Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Current Rig

PocketGroovesGSO

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My current rig consists of two 4-string basses (Ibanez ATK700 and Yamaha RBX460, converting Yamaha to fretless) and one 5-string bass (Traben Chaos Obsession). My amp rig is a simple Ampeg BA115HP combo amp. Ernie Ball Slinky strings on all 3 (LaBella nylonwounds on Yamaha after fretless conversion), Mogami cables, and Korg tuner.

I find myself going back and forth between the Ibanez ATK700 and the Traben Chaos Obsession a lot. I take these two basses to every session, and whichever has a more appropriate tone for the song is the one that I play. The Traben has a darker, more organic tone, where the ATK has a brighter tone with less mids.

I play mostly studio sessions with very little live application, so this rig is more than what I need. In most instances, I record direct into ProTools, so I rarely need the amp to record. My 3 basses have 3 different pickup configurations and are made of different woods, so I have a lot of tonal possibilities. And when I do play live, I run through the combo and send a signal to the house PA with the XLR DI on the amp. Small, simple, efficient.

Josh Senic

Session Bassist

Pocket Grooves

Laying Down The Low End

http://www.wix.com/pocketgroovesgso/official

1. Sadowsky RV-4 (Sea Foam Green and VTC)

2. Boss TU-2 Tuner/mute pedal (it is what it is)

3. Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T combo (175 watt 1x10 combo)

For gigs with no PA where I need/want a little more I have a 1x10 extension cab to get me up to 300 watts and a little more speaker surface area.

For gigs with PA support I use the DI out of my combo. I have tried external DI's and may again for fun, but the built in DI is very good and does the job just fine.

I also have a Yamaha BB605 modded with Bartolini pups and preamp that was my main bass for a long time. I keep it around for sentimental and practical reasons. Never know when I may need/want a 5 string for a gig or set and it has a different sound and feel than the Sadowsky.

Pretty simple, efficient and portable. I am always looking for the next thing I can't live without, but this combination of gear seems to have all my gigs covered for now. Easy to haul, looks good and it sounds pretty good, too.

The Lull M5V gets the most use. The Fender Geddy Lee signature with tapewound strings is a blast to play. The Warwick Thumb 5 NT is brilliant, but a bit heavy. The Rob Allen MB2-5 is beautiful and perfect for the situations that call for it.

Amplification. The best situation is whatever backline is provided. Else it is some combinations of the things I own. It is like a prix fixe menu:

Choose one of each (1) preamplifier and power amp OR integrated head and (2) two cabinets. See vegetarian substitute available.

AMPLIFICATION

One each of...

Preamplifiers

Kern IP-777

Demeter VTBP-201s

SWR Interstellar Overdrive

Summit Audio 2BA-221

Power Amplifier

Stewart World 2.1

Peavey DPC-1400X

OR

One of...

Integrated Amplifiers

Aguilar DB359

Eden WT-405

Gallien Krueger MB2-500

AND

Two of...

Cabinets

Acme Low B-2

Acme Low B-2

Bergantino HT112

Bergantino EX112

Bergantino HT322 (counts as two)

Ampeg SVT-410HE (counts as two)

OR

Vegetarian Substitute

Gallien Krueger MB150E-III

For pedals, I have a bunch. I really only consider the Z.Vex Woolly Mammoth, the SansAmp Bass Driver DI, and the Keeley Ibanez Baked TS-9 these days. For a tuner, I have been using my iPhone lately.

For recording, I generally bring my preamplifiers with me in a rack. The last couple of times, I have ended up just going DI into a Countryman Type 85.

I have a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass and the new (to me) Schecter Diamond Jazz bass.

For amplicfication, I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 head running into a SWR Workingmans 2x10.

That cab is heavy as all get out for a 2x10. My next purchase will be a lightweight 1x12.

I really like Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings.

How do you sign a computer screen?

Roscoe LG3005

GenzBenz Shuttle 6.0

1 ACME Low B-2

Micro Pog and Boss Flanger pedal and an EBS BassIQ.

G-B/effects/cords in a gig bag over one shoulder, bass in a bag over the other and both hands free to carry the ACME - one trip load in. Yeah, that works for me!

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

My fish are an OLP Tony Levin Signature model five string, which is my No.1 and I end up playing most of the time, a Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass, a parts P bass a friend loaned me, a cheapo parts P Bass that I haven't quite had the nerve to bring out in public yet(it's pink, and I just haven't found the right color leopard skin strap to go with...), and an Ashbory that needs (and is going)to see more use. My amp is an SWR SM-500 head, and whatever choice works between an Avatar 4x10, a G-K 1x15 with a reconed Boogie 15", and/or a Peavey DX210. My favorite is the G-K 1x15, wish I had two of 'em. I have a Boss Bass Chorus, a Digitech Dual Band Compressor, and Danelectro FAB flanger, but I don't use any of them much. I do think I'm going to start using the compressor more, to even out the level between my low & high strings.

It's more than a guy who lives in a one-bedroom apartment should have, but then I didn't talk about all the guitar & PA gear I'm stumbling over too. Guess I'm just a gasoholic...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

My basses include:

- Music Man Sterling 5 (brand new)

- MIM Fender Jazz 4-string fretless

- Marcus Miller Fender Jazz 4-string

- Michael J. Kelly Dragonfly 4-string acoustic-fretless.

Of all those, the Marcus Miller bass was my main axe for a number of years but with the recent 5-string purchase, it's been put aside while I work on acclimating myself to the extra string. I did just pull it out for Monday's practice and it felt sooooooooooo good to play again! We'll see what happens tonight with the STerling 5.

The Dragonfly acoustic looks really pretty on my wall, but I'm not crazy about the unamplified sound among other things. Yeah, I should've just gone for the gusto and got me an affordable upright, but that'll have to wait now!

My amp rig consists of a Hartke 3500 amplifier and a Hartke VX410 cab (with the paper speakers). I also have a Hartke 410TP but don't care for it that much, so it sits in the band room.

Effects? Used to use one of the Zoom multi-pedals but for the last few years haven't felt the need to alter my sound and just rely on my fingers (and the amp eq). I have been thinking of a good Envelope Filter, but not sure that I would use it enough to justify one (my bands are more classic-rock/jamband oriented).

www.DrivingRain.us

www.JumbledMess.com

www.myspace.com/KizmetWorcester

Current Rig:

Eden World Traveler WT-550 amp

Eden D210XLT cab

Eden D210XST cab

Eden D115XLT cab

DBX 160XT compressor

Furman Rackrider power conditioner

Also (Won't be keeping these though -- that's another story)

Hartke HA 3500 amp

Hartke 4.5 XL cab

Basses

1976 Fender Jazz Bass (slightly modded) -- 20 percent

1997 Pedulla Rapture J2-5 -- 80 percent

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I'll play.

Basses (in order of preference)

Epiphone Les Paul 5 string

Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones sig. 5 String

Fender Jazz (1971 body) w/ fretless K&T neck, EMG's

Spector Legend 4 string

Effects

Planet Waves Tuner

ElectroHarmonix Black Finger compressor

HomeBrew Electronics Hematoma overdrive

Dunlop 105Q wah

BYOC Ping Pong Echo/Delay

Boss Chorus

all housed on a Pedal Train Pro, w/Planet Waves cable

Amps/cabinets

Main gigging amp: Phil Jones Bass SixPak; sometimes teamed with

GenzBez 2x10 cabinet

Practice rig: Carvin R1000 head (racked w/BBE Sonic Maximizer)

Carvin Redline 1x15 cabinet (sometimes gigged with the GB 2x10 as well)

Portable/coffeehouse amp:

Phil Jones Bass Briefcase (2x5 speakers, 100 watts)

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

My Turn:

Gig Rig is a G-K 1001RB II and an Acme B-2

I still have my CBS era Bassman 15" cab and Hartke TP410 if I ever need to move more air.

