Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Current Rig

PocketGroovesGSO

Been playing my F1 through a Barefaced Compact and loving it. I'm playing the T-bass a lot more than the Spector though, until they send me a switch pot for my tone pump.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, it's like old times, right down to Steve considering buying rig #326... ;)

I'm using my RIM Custom 5, into either a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 or an Avalon U5 + QSC PLX 3002. For the last few gigs I've used a Barefaced Big One but I think I'll try a T'Midget or T'Midget/Compact stack next time round. Or maybe a T'Vintage. Or a T'D.M... Choices, choices!

Alex

Yeah, it new rig time but it's really more of an "upgrade" as it's still the same company and I'm only adding a couple inches and a channel.

I love and hate all the choices we have these days. I did my A/B last night and I'm going to get the Max 12 and 112 cab. It sounded GREAT, and last night wa about as loud as I'd play without PA support and I had plenty of headroom. The combo/extension sounded really nice, too, but the 12 obviously had more depth and low end, and the Max 12 two channel head is just indescribable.

The best part is it's Genz Benz. I have been very pleased with their gear over the last few years.

Wow, I haven't done the Fish swap in a while. More importantly, I haven't felt the urge in months...

Here is what I play almost every day:

-Stock EBMM Stingray 5H w/ coated slinkies

-Fender 50's P bass w/ chrome flats and a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Vintage pup

Avatar Neo210, Gallien Kreuger 1001RB-II

Life is good at the moment, gas is almost non-existent.

I just traded a bunch of older/cheaper gear for a guitar for my son as he wants to get serious with it and he needs something better then a Squier mini.

Left standing:

2003 Music Man Stingray 4H w/EB Slinkys

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout

Traynor TC1510 cab (2x10" & 1x15" together in case the scout is somehow too quiet on its own :rawk: )

Ibanez PH-7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive

Bass stuff currently giving me GAS:

Suitable starter bass for my daughter

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz

Other stuff likely to be soon going on the block:

Yorkville BM400 1x15" combo (after I replace the busted passive input jack, stepped on cord >>> jack ripped right out)

Fender Bassman 25 (probably going to trade on a Fender B-Dec for daughter)

Behringer Bass V-Amp

A little OT but this year I started exploring the little stringed buggers as well and since other Lowdowners also do so ... :D

Guitar Gear:

2002 Epiphone Les Paul

2004 Squier Strat (a great one that took forever to find, definitely better then some Mexican Fenders, best pawnshop score ever)

Crate V18 2x12"

Marshall Guv'nor

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

Guitar GAS:

Seymour-Duncan P-Rails for LP

Bigsby for LP

Tort guard for strat

Newf :)

I'm still using the eminence basslite equipped kick drum shell speaker cab here:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1738927/1

The pics on photobucket on page two still work; goecities photos do not.

Speaker #2 is a Behringer plastic cab 12" loaded with an eminence deltalite. It is wonderful, except I wish I'd have done it with a 15" instead.

Amp: Ashdown Superfly. It works well, but the EQ section is a PIA since when you move the control it takes a couple three seconds for the tone to change. I'd give my kingdom for a knob. (Ha! I said knob.) As such, I only really use the bass and treble on board my Synapse fretless, which is the #1 ax.

Sure SM58, Mackie SR150 vocal monitor which mounts onto my mic stand.

Small suitcase with wheels. Rode hard and put away wet.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Fishy fishy fishy fish:

Alembic Essence

Alembic John Paul Jones

Alembic Rogue 5 custom

Mike Lull M4V fretless

Modulus Quantum 4

Musicman Stingray 5

Rogue 8-string

A bass I made from a 2x4

Maybe something else that is cooking in the garage (oar knot)

Amps and junk:

Acoustic B600H (lives in one bands rehearsal space 100% of the time)

Aguilar DB628

Ampeg SVP-CL

Mesa Boogie Venture combo

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout combo (my current practice at home amp)

Stewart World 1.6 power amp

SWR Mini Mo

Speaker things:

Markbass 4x10

Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x15

SWR Goliath III (lives with the Acoustic B600H at rehearsal space)

Ive got a somewhat sizable collection of pedals. Some of which I use regularly and some that sit around collecting dust in a drawer.

My current GAS is actually for a Mesa Boogie V12 head and happening across another used Diesel 2x15 that I can pick up on the cheap. Because if Im already moving one into all the gigs with the hair metal tribute band I might as well have two. Its just that much more rock. And ridiculous. Which is the whole point. And eventually Ill order that 5 string Essence from the hippies at Alembic. But that shouldnt be for at least another year or two depending on a number of things.

I also have been thinking really seriously about selling several of those basses that dont say Alembic on them. I havent touched that poor Stingray in ages. Maybe a preamp or two that I havent been using anytime recently either.

Update:

I bought the Max 12 and Shuttle 112 cab. I have gigged it in all but one of my bands and it is fantastic. I think I have found the proverbial "tone-in-my-head" with this rig. I did a jazz trio for a fancy reception last night (easy background music) and a quintet gig (fairly loud with no PA) and played it in church today with PA. The FOH sounded so good - as did my amp as a monitor on stage. I leave my Sadowsky and Max 12 basically flat and the sound is incredible.

I've said it before (as we all have) but this may be the set up for me. Great playing bass, great sounding bass and amp, looks good, easy to move, loud, great DI. As I played this morning I wasn't constantly listening for things to fix, or tweaking or anything. I just played and enjoyed - both the amp and the bass. I thought I'd really miss my 5 string, but the Sadowsky i sso effortless and comfortable, I just love playing.

The instruments...

- Peavey Fury-5 (main)

- Hofner Icon-B (4 to 5 songs per gigs - we play Beatles songs only)

- Hagstrom HIIBN (backup)

- Barracuda P and J kind'a mix (See * note below)

- Korg Sigma (75-80'ish full analog "old school" Keybd Synth for special bass sounds) - ex: Mr Mustard/Beatles

In Between stuff...

- Korg DTR2000 tuner

- BBE Bmax preamp (DI out to PA if required - happend once in a large arena)

- Ernie Ball EB6165 Pan/Stereo Volume Pedal used as Pan between 2 basses

The Power stuff...

- Peavey CS1000X Pwr Amp (yep, it's heavy, but it does the job, runs on ONE channel only for now)

- Peavey 2x15, my main (came with a Peavey Bass head eons ago <- This head is a backup, stay in the van - 2X15 is main until replaced by something more convenient one day, has been doing the job for year snow) Band's PA is last backup system in case my own system dies on me - never happened.

(*) I bought this one for traveling (jeremyC, it's BLUE, except the Hofner of course, all others are RED). Why this one? Well, I sat in the music store and play a lot of clones, this one passed the test. It did make it to Cuba through a custom carton box I made - more on this in one of the "flight Travel" threads when I have time - but I left it there permanently at a Cuban friend's house. So, it is out of bounds except 2 or 3 times a year when I flight down there to meet and play music with my friends.

P.S. My Cuban music gigs are absolutely incredible. I play rock and Beatles songs - they LOVE it - rarely play latin music when in Cuba.

Steve, the clock is ticking on this one. The stretch with the other Genz Benz rig may have been a record.

It seems I'm always on the clock, but this isn't TOO far from my old rig. It's still a Shuttle, still Genz Benz, still small, light, portable and even better sounding. Once I get my bag for the head I think it will still even be a one trip load in. It's almost like I didn't change anything...except that it sounds 10 times better.

Rickenbacker 4003 ('99 mapleglo)

Galveston UB8000 (8-string unpaired)

2x Hartke HA 3500

2x Hartke 410TP

I am also "babysitting" a Yorkville BM100 for a year. This has been a great back-saver for small room gigs.

Almost all live gigs are done with the Ric and a half stack. Bass studio work is done exclusively with the Ric (direct).

I'm right now being offered a Hartke 4x10XL series and a MesaBoogie 2x10 RoadReady (the one that weighs a ton and is a rack in itself)... anyone tried those? I've seen both on stage lots of times but have not played them directly, so my reference could very well be "biased" by whatever they do to the bass signal at the PA, and room acoustics et al... I'm supposed to answer to this guy within hours, and I think the price he's offering those is just right (these two cabs and a brand new SKB 4-spc rack case for a little more than I find on a local store the Laney 4x10" and 1x15" cabs (which I personally dislike)... any comments? TIA!.

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Fishy fishy fishy fish:

Alembic Essence

Oh.. is that one anew? :) You know.. without pics... :P

I've just entered the Alembic Club as well (am also at the Alembic forum, BTW), and am VERY MUCH in love with mine, so I totally relate to the feeling you describe on your post..

