Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quik-lok Z-71 stand

keyoctave

We all search for the ideal stand. While the new Quik-lok Z-71 is not perfect, it comes closer than any stand I have used.

Here the stand is flat on the floor in it's travel position.

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000681.JPG

This is a view from the side. The circle is where the upper and lower z sections lock into place. This keeps the stand from opening up on you when carrying it. The shorter bars on top are the optional 2nd tier. Note: the black bands you see are velcro straps that I use for cable mangment.

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000682.JPG

Here the lower Z is locked into place.

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000683.JPG

The upper part of the Z is released from it's travel position....

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000684.JPG

....swung, and locked into place.

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000687.JPG

The next two pics show a close up of the locking pins. They are the same for the top and bottom Z sections. There is a small amount of play in them but once you place your keyboard on the stand, there is none.

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000685.JPG

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000686.JPG

Here the top tiers are being swung into place....

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000688.JPG

....and the support bars turned up. They are height, angle, and depth adjustible. The bars have a rubber coating on them to protect your keyboard. The teeth on the angle adjustment are metal. The height is adjusted by set screws. I would have liked it to go a little lower, but it still works fine for me in it's lowest setting. The tiers are very sturdy. I even placed my PC2X on them with no problem.

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000689.JPG

If your a tall player, this is your stand. Here it is in it's tallest position. It also goes low enough to be comfotable for sitting. Adjusting the height is as simple as squeezing the two finger buttons on the middle cross bar and sliding the outer bars up or down.

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000690.JPG

The one negative I found is that Quik-lok decided to make this stand 1" wider than their Z-716 stand (which I have). While a lot of the Z series accessories fit this stand, the horizontal accessory bar will not (will be an inch short). This will keep one from using the older Z series 2nd tier stands which will give you width adjustment as well. Case in point: my NE2 just fits the top tier. Anything less in width will fall through.

All in all, I could not be any happier with this stand. It takes about 30 seconds to set up (less without the 2nd tier). There is no shake, bounce, or wiggle (having 3 horizontal bars welded to the outside Z bars has a lot to do with this). It is ROCK SOLID. It is somewhat heavy, weighing in at around 37 lbs with 2nd tier. It looks really good on stage as I had some compliments about it on my last gig. Check it out! :thu:

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a couple more pics with my PC3 and NE2.

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000691.JPG

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Quik%20Lok%20Z-71/P1000640.JPG

A couple more things:

The bottom horizontal cross bar keeps your pedels from creaping foward.

When my stand arrived, it was double boxed from the factory (China), not from the retailer. The stand was wrapped in thick plastic inside the box. There was no weld spatter or broken parts that have been know to show up on other Quik-lok products (including mine). The finish was smooth with no scratches on it. Guess someone has been listening over at quality control.

Great pics. I really like these stands as well and have 2 for my home studio. I don't move them all to often - they are a bit heavy and unwieldy but the pros far outweigh that; great pedal management space, easy to hide cables and the height is very adjustable - one of the few stands that can be set high enough when needed.

I have the older version of this stand. Really like the spaciousness under the stand. I would not have anything else for a studio(fixed) type of setup. However, it is not a very good road stand. It is too heavy and takes up too much room in the epuipment trailer. If you know of a good stanf worth the money for roading, I would love to know about it. I am currently considering the Ultimate AX-90B stand. Tne price tag of nearly $400 is a bit much for me for a stand. I guess you get what you pay for!
Yamaha S08, Hammond XK1, 1966 Farfisa Compact(I know its cheesy, but I like it)

Wow, thanks for the review!

I have a couple OnStage z stands, and I don't like them at all. Actually they're fine in the studio, but setup and breakdown is a pain in the neck for gigs.

I just started using a QuikLok "monolith" stand, and I like it so far. One of the monolith's drawbacks is that it doesn't allow for use of an additional X stand for a third tier (the shape of the monolith prevents the feet of the x stand from getting where you want them. It looks like this Z would allow that.

I think I will try one. Finding an ergonomical setup is my top priority right now, as I'm recovering from a couple of injuries caused mostly by bad ergonomics. I'm spending way too much money on stands, but I really need to get it right.

From those pics, it looks like you might play standing up. One of the reasons I got this stand is that I thought I might do the same. That didn't last long.

To get the tiers closer together, I made blocks that sit on the arms of the lower tier to raise the lower board (same one :) ) about 2 3/8". Because of that, I'm only two clicks above rock bottom. Raising the height on this stand also shifts the center of gravity toward you . If you have this stand adjusted low with a heavy board on top and slid back, you're getting close to a danger of tipping away from you. I'm just inside the comfort zone on that score.

We were just chatting about this stand recently here.

--wmp

I have a couple OnStage z stands, and I don't like them at all. Actually they're fine in the studio, but setup and breakdown is a pain in the neck for gigs.
Just don't take it apart. I fold mine up just like the top picture above, carry it folded.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Have you ever had any problem with your knees hitting the stand(that is if your sitting down when you play.) I was thinking about getting one of these but it looks like once you put your pedals below if you wanted to get right up over the keyboard you would be sitting on the pedals. This cant be right?

Have you ever had any problem with your knees hitting the stand(that is if your sitting down when you play.) I was thinking about getting one of these but it looks like once you put your pedals below if you wanted to get right up over the keyboard you would be sitting on the pedals. This cant be right?

I stand (and sometimes sit) when I play, but at home I sit. I have no problems with my knees hitting the upper cross bar. I do have a problem with the pedal board resting against the bottom cross bar which keeps the pedels to far foward when you are sitting (it is just right when standing though). I raise the back of my pedal board over the lower bar which moves it back far enough. With no pedal board, the sustain pedal rests against the bar and is far enough back to feel comfortable (at least for me) and the bar keeps it from creeping away from you.

As for weight issues... yes, it is a little heavier than most stands and takes up a little more room, but when compaired to hauling around a 88 note weighted action keyboard or an active speaker, it's not that bad at all (the stand weighs 27 lbs and the 2nd tier add another 8). It carries well, sets up fast, and it's solid. That (to me) is worth a little extra weight and size.

This thread is of particular interest to me because I started one in September on the same subject. The objective was a bit different however. I wanted to purchase the Z71 but no one (GC; Sweetwater; Music 123) stocked it - it had to be special ordered. Don't like special orders due to some distasteful history with a special order so I was waiting to find some one that stocked it. That never happened, but I did find a Quiklok Z72 stocked at SameDay Music. 2 major differences - er make that 3

1. It's silver; 2. It includes the 2nd tier (the Z71 has an optional 2nd tier available) 3.Less expensive. The Z71 was priced at $129 plus $35 for 2nd tier. Z72 was $120 complete. Also all sellers I mentioned that did not stock the stand would have charged shipping. SameDay shipping was free.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Keyoctave,

It's good that you found a stand you like, because the stand problem can be quite vexing. I use 3 boards and ended up modifying my heavy duty double X twice and I see another mod in its future. I am thinking of building my own stand.

Good luck with your Z and happy gigging! :thu:

Regards,

Joe

This thread is of particular interest to me because I started one in September on the same subject. The objective was a bit different however. I wanted to purchase the Z71 but no one (GC; Sweetwater; Music 123) stocked it - it had to be special ordered. Don't like special orders due to some distasteful history with a special order so I was waiting to find some one that stocked it. That never happened, but I did find a Quiklok Z72 stocked at SameDay Music. 2 major differences - er make that 3

1. It's silver; 2. It includes the 2nd tier (the Z71 has an optional 2nd tier available) 3.Less expensive. The Z71 was priced at $129 plus $35 for 2nd tier. Z72 was $120 complete. Also all sellers I mentioned that did not stock the stand would have charged shipping. SameDay shipping was free.

I got mine from Musicians Friend for the same price with free shipping. I had a little trouble locating the Z-2 2nd tier option. Had to pay a little more for for it doing it this way but it mounted easy enough and I am happy with the results.

The silver color sounds cool.

Keyoctave,

It's good that you found a stand you like, because the stand problem can be quite vexing. I use 3 boards and ended up modifying my heavy duty double X twice and I see another mod in its future. I am thinking of building my own stand.

Good luck with your Z and happy gigging! :thu:

Regards,

Joe

It certainly is a vexing issue. Finding stands that work for our situations seems to be one of the ongoing struggles of all keyboardist. We think we finally get it right, then GAS hits and here we go again.

I have done (and had done) mods to my stands over the years. Building one to fit your exact needs would be the ideal thing to do.

Archived