Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dream Band

Eric Iverson

Are any of you old enough to remember the Playboy Dream Band, part of their yearly music poll? Where they put together the most wildly dissimilar musicians you could imagine, who probably had ZERO desire to play with one another AT ALL, and it was supposed to be a band made in heaven??

Have any of you ever felt you were in that band? If so, how long did it last?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember the National Lampoon All-Star Dead Band, made up of famous musicians who had died previously. Well, almost all had died; the drummer was Ginger Baker, who always looked more than half dead back then...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Are any of you old enough to remember the Playboy Dream Band, part of their yearly music poll?

Y'know, come to think of it, I think maybe I do remember that! Very vaguely; I seem to have been distracted at the time...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Where they put together the most wildly dissimilar musicians you could imagine, who probably had ZERO desire to play with one another AT ALL, and it was supposed to be a band made in heaven??

Well, almost every "supergroup" has fallen into that syndrome. The main thing that seems to happen is that everyone is so respectful, so no one takes the reins and runs with it, y'know. There needs to be either a clear leader, or some creative tension. Holding back doesn't make for the best music.

I think, in order to function as a democratic group everyone has to agree and be committed to that as an idea.There is no pefect system. One way to avoid taking the heat as `the boss who`s also a team member` is to let a producer play the heavy. One band I was in-well supergroup would be the wrong term but everyone had their own thing going outside the band-the music was great but tensions went well beyond creative. Personal, philosophical, material, you name it.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

There are still a few dream bands around (Stones, Eagles, etc) and I'm sure Playboy probably put out a few issues with poles (and pictures) to include polls like Madden's dream team, and GP puts out a poll once a year or so for us guitar players....but I've never felt I was good enough to be in a real dream band...and I can't even remember if I dreamed I was in one????
Take care, Larryz

I don't think I could be in a band where I had "zero interest in playing with the others". I have been in a band(s) where I wasn't really excited to play with one of the members (stoopid drummers) which is mostly manageable. But if I felt that way about the whole band I don't think it would be worth it. I'd be cheating both myself and the other people in the band.

Unless that band is how you make your living, it is really just a "hobby" for me, then why stay for any length of time?

Yes, I enjoy playing with our church band, because of the 3 or 4 fine singers. The other instrumentalists are more or less talented beginners. So it's hard to take the instrumental side all that seriously, as in "we're going to come up with beautiful arrangements/cool interplay etc."

But it's not how I make my living and I am definitely not MARRIED to them! And the young kids who came around to practices with their guitars and pedal boards seem to have "zero interest" in learning the tunes we are going to be performing onstage in 3 days time.... just want to jam, etc.... not sure how long I want to deal with that nonsense!

You might suggest two practices...one for those that like to jam and the other for those that want to be on stage in 3 days...got to get serious time in when it comes to performing...hopefully the beginners will only get better and pick on songs that have simple chord patterns at first taking advantage of those 3 or 4 singers to create your sound...
Take care, Larryz

The worship leader at our church decided(or was told, I've never been sure which) to start having some of the kids from the youth group worship team on the adult team. The idea is that salty old toads such as moi should impart their experience and know-how to the tadpoles, and I have to say it has worked out well to an extent. Our kids are serious about worship, and that makes it a lot easier than what your situation sounds like. Our kids learn the tunes and their parts in them before rehearsal night. Some of them they know better than I do, because worship is all, or at least most of what they play.

I can also say that playing with them is sometimes easier than playing with some of the adults. None of the kids have a diva attitude, and that's not true of some of the grown-ups.

I don't think about how good I have it with that team often enough. I've had to play on worship teams where you could rehearse 'em five nights a week and they still wouldn't have the chops to play in front of people, but they're the only people who can even sort of play in the whole congregation. Small churches, small talent pools...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The kids in question haven't come back. I have mixed feelings about it, because they are nice people and are talented enough. But they have to understand certain realities.. Anyway, nobody fired them or told them not to return.

My problem is more with pastors who call tunes we haven't played in months, with a different piano player, and no time to go over them - they want them NOW! They're not that hard, but a lot them I don't remember how they go, and all we have is lyrics with chord symbols. Once I hear 'em I can fake it pretty well; I'd rather not have to BS my way through the tunes.

Sometimes they ask for tunes that are way beyond the skill level of the band, in the time frame we have to try and learn it; especially since none of them practices at home. I've tried to explain this, but they don't necessary want to hear it. So we butcher them for a practice or two, and the tune is abandoned. Seems like a waste of time.....

Don't get me wrong, at times we do sound nice and tight, and we listen to each other and fit in well with the ebb and flow of the service - it's not like it's a totally hopeless situation.

How about recording your tunes Eric? then the new piano players could take a disc home and practice before the presentation, and you could create a disc with the tunes to go along with those chord and lyric sheets to remind you of how the song goes...doesn't have to be a class-A recording, just one that works as a memory aid?
Take care, Larryz

You're right, Larry - I just need to get quality recording equipment.. for lots of reasons. My flute teacher is giving me advanced jazz improvisational ideas, the mother)@#)(*, forcing me to actually WORK HARD FOR A LIVING, and I have to record the stuff to hear how well it actually works...

Archived