Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

synth sound for the Cars "Let's Go"

ArnoldLayne

Hi all. I've been away for a while. Welcome back!

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for how to program the wah sounding synth tone in the subject song on a Ensoniq E-Prime?

Any suggestions welcome.

Been playing in a band the last 5 month's after a 8 year hiatus. Big fun, but man am I tired - we play every weekend.

Also just bought a Roland RD-700GX and I am pleased and having fun.

Later

Mike

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I successfully pulled it off in my old band with a Jupiter 6. But whatever you have, you need Osc Sync. Assign one Env to pitch on one of the osc's, and sync it to the other one. The EG sweeps the freq of the one osc down to create the "owww" sound. I think I ended up having to put a little HP filter on it to thin it out a bit, but you may not have to.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Ironic timing: My band is adding this song this week, and I was just setting up a split on my S90ES earlier today to cover the osc sync lead sound and the stringy synth part that is used on some of the verses.

Cool song. And thankfully, my S90ES has a preset that comes close enough to the osc sync sound that I can avoid doing any programming. Given my near-total lack of programming abilities, that's a good thing! :thu:

Noah

Thanks for the replies. I have programmed some pretty realistic analog sounds on this wave synth - it has a DCO in it. I remember analog programming on my Pro-One and I thought I synced the Oscillators as mentioned. So far there doesn't seem to be a good way to do this on my Ensoniq but I have a couple more ideas I will try.

Thanks again.

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

I originally tried doing it with a Polysix, but being single Osc with no Sync, the only thing I could do was a filter sweep. It never sounded right until I got the Jupiter 6, then I finally nailed it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I was just listening to this song in my car today. There is this 2 bar section in the chorus that stuck out to me. It's in between the lyrics "When she says...." and "....Let's go".

Anyway there's what sound to me like 2 clashing rhythms during those 2 bars. It's like the guitarist isn't playing in time with the drummer.

Not keyboard related, but I thought I throw it out there.

Slightly topic-related: I really, really, really love Greg Hawkes' playing on the early Cars albums. Ma,n it's almost indefinable what he's doing from time to time, but it's so right!

I could not agree more. I love his playing with The Cars' early stuff in particular. So appropriate. Really great sounds, melodic and oh-so-right.

• 3 weeks later...
I tried to re-create the hard sync sound on an Ensoniq VFX using the waveforms called "transwaves." Didn't really work but came up with an interesting patch. You CAN re-create the sound on an Ensoniq ESQ-1.

Archived