Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I don't wanna be a drummer or computer programmer...

picker

...and I need a drum program that doesn't require me to be either one and still allows me to make decent demo. And it it needs cost...well, nothing, to be honest.

Unreasonable request?

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, Band in a Box. It is not only easy, but since they already have a few hundred complete songs in the styles of acts that you know pre-programed, you just have to diddle a few things around to have an original drum beat for a song, and all of the other parts, too. In any key you want, at any tempo you want. And the last version that i got was using some really nice drum samples instead of MIDI synth drum sounds.

There are lots of other options. I bought EZ Drummer back when everyone here was talking about it, and I cannot recommend it. Though the sounds are good, the program itself decided on its own that it was no longer authorized to run on my machine. I tried to get help, they emailed a new authorization code, which also failed. When I tried to get further help, there was only paid support. So I shitcanned that option. You might look at Battery.... never made any sense to me, but maybe you'll make heads or tails of it.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I'm sorry that you had problems with EZ Drummer Bill. I still use it and know several others that do as well. Having the code fail on you could have something to do with your machine. I would get them back on the line and MAKE them sort it out.

I do recommend EZ Drummer. Fantastic sound and, if you are using a full version of a multitrack program and not the "lite" version, then you can utilize the "Drag and Drop" feature. Simply drag and drop the preprogramed beats, into your project, in the order you want them in and you are done.

I'm sorry that you had problems with EZ Drummer Bill. I still use it and know several others that do as well. Having the code fail on you could have something to do with your machine. I would get them back on the line and MAKE them sort it out.

They ignored me entirely. Done and gone. I agree with you that it sounded good, and yeah, drag and drop was nice. It was missing some very basic drum things... like, a steady tom beat instead of a ride cymbal (like, "Mony Mony" and a thousand other songs). But more than anything, I can not sit in front of a client and try to explain to him why I can't access my drum software, why the stuff that he paid for will not play. I can't tell him to come back later when and if I can get ahold of customer service. And I'm not willing to put up with that bullshit when I'm trying to write my own music, either.

Maybe I am spoiled by having grown up playing with musicians, and using software like SAWStudio that never crashes. But everybody seems to be willing to put up with a level of nonsense from their computer software that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Fortunately, I was a drummer. I have a regular drum kit, and a set of Alesis with the Surge cymbals (pretty nice feel on those cymbals, by the way...) so I can play the part in as MIDI or as a wave, edit from there.

But I feel the same pain... I wanted something that I could use without having to think about it beyond creatively, and without having to climb behind the kit.

For the average guy who is not locked into a DAW, BIAB looks like the way to go. I know that it too has limitations, and I've worked for far too long in standard DAWs to get comfortable with it. But I turned it over to a mucisina friend of mine who got struck down with MS in his adulthood, and it has reopened a creative outlet for him. So it cannot be that difficult, because he is no way shape or form a computer-oriented guy.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

It's despicable that the customer service was poor. There is really, no excuse.

I gave up on BIAB many years ago, because it was too hard to use. The interface was very convoluted and finding things was very difficult. However, this was back in the Windows 95 days and I'm 100% sure that they have worked on it many times since then. At this point it will be a completely different program than the one I tried.

I do recommend EZ Drummer. Fantastic sound and, if you are using a full version of a multitrack program and not the "lite" version, then you can utilize the "Drag and Drop" feature. Simply drag and drop the preprogramed beats, into your project, in the order you want them in and you are done.

+1

Great value, great sounding, and easy to use.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

You may want to try cutting & sequencing wave files of drum loops. I use loops from Beta Monkey. They sound good and are reasonably priced. They will e-mail you some free demo samples if you want to try before you buy.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

You may want to try cutting & sequencing wave files of drum loops. I use loops from Beta Monkey. They sound good and are reasonably priced. They will e-mail you some free demo samples if you want to try before you buy.

This is exactally how EZ Drummer works. They have thousands of pre recorded beats, broken into bars. you just drag and drop the bars, into your song.

So, two bars of straight beat, then a bar of fill, then four bars of straight beat, then a roll etc. etc.

I've consistently found that the only people that can make a drum machine/program work well are drummers that also have some tech smarts.

Jim

Every drummer I've ever met really digs how natural my drum programming has become.

It took a while, but studying real drummers and paying attention to how they work, particularly with fills and polyrhythms, and having the patience to use a piano roll over a pattern sequencer really made a huge difference.

I like stuff in odd meter, so EZ Drummer or BIAB is not for me... Jamstix works great as a plug in and is simple or as complex as I need. My $.02... You can change meter 4, 5 ,7 ,6 ,9 or you can just select a personality and let it go to town.

Jamstix often gets mentioned. I've not seen it yet, and I should remedy that. I didn't know that there were not odd meter settings for the others mentioned. (I was pretty sure that the last BIAB that I saw offered a lot of tempo options, but I can't swear that it does what you need.)

Steve Martin

It took a while, but studying real drummers and paying attention to how they work, particularly with fills and polyrhythms,

This.

Understanding how the other instruments function improves your guitar playing too.

Absolutely. The better you understand other instruments, the easier it is to interact with them.

It took a while, but studying real drummers and paying attention to how they work, particularly with fills and polyrhythms,

This.

Understanding how the other instruments function improves your guitar playing too.

Absolutely. The better you understand other instruments, the easier it is to interact with them.

When I first started to delve into MIDI in the 1980s I stumbled across this axiom quite by accident. I was making horrendous string scores... they just didn't come together at all. I was making really nice woodwind recordings. I studied both piano, trumpet, and woodwinds when I was a kid. When I took apart the string sections and started to pay attention to the ranges, attack, sustain, and usage of real strings in conventional recordings, I saw what I was doing wrong. Once I started to apply that to all my MIDI work, the MIDI scores made a lot more sense and came out the way that I intended. Think about the instrument for any instrument you need to emulate... its frequency range, the attack and decay and sustain. You'll make better music.

I also found that it helped to have various MIDI triggers. The MIDI guitar was great for emulating some instruments, but the keyboard was better for others and the DrumKat better for others.

Steve Martin

Archived