Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

need song suggestions

reidmc

Hi gang -

Since zombies are so popular nowadays, my college band (circa 1972) is coming back to life for one show only next summer. Set is pretty well worked out (byrds, eagles, country-ish stones, tom petty and our 90s tribute tunes: gin blossoms and toad the wet sprocket.) We need suggestions for a couple of ballads, which need to be old school slow-dance tunes. . .not mid-tempo numbers or waltzes. Tunes do not have to be 60s/70s but would need to work in the format above; band is (surprise) two guitars, bass, drums and keys. (Flute and melodica are also available.) Four singers.

Ballad report to date. . .we have dropped Wild Horses and added Ol 55. Considering an arrangement of First Cut is the Deepest, though that is a bit dramatic for us.

Your thoughts?? I will cheeck out last month's post on ballads, but would like some suggestions specifically for our style and format. Thanks!

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming.

Added one of my favorites to the possible list last night. . .

"Don't Think About Her While You're Trying to Drive"

(Little Village/John Hiatt)

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Hmmm, just actually read that RS list. Blech.

A few more of my personal favorite cliche slow dance songs:

Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis

Heaven - Bryan Adams

Have I Told You Lately - Rod Stewart

Angel Eyes - Jeff Healey Band

What A Wonderful World - Louie Armstrong

I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith

Noah

Staying in The 60;s-70's vibe:

Samba Pa Ti

Wow, maybe I've been in the Santana Tribute too long, but I just can't imagine doing that song without congas. I am the only person who hears that bolero pattern as the 2nd most prominent thing in the song? (after the lead guitar, of course...)

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Wow, maybe I've been in the Santana Tribute too long, but I just can't imagine doing that song without congas. I am the only person who hears that bolero pattern as the 2nd most prominent thing in the song? (after the lead guitar, of course...)

I've been playing that song with my band for 10 years! The drummer loosens the chains on his snare, and plays with his hands until the double time section. It's not like having a percussionist on stage, but hey it works!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I Can't Tell You Why - Eagles

Tell It Like It Is - Billy Jo Royal

These Arms of Mine - Otis Redding

When a Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge or Michael Bolton version - either one(the women go crazy for this one)

Yamaha S08, Hammond XK1, 1966 Farfisa Compact(I know its cheesy, but I like it)

Archived