Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So, what do you guys think of Traben stuff?

PocketGroovesGSO

Traben "instruments" are awful. There are no redeeming qualities about them. Definitely none that make up for their ridiculous ornamentation that tends to adorn everything they make.

I'm sorry, but your opinion is way way way off of the reality.

I don't know what sort of Traben you've played. I've been completely satisfied with my Neo 5 - I've used it on all the bass tracks from everything I've recorded in the last couple years, and have had no complaints. I also gigged with it for over a year with no trouble.

Tone is solid, the EQ is highly flexible, and it's built solid enough to take the beatings I'm notorious for dishing out on my instruments (not carelessness, just clumsiness)

Is it a Zon? No. But it isn't priced like one either.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Traben "instruments" are awful. There are no redeeming qualities about them. Definitely none that make up for their ridiculous ornamentation that tends to adorn everything they make.

No. Just because it doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't make it "way way way off of the reality". It just makes it differ from YOUR reality. In that price range there are better instruments. Like a MIM Fender Jazz.

No. Just because it doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't make it "way way way off of the reality". It just makes it differ from YOUR reality. In that price range there are better instruments. Like a MIM Fender Jazz.

I agree. Everyone has their likes and dislikes about basses, construction, tone, etc. This is why so many various bass guitar manufacturers are successful -- different people like different things.

For me, I don't like Fender stuff. I know, I know... Fender invented the bass... blah, blah... I love Fender tone, but I hate the actual bass guitar that Fender tone comes from. Therefore, I choose not to play Fender. I like Ibanez, Yamaha, Spector, Warwick, Carvin, Zon, MTD (American and imports), and others. It doesn't mean that I'm wrong for not liking Fender stuff; they just aren't my thing. I get why some people don't like Traben stuff.

Josh Senic

Session Bassist

Pocket Grooves

Laying Down The Low End

http://www.wix.com/pocketgroovesgso/official

You missed the point.

This is your stated opinion.

That opinion has no basis in reality, because if it did, no one on the planet would like them.

If you wish to state that there was nothing about whichever Traben you tried out that you liked, then that would be a valid opinion.

Making a broad statement like the above = no longer a valid opinion.

Obviously there are people out there that have found redeeming qualities, else there wouldn't be any opposing opinions to yours, and Traben would be out of business.

(edit)

PS: I've played more than my fair share of Mexican J's, and no, I'd take my Neo 5 over a Mexican J any day.

I like Ibanez, Yamaha, Spector, Warwick, Carvin, Zon, MTD (American and imports), and others. It doesn't mean that I'm wrong for not liking Fender stuff; they just aren't my thing. I get why some people don't like Traben stuff.

I used to have an Ibanez BB 5 string that I dug a lot too. I get why people don't like Traben stuff, but to make a "piss on this company" statement as though Tater had played every Traben that ever shipped, and found them all to be defective to the point of non-playability, is just wrong.

That's what I'm scolding him about here, not that he doesn't like the product. He can hate the product all he wants, based on the limited scope of his experience with it. He just can't go around talking bullshit about the product as though he was a factory floor inspector and watched them ship slipshod basses out the door all day long.

He just can't go around talking bullshit about the product as though he was a factory floor inspector and watched them ship slipshod basses out the door all day long.

Why not? Is it just because you own one or has Traben contracted you to stamp out negative opinions and "scold" those who have them? Get a grip there bub.

I have played 3 and they were all hovering around mediocre in feel, sounded dull and were way overpriced. I think they are marketed on a gaudy gimmick and anyone dumb enough to buy into it is worthy of ridicule.

And I couldn't care less about your opinion of my opinion.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I've not been impressed by any of the Traben stuff I've tried, but I haven't been depressed by it either. Maybe what trips my trigger isn't in ther, but maybe it is for someone else.

Guys, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. The sheer number of Traben instruments that have been makes impossible to say they haven't turned out some sweet instruments, by luck if not by design. Whether they are ugly or not is a very subjective matter, beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Big flashy chuncks of metal on a guitar face probably ain't my deal. But, I own and proudly play a Flying V guitar in public when i get the chance, so I sure ain't gonna be calling anything gaudy, not unless it's covered in iridescent rhinestones and nuclear firestorm magnitude bright LEDs...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I have played 3 and they were all hovering around mediocre in feel, sounded dull and were way overpriced.

That's a legit statement. You played them, didn't like the way they felt or sounded, and thought they cost too much money.

If you want to ridicule me for the instrument I play, by all means, but you come off as petty as a result.

Wow! First the metal dog pile on Pick, now this. It's what I deserve for not actually reading threads.

Don't own Traban. Don't play Traban. Never have. But Bootsy owns one, so it's gotta be good enough for me!

... now where in the HELL is my Geddy Lee J-Bass?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Wow! First the metal dog pile on Pick, now this.

I'm just not going to sit here and let some jackass tell me I'm some kind of moron for buying the bass I bought and enjoying it. nyuk that. It's one thing to hate the instrument, it's a whole other thing to announce that everyone who plays them is stupid. That's five year old shit. I expect better from musicians.

And I expect better language from hash-slingers. :D

Lighten up already. BTW, what kind of amp do you play through?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I'm just not going to sit here and let some jackass tell me I'm some kind of moron for buying the bass I bought and enjoying it. nyuk that. It's one thing to hate the instrument, it's a whole other thing to announce that everyone who plays them is stupid. That's five year old shit. I expect better from musicians.

I never said that anyone who plays it is somehow . I'm very sorry for you that I didn't say specific models. When I play something I don't care for I usually don't make note of the exact model and whatnot. So whatever. I don't like what I have played that has been made by Traben. Great. There it is. Who cares? It's my opinion and I don't care for them. It isn't worth getting in a pissing match over. If I were buying a low cost instrument I wouldn't choose Traben. There. End of story. You might like them and it may do something for you. It certainly doesn't for me. I'd rather go through 20 MIM Fender Jazz basses and find a diamond in the rough than but a Traben that I've played.

I never said that anyone who plays it is somehow . I'm very sorry for you that I didn't say specific models. When I play something I don't care for I usually don't make note of the exact model and whatnot. So whatever. I don't like what I have played that has been made by Traben. Great. There it is. Who cares? It's my opinion and I don't care for them. It isn't worth getting in a pissing match over. If I were buying a low cost instrument I wouldn't choose Traben. There. End of story. You might like them and it may do something for you. It certainly doesn't for me. I'd rather go through 20 MIM Fender Jazz basses and find a diamond in the rough than but a Traben that I've played.

This, this is an opinion, and one I can respect. Your original statement was more like a denouncement of the company as a wholly owned subsidiary of Antichrist, Inc.

Sheesh. Who cares? Lots of panties bunched, knickers twisted, and underwear knotted on this thread. Relax, people. They're just instruments, tools of the trade. Yeah, so we've got opinions about them. Great.

Tater hates 'em. Griff digs 'em. Move along.

And, personally, I'd be curious to see what kinds of basses Antichrist Inc might be building these days.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived