Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does this head match these cabs?

batmax

Can anyone hear tell me if this set up will work? The Acoustic head is 600 watts at 2 ohms. The Acoustic 4x10 cab is rated at 400 watts at 8 ohms. And the Acoustic 1x15 cab is rated at 250 watts at 8 ohms. Will this work, sending power to all speakers evenly without blowing any of them up? I don't get the Ohms thing. Is there a link to a page that explains it? Thanks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, it will work. The max power of the amp has the lease resistance, at 600w @ 2 ohms. The 4 ohm power rating will be roughly half of that (300w), and the 8 ohm power rating will be roughly half of that (150w). If the amp is two channel, then you will be running right around 300w (150w per side X two sides). You should be able to download the manual from Acoustic's website, or email them for specs. I hope this helps. :)

Josh Senic

Session Bassist

Pocket Grooves

Laying Down The Low End

http://www.wix.com/pocketgroovesgso/official

Yes, it will work. The max power of the amp has the lease resistance, at 600w @ 2 ohms. The 4 ohm power rating will be roughly half of that (300w), and the 8 ohm power rating will be roughly half of that (150w). If the amp is two channel, then you will be running right around 300w (150w per side X two sides). You should be able to download the manual from Acoustic's website, or email them for specs. I hope this helps. :)

This is really over-simplified but essentially correct. Typically you will have a bit more than 1/2 the power each time you double the impedance (or less than 2x the power each time you 1/2 the impedance down to the minimum rating).

I'm guessing you have the B600H, B410 and B115. Acoustic doesn't seem to like to publish amp specs that might be useable to their customers. Again, short answer: yes they'll work together. That's what the company made them for.

If the amp is two channel, then you will be running right around 300w (150w per side X two sides).

Two channel has nothing to do with it. If the amplifier is a mono amplifier, pushing 300 watts into 4-ohm;, then if you attach two 8-ohm; loads (cabinets) to it, each will see 150 watts.

I bet you are glad you asked now.

The 1x15 is slightly undersized but you shouldn't blow it up if you listen to your ears and back off the volume if you start to hear 'farting' noises or distortion.

They are both the same impedance so theoretically they will share the power but in practice this won't happen, the 4x10 and the 15" will have different acoustic properties and will sound different. Current theory is not to mix drivers. Either 2 1x15" or 2x 4x10". Use your ears before you buy.

Why are you asking? Are you planning on buying this gear? Do you really need that amount of speaker power? Plenty of people here are getting by with 2x12"s or 2 2x10"s 4x10"s are usually very heavy.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Plenty of people are getting by with 2x12"s or 2 2x10"s.

We call these people "wee girls" in my neighborhood.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Plenty of people are getting by with 2x12"s or 2 2x10"s.

We call these people "wee girls" in my neighborhood.

Would you like to step outside and say that sir?

Hold on a second....

OK. I went outside and said the same thing.

Nothing happened, but I did get a nice breath of fresh air. Thanks for the suggestion.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Hold on a second....

OK. I went outside and said the same thing.

Nothing happened, but I did get a nice breath of fresh air. Thanks for the suggestion.

Give me a chance I'm 7000 miles away. Anyway, could you hear the bass out there?

Oh, he's a tough guy from 7000 miles away... he's a real hard case, he says...

Well, listen here, sonny--I once ate a baby!

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

If the amp is two channel, then you will be running right around 300w (150w per side X two sides).

Two channel has nothing to do with it. If the amplifier is a mono amplifier, pushing 300 watts into 4-ohm;, then if you attach two 8-ohm; loads (cabinets) to it, each will see 150 watts.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Josh Senic

Session Bassist

Pocket Grooves

Laying Down The Low End

http://www.wix.com/pocketgroovesgso/official

Thanks for the info guys. I asked because that head is supposed to go with the 8x10 cab, but I have no interest in hauling a refrigerator around with me. Plus the 4x10 and the 1x15 sounded great together.

I would love to have a smaller rig. I like the idea of the new GK MB 2x12 combo. My local GC doesn't have one, but I tested the GK MB 2x10 combo, and it sounded like crap, and the layout of the EQ was backwards, which is enough to annoy me.

But, by advertising the head as a 600 watts, isn't Acoustic being misleading? You can't even use it at 2 ohms anyway.

Take all the cabs to gigs and hook 'em all up. 8-10 on one side of the drummer, the others on the other side. Your mates will love you for it.

Maybe you could borrow Yourlord's moving van?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

what color r they?

That is a much more intellegent question than the one that started this thread. If you are smart enough to ask the original question I am going to guess that you know how teh internets work. I'm also going to guess that maybe you've seen a search engine of some sort at least once. MAYBE you could plug in a few key words and find this answer on your own. Educate yourself.

i want a 3 ohM load

No problem - hook up 12 4ohm cabinets. 4 groups of 3 - the 3 being in series for 12 ohms, then 4 of those sets in parallel gives you 3 ohms. Done.

Or 24 8 ohm cabinets...

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

i want a 3 ohM load

No problem - hook up 12 4ohm cabinets. 4 groups of 3 - the 3 being in series for 12 ohms, then 4 of those sets in parallel gives you 3 ohms. Done.

Or 24 8 ohm cabinets...

Last year when I took physics I paid special attention to V=IR and other electrical concepts because I knew it would come in handy with this stuff...

"there ain't no faux mojo" jcadmus

Archived