No toys. DI out of the front of my amp when needed.

Basses are:

No-name P-style currently wearing 1/2 rounds. Don't use it much.

OLP 4 string project bass. It's currently waiting for me to have the time/money to work on it.

Ibanez Ergodyne 5-string. Lightest bass guitar I've ever hung on my shoulder. It sees some use when I'm working with electric musicians.

ESP LTD 6-string currently wearing DR Sunbeams, but I'm thinking about trying TI Jazz Flats on it. It's become my main bass again, now that I'm working with an acoustic guitaris/vocalist.

Currently This is my main gear...

I've gone back to mostly using my ol' Guild Pilot SB605 5 string but I occasionally use my Warwick Thumb 5 with the bolt on neck.

For amlification I use an Eden WT-330 head with an Avatar B410-Neo cab.

For toys I use a DI box, a Korg tuner pedal, a Boss chorus pedal and a Zoom multi-effects pedal.

I have other basses and amps at home but I am not using them out to gigs at the moment.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I have 8 basses plus 2 more in the "project" stage.

The ones I use most are:

Modified MIM Jazz

MIJ Jazz

Warmoth PJ

Amps:

For rehearsal and small gig - Ampeg BA115HP

For outdoors or large venues - Peavey MkIV w/ Peavey 410TX cab

I have a Genz Benz 1x15 that I sometimes use with the 4x10 as a monitor for the drummer.

I have a metic ton of effects pedals and 2 powered boards but in my current band I don't use any of them.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Amps

Walter Woods Ultra

Eden WT 550

Ampeg 1972 SVT

Mesa Walkabout

GK 400RB

Combos

Mesa Walkabout Scout

1960's Ampeg B 15

1960's Ampeg B 12

1980's Ampeg B 15T ( Solid State)

GK MB150E

Cabs

Bag End S 15 D ( 2 ea )

Bag End D 212

Carl Weber 12" cabs custom made

Acme 4 ohm B 2

Acme 4 ohm B 1

SWR 4 Ohm Goliath 4 x 10

Basses - an assortment of Nash, Lakland, Fender, Factor. I sold 4 of the 5 Sadowskys.

www.danielprine.com

Since I buy a sell Fenders, I always have 10-15 laying around. I play them all but my main axe, my girl friend, is my custom FrankenFender. Neck is a factory replacement neck for a 1991 US Preciaion Plus, ( 22 fret, small headstock) with Schaller vintage tuners. Custom body, solid mahogany (Shape is American Deluxe Precision with P/J configuration) The neck pickup is 3/4' closer to neck for smoother tone. Nordstrand P/J pups and TI Jazz flats. it is passive with vol/tone/vol/tone controls.

After trying many, many amps my favorite tone amp is a Fender Bassman 150 (Eminance Deltalite 12" neo) only 39 lbs., I love it. My favorite cable is a "Snap-Jack" NO PEDALS, I keep it simple.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I sold all of the Sadowskys.

Pardon me?! I missed this news item.

Peace.

--s-uu

Will I did a small edit to my post..I sold 4 of the 5 Sadowskys...the one I kept is an early 4 string and has some damage on the face of the body..so I decided to keep it... I grew tired of that tone and am really digging the passive basses I have.. I really love the Nash P Bass...its the only bass I have used in the past two years.

www.danielprine.com

Primary Rig:

Peavey Firebass 700 II head

Peavey 810TVX cab

Peavey 215D-BW cab.

Backup Rig:

Peavey Mark III Bass head

Ampeg PR1528HE cab

Effects:

Boss ME-50B

Basses:

Primary - Ken Smith custom BSR4EG 4-string lined fretless

Brice HXB-405 5 string unlined fretless

Ibanez TRB-100 4 string fretted

Lotus L700 4 string fretted (never play this one)

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Currently playing a 1991 Black Gibson Thunderbird through an Ampeg SVT-4PRO mono bridged into an 8x10 Ampeg classic cabinet. This goes through an EBS MultiDrive and Tech21 bass driver direct to in-ear monitors.

In past bands, I have used various Fender American Precisions (1971, 1996, and two 2006 Mike Dirnt Signature Models) as well as a 2001 Rickenbacker 4003. I played these throught the SVT-4PRO and into a Hartke 410xl and 4.5xl.

i use my american fender precision the most (fitted with a bassmute (http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html)and d'addario halfround strings)

a markbass SA450 into markbass 151HR (along the road i plan to add another cabinet to this)

boss tuner > boss bass eq (off when i use pick) > boss oc-3 > sansamp programmable bassdriver DI (only for different distortions, otherwise off)

i use the DI from the head because the head tends to growl just the way i like it (and a precision can use this :)

cheerio!

In all it's simplistic, kick-ass glory.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs021.snc1/3052_69953306246_652476246_1792463_7860661_n.jpg

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Here's the current rundown on gear...

Basses

Fender Roscoe Beck V

Fender American Standard Precision 5 string

Fender Jazz (1973 vintage)

Fender 50's Precision (MIM)

Zon Sonus 6 string

Epiphone Jack Casady

Ernie Ball/Musicman Stingray 5 fretless

DeArmond Ashbory

NS Design WAV 4

Amplifiers

Eden WT-500 head

Eden D-210 XLT

EBS NEO-112

Trace Eliot 7215 SM combo

Effects

Trace Eliot Dual Compressor pedal

Cry Baby Bass Wah

Boss OC-2 Octaver

Boss OC-3 Super Octaver

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

Boss GEB-7 Bass Equalizer

Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive

Boss Bass Flanger

There are some other items in the works right now. But that's all still TBD.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

OK I'll Play

Basses

Fender American 50th Anniversary P bass (round wound)

Fender American 50th Anniversary P bass (flat wound)

Fender Precision Bass Lyte

Fender American Jazz Bass

Epiphone Jack Cassidy

Lakland Skyline 5502

Fender American Delux Jazz Fretless (for sale)

Amps

Eden WT405

Eden WT260

G&K MB-500

G&K 7000 RB

Cabs

3-Eden 112

1-Avatar Neo 410

1-SWR workingmans 2-10

2-SWR Son of Bertha

1-SWR 1-10

Combo's

Fender Studio Bass (all tube)

SWR Workingman's 110

G&K Bakeline 110

Line6 small 1-10

Preamps

Demeter VTBP 201

SWR Interstellar Overdrive

I need to get rid of some of this stuff!

In all it's simplistic, kick-ass glory.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs021.snc1/3052_69953306246_652476246_1792463_7860661_n.jpg

That's luvlii. Really. The cabs and rackcase are sexy.

What kind of speakers are in those homemade cabs o' doom?

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Don't we have one of these threads about once a year?

Amplificazione

Uno:1

Warwick Quad preamp

Peavey DPC1400X power amp

Bag End 2x10 w/ coax speaker

Due:

Ampeg B50R 1x12 combo

Bassi:

Nordstrand NJ5 Deluxe (a.k.a., the Fish o' Luv)

EB MM StingRay5 fretless (black'n'loud, black'n'proud)

Ibanez ATK 5-string (also black'n'loud, black'n'proud)

Carvin LB70 4-string

Efx

Quite a few delightful pedals that make all kinds of fun noises.

Peace.

--SW

1This rig is the robb. tribute rig. The preamp was robb.ified. The power amp was purchased used when robb. was still with Peavey, and I'd had quite a few PM conversations with robb. previously about power amps in general. The speaker cabinet was purchased when robb. was in town and he, Madball, and I were at Rudy's Music Stop together. It's tone-errific. Thx, robb.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived