Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some thoughts on Prog rock

Dave Bryce

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! :thu:

The section about album covers really has me rethinking my fandom of prog rock though. What's with all the butts??? :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Literally anything you can record a sound of is welcome in progressive rock.

Except autotune.

:thu:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's simple really:

Rock: All the guys in the band think they're superior because they get more chicks than you do.

Progressive Rock: All the guys in the band think they're superior because they can play more notes than you can.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Funny stuff. :grin:

Now can somebody, and maybe someone who plays the music, tell me what the term "progressive" rock means?

I know many of the bands that fall in the category, but how do you know when it goes from rock to progressive rock? Just curious :)

Rock: The amplifiers have knobs that go up to "11"?

Prog. Rock: They play ALL the notes... And, space between notes doesn't exist?

Frankly, I've never understood what "Prog. Rock" referred to, either.

Funny stuff. :grin:

Now can somebody, and maybe someone who plays the music, tell me what the term "progressive" rock means?

I know many of the bands that fall in the category, but how do you know when it goes from rock to progressive rock? Just curious :)

What means :

Beat

Bubble Gum

Rock

Blues Rock

Hard Rock

Classik Rock

Kraut Rock

Prog Rock

Grunge

Metal

Heavy Metal

Prog Metal

Nu Metal

BeBop

modern Jazz

electric Jazz

Fusion

Pop

Brit Pop

Disco

Dance

Break Dance

Techno

Trance

Ambient

Djungle

HipHop

TripHop

Tri Top :-)

Electronica

Avantgarde

???

ask Wiki, search the web or don´t care.

You´ll find successful acts in every category and over decades.

Just only brands, like it or not, play it or not, buy it or not.

If someone is/was in one of these "categorys" and it makes/made his live, he is or was in the right one,- biz wise.

Anyway, thx for the link Dave, that was so funny and made me laugh so much. Great site !

A.C.

ask Wiki, search the web or don´t care.
Well, thanks for the instructional, but it was a friendly question for amusement. So my answer from your choices will have to be, um, I "don't care". :)

You're right that the words themselves mean nothing, but your list includes rock, jazz, bebop, etc. which are defined by well known idioms. Adding a word like progressive to something doesn't say anything.

To me, it's the same with the term "jam bands". When any band features a soloist, for that moment it becomes a jam band, or improvising, right? This is all OK - just an observation. ;)

You're right that the words themselves mean nothing, but your list includes rock, jazz, bebop, etc. which are defined by well known idioms. Adding a word like progressive to something doesn't say anything.

To me, it's the same with the term "jam bands". When any band features a soloist, for that moment it becomes a jam band, or improvising, right? This is all OK - just an observation. ;)

To me, a jam band is a band that plays mostly recognizeable "memory" versions of tunes that usually (but not always) feature (frequently extended) solos that are probably not present on the original version of the tune. A jam band would be comfortable trying to play a tune at a gig that they've never tried to play together before.

The term obviously also applies to bands that grab an instrumental groove and go/improvise, but the latter definition borders on/can frequently cross into jazz.

I tend to think of prog rock as pieces of (typically rock-based) music that contain (but are not limited to) something unusual...length, uncommon voicings/time signatures/instrumentation, etc., and/or have strong ties to classical music. FWIW, I actually kinda consider A Day In The Life to be one of the first pieces of prog rock.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Archived