Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Borrowed an Orange.

The Bear Jew

So, for this weekend's out-of-town gig, we traveled light. For me, this meant bringing my guitar, Marshall head and pedal board. I borrowed a cab from the host band...

The cab was an Orange 2x12. Now, I am accustomed to using a Mesa 4x12 with my Marshall, so I wasn't totally sure of what to expect from the Orange.

Well... the Orange was pretty damn amazing--nice low-end response without farting out and plenty of volume. I can see why people love Orange gear now.... and I also kinda get why it's so expensive... It's well built and sounds really good.

Having said this much, I kinda wish it wasn't orange. I'm not in love with the color.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love those Orange 2x12 cabs; Celestion Vintage 30s innitt, right? Nice "knock" and tight low end, presence and projection out the ying-yang, great little cabs for a hard rock kinda sound, amongst many others. And I kinda do like the color, though the big plastic logo seems cheesy up-close- but I guess it was made with how it looks from a distance in mind, huh?! Anyways, I think you can get 'em in white or black...

Now, I assumed that the one I tried out a few times with several different amps was a closed-back, but I'm not 100% certain; what was this one, closed or open or ported or what?

So, getcha an Orange, an Apple, a Blackberry, a POD, 'n' a potato... and you'll be all set! Five full servings!

http://www.soulboxmusic.com/catalog2/images/Cab_2x12_275.gifhttp://www.idsa.org/idea/idea2002/images/g7032.jpg

http://www.techsuave.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/blackberry-curve.jpghttp://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/graphics/articles/reports/line6_pod_300x259.jpg

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Harley-Davidson-Softail-FLSTNSoftailDeluxeb-small.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yeah, I was impressed... I must admit I wasn't too psyched about using an unknown cabinet, especially in a power trio situation, but that little 2x12 was pretty bad-ass. I was a little worried that it wouldn't sound full or bassy enough to round out the trio, but my concerns were groundless.

It was a closed-back jammy, BTW. No ports that I could see. I stacked it on top of the traveling case I use for my Marshall head. With the case on its side, the 2x12 on top of it and the head on top of that.. and I had it on top of the club's small riser. With everything stacked like that, the whole mess stood at ear level for me (and the audience.) Sounded sweet.

Makes me wonder how a 4x12 would sound....

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I set it vertically, running either a Fuchs Luck 7 or an Orange Tiny Terror through it. Shockingly loud, tight, projecting and present for such low-watt, compact rigs! TOTALLY kicked for chunky riddim riffery with the amp cranked.

Their 4x12s are somewhere between Marshall and Hiwatt 4x12 cabs (more Marshall, but that's probably because of the Celestions).

Y'know what else was a mean little closed-back 2x12? Those '90s Ampegs! Years ago, I once borrowed one of those with a freekin' Soldano SLO-60 and it screamingly killed!! (Funny that "screamingly killed" can be a good thing! Hehhehh... such inglourious basterdy!)

I LOVE ORANGE cabs. My buddy has one from the early 90's with Celestion T75's. I actually prefer those to Vintage 30's.

I would take an Orange cab over a Marshall ANY DAY!!

You know Randall makes a nice cabinet also. But yes--you get what you pay for.

But I must say, people seem to LOVE Avatar cabinets, and they can be had a very reasonable price.

My buddy who owns the Orange actually prefers his 2/12 Avatar with Vintage 30's.

In the wake of this discovery, I'm now looking into Emperor cabinets. I'm considering a 6x12.

You may now bow to my awesomeness.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

In the wake of this discovery, I'm now looking into Emperor cabinets. I'm considering a 6x12.

Mmmn, a 6x12, eh? How utterly b!tch!n'! Gonna get one in orange?

Yess, Massterr... Awesomeness bowed to...

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/CaevanOShite/Severian-TheClawoftheConciliator.jpg

but yeah, as someone said, Avatar and others make copies of the Orange cabinets with the same construction, and people say they're great.

I played with a guy who bought an OR 120 head and a 6 x 12 cab in high school for $100. He sold the head to someone, raided the cab for 4 of the speakers then left the thing on the porch of his apt. when he moved away. Another was quick to snatch it up, and I'd see him lugging that thing onstage (often with only 2 speakers at first) over the years.

The Emperors are a little cheaper than the Green cabs and don't have anywhere near as long of a wait. I can have a custom-made Emperor 6x12 in three weeks.

I considered Avatar, actually, but they don't make 6x12s, so that's out.

As for color, I'm thinking of a purple cab with a tan grille. Ooooo.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

...I'm considering a 6x12.

Bowing is a posture you'd better get used to unless Your Awesomeness has somebody else to haul a honkin' 6x12 around for him. If you're doing it for yourself, your back is toast waitin' for the butter!

