Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some thoughts on Prog rock

Dave Bryce

Cardiacs stuff has been really hard to find until now. They finally made a bunch of stuff available on iTunes.

Pronk is a British term for Prog/Punk.

The density in many Cardiacs tunes is quite something.

Here's some fun vid of one of the last rehearsals of the four piece Cardiacs prior to Tim's heart ailment.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never been a fan of the term "progressive rock", mainly because I don't believe music (as an art form, not mechanically) "progresses". "Progression" implies a destination - and is there an "end" to music (as an art form)? Will some composer emeritus issue a press release one day stating that "all the music has been written", and "there's no need to write or play anymore ... just head over to iTunes"?

I disagree with your assessment.

The reason why it was referred to as Progressive rock is because there is a classical sensibility to most of these pieces in that they "progress" through the song in a more compositional style, versus the typical rock song that is based on one or two hooks and uses a very standardized "verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/goodbye" format.

Even the shred piece "Pull Me Under" you referenced starts with a theme, develops that theme through several moods, moves to a different theme, at which point the vocal begins, develops that theme, builds to a crescendo, delivers a refrain, then moves to a different theme loosely related to the first "verse" theme, but with a dramatically different mood and tempo, repeats the crescendo and refrain, then reverts to the original theme, quotes a couple of the others, then brings it all back around to the refrain one more time before closing on yet another adaptation of the opening.

You could call it v/c/v/c/b/c/out, but you'd be robbing it of the compositional component.

Most prog rock and prog metal isn't even that structured. Themes are visited and revisited over the course of a song or even an album, but the song structures are much looser, and refrains are often forsaken over development of themes.

When I first heard the Cardiacs, a song from their first or so tape, I though it sounded like EGG :freak:

I don't know about pronk, but this band/video sort of had a Doorish feel, and some prog instrumentation in a style where it was unfashionable.

New YES seems better than New Coke -

Wow - I'm more impressed by the quality of the footage. That has got to be the sharpest audience video I've ever seen posted.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived