Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buckled Strap. Any experience/pros and cons?

anderz

Hey guys, long time no see. Really busy with school and all that stuff.

I'm planning on getting a buckled strap

Product here: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Cliplok-2Inch-Strap?sku=364661

The reason I'd like to get this is because my strap is getting tangled easily, and my strap locks aren't that great. Do you guys know of any info I should have in mind before I buy?

Thanks,

anderseb

Stick it to the man.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/anderseb/

(Muh homepage of greatness)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot tell you how well or poorly these work on guitar straps, but I can tell you that they are absolute garbage on luggage. I bought a pretty pricey set of luggage, and every time I went through and airport, at least one of those buckles broke, sometimes more than one. I finally returned the set.

Why not just get some good Dunlop straplocks?

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Yeah, those kind of springy plastic pop-in clips seem cool at first, but then eventually warp, loosen, or break in one way or another.

If your strap gets twisted and uncomfortable, get one that is very wide- it won't twist around as easily, and distributes the weight of the guitar over a wider area and so is more comfortable.

Personally, I really like the wide version of the Planet Waves jacquard woven straps, with the net-like shoulder-pad that the strap just slides back and forth through as you move around, instead of the whole thing sliding and rubbing on your shoulder and binding up with your clothes. Plus, their fabric "breaths" nicely, and they're cooler feeling and less sweaty than many straps.

And, yeah, Dunlop Straploks rule; Schaller Strap Locks are also very good (but MUST have their strap-born parts installed with Loctite thread-locker!). IMHO, one or the other are a must-have on any electric guitar.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I bought one of those straps in 1988 or so, the vivid red one, and put it on a bass that I and another guy were using in our band. When I left the band, he got custody of the strap.

21 or so years later, it is still in use on the same instrument, with the same clips, and has never given me or the guy who still uses it any problems. The clips have held up just fine, but then carrying most basses and guitars around is not the kind of stress luggage gets, or straps for tying things down. And, I suppose if you constantly clipped and unclipped it in some kind of obsessive/compulsive fit, you could break the clips, but I think they are plenty sturdy for the job they have to do other than that.

They are a great strap, and good looking too. I'd buy another one in a minute. I just never seem to have the money when I think about them.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

dude try this strap

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/LM-Products-Surelock-Nylon-Guitar-Strap?sku=500029

i have a strap like this but black and white and it holds my PRS when i swing it around me and stuff, the strap is pretty much indestructable and you dont have to add anything to ya guitar, just put it on and go

_____DISCIPLE_ROCKS_____

PAUL REED SMITH GUITARS 4 EVER

dude try this strap

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/LM-Products-Surelock-Nylon-Guitar-Strap?sku=500029

i have a strap like this but black and white and it holds my PRS when i swing it around me and stuff, the strap is pretty much indestructable and you dont have to add anything to ya guitar, just put it on and go

It looks good, but I read one of the reviews and it was talking about v's, and then I remembered that I have a v and that's what I'm getting my strap for. You guys think I should get the DiMarzio considering I have a v?

Oh yeah, the reason I'm planning on getting a buckled strap is mainly for conveinence.

Stick it to the man.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/anderseb/

(Muh homepage of greatness)

The Dunlop Straploks pop on and off super easily with the press of a tiny little button; it becomes second-nature. I've never, ever had them pop off accidentally or unexpectedly, either.

And there are some models of the Dunlop Straploks that can still double as "normal" strap-buttons if you need to use a different strap, such as if you forget your strap or something.

And being as its a V, with the one strap-button behind the guitar near the neck-heel there, don't forget to install the hardware on that end of the strap "backwards" so that it inserts into the receptacle without the strap twisting around backwards.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

"And being as its a V, with the one strap-button behind the guitar near the neck-heel there, ..."

In 1969 I moved my strap button of my 1957 Les Paul to the back of the guitar, and have moved almost every one on every guitar that I've owned to that same spot since (except for the Strat...) Ilike the feel.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

"And being as its a V, with the one strap-button behind the guitar near the neck-heel there, ..."

In 1969 I moved my strap button of my 1957 Les Paul to the back of the guitar, and have moved almost every one on every guitar that I've owned to that same spot since (except for the Strat...) Ilike the feel.

I did the same thing to my bitsa-strat and it's heaps better balanced for me.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

dude i use them on my jem and they work perfectly fine. They're not flimsy at all or anything.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Archived