweet Willie_

1. If a band plays a gig, but no one's there to hear it, did the band make a sound?

B. Relatedly, if a band rehearses, but never plays a gig, is there a band at all?

III. What would be Lemmy's response to these questions?

OK, have at it.

Peace.

--SW

PS: Answer all three questions or don't bother to answer at all.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Yes

B. Yes

III. Lemmy would say, "1: The band would have had to be present, so could be witness that a sound occurred. B: If a collection of people who play music call themselves a band but have never played a gig, who am I to disagree? III. I would say what I just said and mine's a double".

1. Yes

B. Yes

III. 1. They weren't playing loud enough but if there were no chicks there, and you didn't get paid, it was a waste of fu#$in' time. B. Are there any women at rehearsal?

The forum has been a little slow lately ay sweets?

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

1. It was their "best gig ever" from a playing standpoint. You know. The one where they'll talk for years about how awesome they played.

B. That band plays in my neighbor's garage. It's probably best that they stay there.

III. F*(k off. Where's my Makers?

1. If a band plays a gig, but no one's there to hear it, did the band make a sound?

B. Relatedly, if a band rehearses, but never plays a gig, is there a band at all?

OK, have at it.

Peace.

--SW

PS: Answer all three questions or don't bother to answer at all.

1) Yes. Especially if the band got paid.

B. Yes. There are a few good bands that just love to get together and jam but not really interested in playing out. :rawk:

III- You'd have to ask Lemmy.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

1. Yes it is a gig, unfortunaltely all of my gigs have been like this.

B. There is a band but it really needs to have the same dramas (if not more) of a top rock band cliche i.e. people not turing up, personality clashes and the obligatory gf or bf that sits in the corner and seems to make suggestions in the most inappropriate time "what about dubbley?".

III. I can't think of anything better than what Moot has suggested.

1. Someone has to entertain the surly bartenders of the world.

B. If it is not on stage, it does not exist!

III. "My earliest memory is shouting. At what and for what reason, I don't know. Probably a trantrum; or I may have been rehearsing. I was always an early starter."

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Yes, because making music is a joy itself, touches the soul, and lifts or lowers you to the deity (lift or lower depending on which type of deity you relate to).

Of course! One of the (many) terms with multiple meanings is the term "garage band". One meaning is that they rehearse but never gig. The truth of this is confirmed by crotchety neighbors (who frequently use terms other than "band" for this assemblage).

Sorry - I'm not well-acquainted with Lemmy (he'd probably have killed me by now if we'd met).

McCartney (with whom I'm also not acquainted) would probably have mumbled "yeah - quite - sure - keep on rockin'".

Anthony Jackson (who I've at least met) would complain about the waste of time, and how you should polish your bass and change your strings every day instead of this foolishness.

Jack Bruce would have loved the questions so he can still feel part of the music world, but would be looking over his shoulder to see if we would turn and ask his son (the fear of being replaced now haunts him thanks to WB2L).

Tony Levin would have stabbed you with a funk finger (thanks to the rubber coating, you'd only fall backwards, not be cut).

Jeff Berlin would have said "no actual playing, no band".

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived