Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

But..but..I said this was impossible! Cool feedback PLUG-IN

Bejeeber

I clearly remember saying here that a good sounding guitar feedback plug-in wouldn't likely be possible because there's nothing physically driving the strings, and of course you have to have all your touch, vibrato, etc. intact.

Well these smart alecs appear to have gone and made one anyway. Vibrato etc. intact. WTF? Check it out:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojyA0I6EnBw&feature=player_embedded#

I'm gonna download the free demo I'll tell ya that much - and am interested in trying it with a 100% feedback mix as the clam prone demo guy does in this vid for a second.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, that is more like "light feedback" or raunchy sustain IMO.

To me, employment of feedback is wildly unpredictable, it decays and crumples and sounds like the amp is dying. This however, sounds controlled, however I'll reserve official judgment until I can try it out myself.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Yeah yeah OK it's not going to be as good as real amp feedback :) - but A String, I've seen other vids, including the link I'll post here that make it appear unlikely that it it's substituting another signal.

Too bad the audio in this video is the horrible "microphone in the room picking up both vocal and playback speakers' quality, but the demo given proves the legitimacy of the plug-in IMO. Side note - funny to see the demonsrator's reaction at the end at his musical gaffes - I know that feeling!:

(Scroll down to the "Controlling Acoustic Feedback with a Pedal" demo video)

http://www.softube.se/index.php?p=youtube

It sounds like they have crossfaded your guitar sound with a tone to simulate the sound of feedback. I'd be interested in hearing it resolve. In the video, he keeps cutting it short and you never get a really good "feel" for how it sounds.

Yeah, cross-fading to a processed tone an octave-up from the input-signal at that point.

Wonder if it works alright in real-time, or is best for processing already recorded tracks? If you have to keep fiddling around manipulating its control parameters throughout the phrase, or if you can set-it-and-forget-it?

I also wonder if it can be applied to squeaky-clean tones, as well as overdriven and distorted ones?

IMHO, that is more like "light feedback" or raunchy sustain IMO.

To me, employment of feedback is wildly unpredictable, it decays and crumples and sounds like the amp is dying. This however, sounds controlled, however I'll reserve official judgment until I can try it out myself.

Yeah, it is rather polite, isn't it? :D;):thu: But that's not necessarily a bad thing...

:tired: >cough< >Sustainiac Model C< >cough< :blush::crazy::D:thu::love::rawk:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm guessing it's more of a "Hi-passing the fundamental out of your sustaining note, while applying noise/hiss reduction and compressing it a LOT" type deal. This will give that octave up type feedback sound.

Hell I probably oughta just try the dang thing when I get a chance though. At least that would make one of us so far. :laugh:

Meantime the how it works in realtime question looks like it's answered positively in the second vid.

it is rather polite, isn't it? :D;):thu: But that's not necessarily a bad thing...

OK I'm going to tackle that one head on. It is a bad thing. :freak: But possibly better than nuthin' for someone with a guiitar and a laptop, but no real opportunity for genuine cranked amp feedback recording (??).

Hmmmmm.....For me. And strictly IMO, it just doesn't sound natural to me. It sounds like a guitar effect, but not one I would have called "feedback".

As a disclaimer though, I have not tried the effect myself, but simply watched the two videos, so...My opinion may be tainted.

Hell I probably oughta just try the dang thing when I get a chance though. That would make one of us so far. :laugh:

Yeah; heck, if it's available as a free download- in some form or another, at least- I'd be very interested, IF I didn't have stupid PC issues making it impractical for be to bother- for now. I'm looking/listening forward to your sound evaluation!

Meantime the how it works in realtime question looks like it's answered positively in the second vid.

I'll have to check that out.

it is rather polite, isn't it? :D;):thu: But that's not necessarily a bad thing...

OK I'm going to tackle that one head on. It is a bad thing. :freak: But possibly better than nuthin' for someone with a guiitar and a laptop, but no real opportunity for genuine cranked amp feedback recording (??).

Naaa, it's not necessarily a bad thing at all; maybe just a touch of that here and there on a track- especially if it's a track that DOESN'T need to dominate the overall piece- could be just the thing to make it more betterer! :D

Yet, ironically, it is available cracked on the torrent channels.

http://thepiratebay.org/search/softube/0/99/300

Which is why I say "friends don't let friends use iLok products"

They just don't get it, that iLok doesn't prevent software from being jacked, it only makes life miserable for honest users.

Yet, ironically, it is available cracked on the torrent channels.

http://thepiratebay.org/search/softube/0/99/300

Which is why I say "friends don't let friends use iLok products"

They just don't get it, that iLok doesn't prevent software from being jacked, it only makes life miserable for honest users.

Interesting... all new to me! That is, all stuff I knew nothing about but am glad to learn and be forewarned!

.....am glad to learn and be forewarned!

Psssst - the Griffinator is a wee bit of a, well let's just say hardliner on this ilok subject. Lots of people use ilok all the time without a hitch. Whispering in hopes he doesn't overhear - he dishes out a mean Griffinating. :o

Interesting...so much of the software that I and the fellers I work with requires ilok, and I don't recall too much hassling, or hearing the others grumble...maybe it plays nicer with Mac OS (which I'm on) than it does with Windows?

Interesting...so much of the software that I and the fellers I work with requires ilok, and I don't recall too much hassling, or hearing the others grumble...maybe it plays nicer with Mac OS (which I'm on) than it does with Windows?

It's not how it plays, it's when you're working with a mobile rig and taking gear out on location and the dongle suddenly ceases to function, wiping out your access to any of the software.

Furthermore, it's the principle. If I buy the software, I am treated like a thief. If I don't buy the software, and instead steal it, I don't have to deal with the headaches of being a registered user.

iLok is bad customer service, IMHO.

Talk about your feedback! :rimshot::D

So, anyways, besides this plug-in being an iLok product, what's the deal with the free download-

- is it a "lite" version of the plug-in?

- does it require the whole iLok dongle procedure, kit and caboodle?

Sorry, Griff, somehow missed that post between posts; don't cleave me, Metal Chef! :D

Aaaaaahhh, so... free- for only 20 days, and still requires iLok!

:P Phthpphthpphthpphthppdtthtt!

I might, just for the hell of it, go grab the "try before you buy" version and give a full report on it from a real-world user perspective.

I may even compare/contrast it to real feedback with my little Randal/TS/wah package.

I will, of course, then uninstall it from my system, as I will not be buying it. But it might be a helpful assessment.

I clearly remember saying here that a good sounding guitar feedback plug-in wouldn't likely be possible because there's nothing physically driving the strings, and of course you have to have all your touch, vibrato, etc. intact.

Yeah, I seem to remember that thread- and I agreed with you and posted much the same, as well, IIRC.

Think you could dig it up and post a link to it? Maybe one of us should PM the guy who asked about such a thing!

I wonder how it would sound if you held the computer speakers near the pickups...?

Like a cat.

Any time the opportunity arises to reply with the words "like a cat", one should pounce on it... like a cat.

And any time one has even the vaguest excuse for breaking out with fretless Strat through Foxx Tone Machine octave-fuzz sounds, one should pounce on it. Like a cat. A Big Electric Cat!!

__________ [video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFvS1RcK7o8

Archived