Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

That man in brown is my best friend

davio

Hi, I'm Dave and I have an addiction.

Group: "Hi Dave."

I've been clean for exactly 3 years (and a couple days, actually). But I recently fell off the wagon. Fortunately, I no longer have any desire to get back on that wagon. It sucked and all my frets were parallel.

Yeah, that's right.

I did it. Same model as my old one but rather than a plain top with black burst it's a flame maple top with a purple finish.

I just finished giving it a proper setup (I don't know what the last owner was thinking...bad buzz on every fret, no relief at all and bridge saddles almost all the way down) and a thorough cleaning and polishing. It has a few small battle scars but it gives it personality (and I can't complain at the price I got it for).

Look....drool...and shed a tear for yourself because you can't have it.

Behold the glory of the Dingwall Afterburner I!

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/Dingwall/Picture001.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/Dingwall/Picture002.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/Dingwall/Picture003.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice... I even like the color.

Never played a bass with a fanned fretboard but a friend has an acoustic guitar that has one. Interesting, and I think it would take some getting used to...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Very nice... I even like the color.

Never played a bass with a fanned fretboard but a friend has an acoustic guitar that has one. Interesting, and I think it would take some getting used to...

DX

It takes all of 30 seconds of closing your eyes while you play. After a few minutes it feels more natural than parallel frets.

Congrats on the new fish Davio.

I have been interested in the whole fanned fret thing. Ed Friedland had a Dingwall Super J for awhile and I got to handle it but of course it was impossible for me to play it upside-down :(

It was very well made and sounded great but it seemed to me to be most effective for a 5+ stringed instrument moreso than a 4 (I could be mistaken of course)

None the less, enjoy your new bass!

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

...but of course it was impossible for me to play it upside-down :(

One of the unfortunate side effects of it.

It was very well made and sounded great but it seemed to me to be most effective for a 5+ stringed instrument moreso than a 4 (I could be mistaken of course)

It's more effective on 5+ stringed basses but it still accomplishes much on a 4.

I first tried a 5-string Dingwall (same model again) at my first LDL gathering:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/atmofmn/BC/BC3.jpg

Funny enough, I ended up with the same model bass and I later bought the cab that's right by my knee in that pic (it had been there for a while).

I later played a fretless SuperJ 4-string and thought it was everything I liked about J basses with none of the crap. I'm sure it would be a challenge, Basshappi, but you should keep your eye out for a lefty SuperJ and see if you can get a proper feel for it.

Or you could just go crazy and buy one and know that you'd get your money's worth out of it or you could easily get back the money you put into it if you bought used. There was a thread on the Dignwall forum a few weeks ago about owners who have bought these basses sight-unseen. The vast majority of us have.

You know what...I still blame my new keyboard...just like last time. It doesn't keep up with my typing for double letters and sometimes it adds doubles where I didn't put them.

You need to get a fanned keyboard to fit your new way of thinking.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived