Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Current Rig

PocketGroovesGSO

Basses (the things that change most & too often):

Reverend Rumblefish PJ (the only sacrosanct one)

G&L JB

G&L JB2

fretless G&L SB-2

G&L Tribute JB2

G&L Tribute SB2 (one or more basses will head out soon)

Amps:

Markbass Mini CMD121P combo (handles 90+% of my playing these days)

Pignose Hog (20? 30?) battery powered combo

Carvin B800 head

Yamaha BBT-500H head

2x Schroeder 115+Ls

I've got an assortment of toys (digital wireless, Digitech Jamman looper, Dunlop DI/distortion, Zoom multi, Zoom H2) that get occasional use (when warranted) but 90+% of my playing is the bass of the day into the Markbass combo.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In all it's simplistic, kick-ass glory.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs021.snc1/3052_69953306246_652476246_1792463_7860661_n.jpg

That's luvlii. Really. The cabs and rackcase are sexy.

What kind of speakers are in those homemade cabs o' doom?

Peace.

--SW

EVPro15B and a newly reconed Bag End 12".

The Bag End has a great snarl to it and the 15 is pure taint-rumbling bottom end. :love:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I'll play too. :) In no importance order:

BASSES:

Alembic Epic 5 :)

Hondo Neck-Thru P-P w. DiMarzios

Samick 5 P-J

Peavey Foundation S 4 P+J W. Bartolinis

Hamer Slammer Jazz 4

Alvarez Fretless 4

Fernandes Jazz 4 w. Bartolinis

Kramer Duke headless 4

Washburn "P" bass 4, maple fingerboard

Washburn XB105 5

Peavey Grind 4 w. EMGs (DC35J)

Fretmaster EAB

Amp Rigs

The "BIG" rack: (8spc)

- Nady 201 wireless receiver

- Littlite power conditioner

- Behringer rack tuner

- Yamaha PB1 Bass preamp

- DBX 163x compressor

- Digitech RDS1900 digital delay

- QSC GX5 power amp

The "Mobile" rack: (3 spc):

- Nady PEM500 In-Ear monitor transmitter

- Samson Stage 5 wireless receiver

- Behringer V-amp Bass Pro preamp/Efx.

Other amps:

- Hartke Systems HA2000 head

- Fender BXR Dual 400 head

- Gallien-Krueger MB200 12" combo.

Other outboard efx:

- Morley Power Wah

- DOD Phaser

- DOD Octoplus.

CABS:

Custom 2x10" cab (deeper)

Custom 2x10" cab (Shallower)

Custom 4x10" cab (Shallow)

Custom 1x15" cab (Shallow)

Custom 1x10" cab

Custom 1x12" cab (was a -damaged, guts out- Washburn combo amp)

I generally don't use /use very little any pedals on my bass rig, unless a very specific situation calls for them. I arrange the rigs/cabs as needed.

For small, Jazz club-like gigs, I love my GK's sound, with-or-without the 1x10" or the 1x12", depending basically on my mood. For anything from small to medium sized gigs, I take out the Hartke (which is conveniently fit on a 2-spc SKB rack) with the "shallow" 2x10, Unless I am playing a Dance gig OR anything -generally with a 5 string- louder than a small, closed space venue, then I'd take the two 2x10" as a first option, then I'd start juggling cabs and amps as needed. The Fender BXR and the 1x15", however, are the ones I take out less -that is, once in about three years- since the BXR is HEAVY and the 1x15 is bulky (and I generally get the job done with any of the 10" speaker combinations).

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Ok I'll play now that I'm home and since a couple things have changed since the last one of these threads.

Basses:

Dingwall Afterburner I 5-string

Fender MIM jazz 5-string

Ibanez BTB400

Epiphone Rockbass (defretted)

NS Design WAV 4-string EUB

American Standard ~1920's URB

Amps:

GK MB2-500

Fender Bassman 400 (for sale as soon as I stop being lazy)

AccuGroove Tri112L

fEarful 12+6 and 12sub (currently under construction)

Pedals:

Samson Airline wireless (hasn't been used in several years)

Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus

Fulltone Bass-Drive

EBS BassIQ

EBS OctaBass (in the mail now)

I just realized that all my effects have the word "bass" in them...just in case I forget.

Trying to decide if one 12" is "better" than two 10's.

The Max 12 over the Shuttle 9.0 is a no brainer to me. I am mostly a FET guy, but it's nice to have the option to mix in whatever amount or not of tube you want or don't. Can't do that with the normal Shuttles. FET for jazz gigs, a little tube for horn band and rock covers, etc. That would be nice.

BTW - I am loving the Sadowsky RV4.

Trying to decide if one 12" is "better" than two 10's.

That's both an over-generalization and a matter of taste that simply can't be answered in those terms. It's impossible to judge a speaker by its diameter.

The Max 12 over the Shuttle 9.0 is a no brainer to me. I am mostly a FET guy, but it's nice to have the option to mix in whatever amount or not of tube you want or don't. Can't do that with the normal Shuttles. FET for jazz gigs, a little tube for horn band and rock covers, etc. That would be nice.

If you're reffering to field-effect transistors...that's a rather unorthodox term to use for solid state amplifiers. Cute.

If you're reffering to field-effect transistors...that's a rather unorthodox term to use for solid state amplifiers. Cute.

Not trying to be cute. That's how they are labeled on Genz Benz amps.

Hah! My appologies. You're absolutely correct, Steve. Now I just think it's silly of GB to call it that. It's like calling it an IC channel rather than SS. Just weird that they decided to call it that instead of using its usual terminology.

Hah! My appologies. You're absolutely correct, Steve. Now I just think it's silly of GB to call it that. It's like calling it an IC channel rather than SS. Just weird that they decided to call it that instead of using its usual terminology.

Yeah, I don't know why they chose the terms they did.

As much as I love GB, I am tempted to go modeling again. The preamps are not in play to the FOH unless you go post EQ. I don't like to go post EQ as then you can't make adjustments on stage without messing up the FOH signal. With a Pod, I can send a FOH signal and one to a stage amp and make adjustments on the stage amp to accomodate the room,etc.

I am as screwed up as usual. I do really like my Sadowsky though.

I don't like to go post EQ as then you can't make adjustments on stage without messing up the FOH signal.

I agree. Weird they do not give you a pre-EQ option.

You could just do a DI in front of input of the Genz-Benz. That assumes you are not using the preamp for some effect (like overdriving the input). Do you still have that Radial box?

I don't like to go post EQ as then you can't make adjustments on stage without messing up the FOH signal.
That assumes you are not using the preamp for some effect (like overdriving the input). Do you still have that Radial box?

They do give a pre eq option.

What I was getting at was that I wish you could get the tone of the preamp (tube or otherwise) before the EQ to the FOH so you could still EQ your stage amp without messing up the FOH eq. Know what I mean?

Honestly, Steve, I don't know what you mean.

Maybe you put a nice DI in front of the amp that gives a phat bass signal from your instrument and not worry about the amp at all. Such as suggested by Reverend Getz76.

How much of that nuance is the audience really going to hear anyway?

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Honestly, Steve, I don't know what you mean.

Maybe you put a nice DI in front of the amp that gives a phat bass signal from your instrument and not worry about the amp at all. Such as suggested by Reverend Getz76.

How much of that nuance is the audience really going to hear anyway?

Peace.

--SW

You're right. They won't hear nuance. But they would notice something like a strong overdrive. I should just get an Avalon U5, a power amp and nice full range cab. My favorite tone is my bass DI'ed to the FOH anyway.

I'm just thinking too much again. Sorry for derailing the thread. I'll stay out.

I am indeed a reverend.

Why not just keep it simple, and get a Countryman Type 85?

Well, it's not so much about the DI as I am thinking that I'd like a little more umph than my 1x10, 175 watt combo gives. Not necessarily volume (maybe a little) but just more bottom.

Of course that starts my brain going which is a bad thing. No matter what amp I am playing or how much I like it (I lov eGenz Benz) I always go back to how I really love my bass through a DI into a nice PA - like at church.

What I really want is a way to get that in a more portable solution. I'm thinking a nice DI, a power amp and a nice full range cab. The church has subs and 3 way tops so I know I can''t haul that around, but surely there's a cab that comes close enough. Powered would be better.

I'd like to have a DI/Preamp so I could bring it to church or other gigs where adequate FOH/Monitors are provided - like church, outdoor festivals, etc. Than use that with a power amp/cab for stand alone jazz gigs.

How 'bout scrapping the current wussy rig, getting an Avalon U5, a Glockenklang Bugatti 400 power amp (maybe 2), Berg NV610 and NV412 and then send the signal to the audience through a nice Behringer Ultra-DI DI400P.

EDIT: Maybe add some lights and spinny things in a 12U rack.

I got your nuance right here.

The Max 12 and ST112 sounded great. Not that it was that much better than the 3.0-10T/110 stack, just different - in a good way of course. The versatility of the Max with 2 channels is tough to beat. I think I have a new amp. The best part is it's probably more portable than the little combo and extension cab.

Ah, it's like old times, right down to Steve considering buying rig #326... ;)

I'm using my RIM Custom 5, into either a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 or an Avalon U5 + QSC PLX 3002. For the last few gigs I've used a Barefaced Big One but I think I'll try a T'Midget or T'Midget/Compact stack next time round. Or maybe a T'Vintage. Or a T'D.M... Choices, choices!

Alex

Archived