Speaker things:

Markbass 4x10

Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x15

How does the Diesel relates to the RoadReady series? (See my post below), is it the only difference the rack case? Is the sound worth the weigh-a-ton?

This may sound even beyond stupid to some... but that's the way I act sometimes ;) How does the Hartke 4x10XL relates to the Markbass or others 4x10s you might have tried in the past?

Both my 2 2x10" and 4x10" current cabinets are "custom made" locally, and certainly not by experts nor with premium-class materials. They don't sound bad, anyway, but I'm looking for something to fill up the stage with sound, if you get what I mean. I've been playing a lot of semi-outdoors or stage-too-big-and-open gigs where I have little (or none) sidefill monitoring playing mostly dance music, and it gets hard sometimes to get myself heard loud and clear onstage. This guy called with this offer, but I'll probably have to think twice before pulling the trigger (right after the Alembic, I bought for it a Mono Case which I love, and my beloved one has just bought me the Dual Bass Case as a Xmas gift ("You'll need it when carrying also the fretless...".. Lovely! :) ) and I am also looking at a pair of Stagg 4x12 guitar cabs (also cheap around here), so I'm not sure... :P

I also have been thinking really seriously about selling several of those basses that dont say Alembic on them. I havent touched that poor Stingray in ages.

As I said, I totally relate to the feeling... :P :P

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, why not...

Fish

2 Ibanez SR305s

Fender MIM Jazz Bass (the newest addition)

Custom Steve Harris Tribute Bass (SX P-bass body, upgraded with the appropriate hardware.)

Other stuff

Markbass CMD121P

Markbass Little Mark II (primarily backup)

Boss ME-20B processor

The Jazz bass is about to get some mods of its own (pick-ups, bridge), but the Ibanez stuff sees the most action. The 2x10 hasn't been out of the practice room in almost 2 years, but that and the LMII play back-up amp, or when I can justify having a bigger stage rig (almost never.)

I recently added a GK 1x15 cab to my backline choices. It has a reconed Boogie 15" in it which I think may be an EVM, and no horn. It really sounds killer.

I have also picked up a pair of old EV SRO 15s that I am looking for a cab to put in. They sound great even out of a cab. I came up in the day when bass amps all had one of two 15s in 'em(w/no horn), and that's a comfortable sound to me.

What I'm looking for now is an active fretless five that I can afford(read as "that someone wants to donate")...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Update:

I bought the Max 12 and Shuttle 112 cab. I have gigged it in all but one of my bands and it is fantastic. I think I have found the proverbial "tone-in-my-head" with this rig. I did a jazz trio for a fancy reception last night (easy background music) and a quintet gig (fairly loud with no PA) and played it in church today with PA. The FOH sounded so good - as did my amp as a monitor on stage. I leave my Sadowsky and Max 12 basically flat and the sound is incredible.

I've said it before (as we all have) but this may be the set up for me. Great playing bass, great sounding bass and amp, looks good, easy to move, loud, great DI. As I played this morning I wasn't constantly listening for things to fix, or tweaking or anything. I just played and enjoyed - both the amp and the bass. I thought I'd really miss my 5 string, but the Sadowsky i sso effortless and comfortable, I just love playing.

Update:

The Max 12/Shuttle 112 are working out great. I debated an Avalon U5 as a friend offered one to me, but I did a little A/B'ing and was able to set the FET channel on my Max 12 to sound VERY similar to the setting I liked on the Avalon. More kudos for the Genz Benz boys.

The Sadowsky rocks, but I do miss my 5 string. I have an MV5 coming and I'll A/B and see. If the 5 sounds great, I'll be selling the RV4. Can't afford 2 Sadowskys.

Basses

• Human Base JbX-tra 4 string with rounds (*zing*)
  • Fender CIJ Precision with TI Jazz flats (*thud*)
  • Yamaha RBX 270, collecting dust

Amps

• MarkBass Mini CMD 121P
  • Peavey Minx 110

Effects

• Zoom B2.1u multi-effect thingy
  • Boss ODB-3

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

-- Leonardo da Vinci

• 2 weeks later...

Got three (lefty)basses, an ESP-Ltd B-50 (half retired from use), a Tokai precision, (which I got for the old-school-looks) that I mostly play with, at home and at rehearsals with one of my bands. Plus a Rockbass Vampyre 5-string, that I use when playing with the other band that I'm in.

At rehearsals with the melodic-metal band, the Vampyre comes out through an old Roland Studiobass-100. Don't know any specs but it has a 15" speaker...200-300w?

As for rehearsing with the old-school-hardrock band, the Precision blasts through a Warwick stack that's made from a Profet 5.2 and two WCA410 4x10 cabinets

Home-amp is a Roland Cube 100w combo

That's pretty much it. I don't use any effects cos I like to keep it simple/,,/

Rock on

Basses

1976 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio pickups

MIM Jazz

Amps

Hartke LH500 head

Hartke HyDrive 410 cab

197? Garnet 210 "The Deputy" combo

I use the Harke rig all the time and the Precision most of the time. I like the neck on the Jazz better but don't use it that often as the pickups are little weak.

Hah! My appologies. You're absolutely correct, Steve. Now I just think it's silly of GB to call it that. It's like calling it an IC channel rather than SS. Just weird that they decided to call it that instead of using its usual terminology.

oops! looks like it's time for real science!

ok, so there are a three main types of transistors, BJTs, JFETs, and MOSFETs. they are all three different from each other in the arrangement of silicon inside. they also have relative strengths and weaknesses in dissipative amplifier designs (class A, A/B, B). mesa engineering started the notion that MOSFET outputs sound more tube-like. more realistically they are more voltage tolerant, so some companies use them. many still use BJTs. MOSFETs are really the only device to use for switching designs (class D).

ICs (e.g. an op-amp) are analog and solid state, but you can also use discrete transistors for analog design. both are equally solid state. however discrete designs give you many more opportunities to vastly improve performance (hence discrete design being listed as a feature on many high end studio pieces).

now for your regularly scheduled program...

i'm still using my cirrus BXP 4 nearly exclusively.

live i use a warwick quadruplet preamp with a crest pro7200 power amp. i have a bergantino HT112 and a bergantino EX112, each powered by one amplifier channel (590W into 8Ω each).

i am also working on rehabbing a 1970s ampeg V4 (thanks, Bill!). it needs toobs. i pair that with a 1980s carvin 115 for great vintage tone.

for recording i use a johnson j-station modeling preamp. i use the SWR IOD model with a peavey 1516 cabinet model. i add some lowpassed compression to control the low end. yes.

1. Sadowsky RV-4 (Sea Foam Green and VTC)

ha!

1This rig is the robb. tribute rig. The preamp was robb.ified. The power amp was purchased used when robb. was still with Peavey, and I'd had quite a few PM conversations with robb. previously about power amps in general. The speaker cabinet was purchased when robb. was in town and he, Madball, and I were at Rudy's Music Stop together. It's tone-errific. Thx, robb.

what can i say? i'm shedding a little tear of pride over here. i can attest that all three pieces, independently, are excellent. i am not surprised they pass the test when assembled.

robb.

It's been a few weeks and I'm still using the same stuff- Sadowsky RV4, GB Max 12, Shuttle 112 cab. Ha! Yee of little faith.

I did buy/try a Sadowsky MV5 just to be sure, but I prefer the RV4. The MV5 is for sale. No surprise there I guess, except that I find myself prefering 4 strings these days. I didn't see that coming.

The Yamama is also for sale but no bites. I may just try new electronics in that one for the heck of it. Try an Aguilar preamp and maybe some other pups. Not sure, Nordstrands or something maybe.

Wow, I haven't done the Fish swap in a while. More importantly, I haven't felt the urge in months...

Here is what I play almost every day:

-Stock EBMM Stingray 5H w/ coated slinkies

-Fender 50's P bass w/ chrome flats and a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Vintage pup

Avatar Neo210, Gallien Kreuger 1001RB-II

Life is good at the moment, gas is almost non-existent.

Wow....

Two above basses are gone.

I purchased another EBMM Stingray that will be shipped from theperfectbass.com on 1/4/10.

I have a modded SX fretless P-Bass with SD quarter pound pickup and Fender US bridge with TI flats. I just picked up a fretted maple neck that will fit on just right...

Robb, what about BiFET transistors? Also, I thought ICs were solid state just integrated. Didn't you mean analog and digital?

there's also IGBTs, but who uses them in output stages? (i'll give you a hint -- it's the same number that uses BiFETs, MESFETs, or other less ubiquitous transistor technologies.) IGBTs are good for high voltage switching power supplies.

as for ICs, yes, they can be digital, too. i was keeping it in the realm of previous discussion and shouldn't have for the sake of clarity.

robb.

Archived