Oh, the follies of youth...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

I'm not so young, my friend. However, I am strong and do know the proper way to lift things--with the legs, not the back. A 6x12 is only 115 lbs. I lift more weight than that every time I take a leak.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Well, I'm prayin' for your back anyway, brah. Luvs ya too much not to! :D

And if the :cool:Cool Guy Factor:cool: is still important enough to you that you'll haul 115lb speaker cab around for it when you could sound just as good with a much lighter 4x12, or even a 2x12 like you borrowed, you're still mighty young...

You'll know you're getting old when you debate with yourself whether or not your 1x12 combo is more than you wanna haul around... I'm soooo old... :P

The Emperors are a little cheaper than the Green cabs and don't have anywhere near as long of a wait. I can have a custom-made Emperor 6x12 in three weeks.

I considered Avatar, actually, but they don't make 6x12s, so that's out.

As for color, I'm thinking of a purple cab with a tan grille. Ooooo.

http://www.purpleamps.com/purple2007-008.jpg

http://www.purpleamps.com/

Orange, Green, Purple... I think this 'clone / inspired by Orange' theme is getting tapped-out...

ANYWAYS, whatcha need is TWO of those 6x12 cabs, staked; or, double that, four of 'em for side-by-side 2x6x12 stacks... yeah, that's it, that's the tickett... what? WHAT? WHAT'D JOO SAY??!

I think the Green, Purple, Red and White amps are made by the Matamp company, or somebody that licenses them or is involved with them in some way. Matamp is the original Orange company, but maybe sold the name?

or maybe not... (EDIT: YEP, APPARENTLY THEY ARE ALL MATAMP, AND THEY HAVE A CONFUSING DISTRIBUTION THING, I GUESS)

http://www.matamp.co.uk/matamp3.jpg

http://www.matamp.co.uk/home.htm

Matamp is just weird... it seems like they'll basically make their amps with whatever logo and color you want--Electric, Purple, Black, White, etc. They do sound pretty awesome, I must say, but all I really want is a new cabinet, and I don't want to wait a year to get one, which is what would happen if I ordered from Matamp.

I don't precisely need a new cab, but I want one. I don't even think it'll cost me anything in the long run, as I will probably sell off a lot of old stuff to pay for it.

Plus, as I said, after hearing how nice the Orange sounded, I'm really intrigued by the idea of getting a nicer cabinet. My Mesa's been great for a long time, and I guess I just never had the chance to audition anything I liked better... or maybe my ears have changed. I don't know... but I'm thinking it's time to investigate such things now.

Just to clarify, though--the Orange sounded good, but not "just as good" as a 4x12. It sounded wayyyy better than I expected, and I liked it, but I still prefer to move more air.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

You know, the title of this thread makes me think of that old Bee Gee's song, "I Started a Joke"...

"I borrowed an Orange, which made me begin to want one.

Oh, if I'd only seen that the Orange could be Green..."

I think the Green, Purple, Red and White amps are made by the Matamp company, or somebody that licenses them or is involved with them in some way. Matamp is the original Orange company, but maybe sold the name?

or maybe not... (EDIT: YEP, APPARENTLY THEY ARE ALL MATAMP, AND THEY HAVE A CONFUSING DISTRIBUTION THING, I GUESS)

OH- thanks! I did not know that! :thu::cool:

Matamp is just weird... it seems like they'll basically make their amps with whatever logo and color you want--Electric, Purple, Black, White, etc. They do sound pretty awesome, I must say, but all I really want is a new cabinet, and I don't want to wait a year to get one, which is what would happen if I ordered from Matamp.

I don't precisely need a new cab, but I want one. I don't even think it'll cost me anything in the long run, as I will probably sell off a lot of old stuff to pay for it.

Plus, as I said, after hearing how nice the Orange sounded, I'm really intrigued by the idea of getting a nicer cabinet. My Mesa's been great for a long time, and I guess I just never had the chance to audition anything I liked better... or maybe my ears have changed. I don't know... but I'm thinking it's time to investigate such things now.

Just to clarify, though--the Orange sounded good, but not "just as good" as a 4x12. It sounded wayyyy better than I expected, and I liked it, but I still prefer to move more air.

Dude no joke. Orange are like Taylors. They are just head and shoulders above much of the competition.

Marshalls, Mesa Boogie, they don't hold a candle to Orange cabinets--in my opinion.

Randall makes a pretty solid cabinet as well.

Anybody have the opportunity to try out some Fuchs cabs? How about Buzz Feiten cabs? Both are so pricey as to make Orange look like a bargain, but they have some features, quality materials and designs that make them very interesting... they almost have to be good! ;)

I, for one, have not been able to check either brand of cabinets out, but I'd sure like to!

And cabs from Dr. Z and THD have gotten some great praise, as well- aren't there a few THD cab users on this forum?

Archived