Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

F^%#%^#&#&CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian Benhamou

Man, what a streak of bad luck! Last Saturday I was supposed to play at a Halloween parade on a flatbed truck. It was to pay pretty well, and we were only to play 4 songs in a continuous loop for an hour. Pretty sweet deal. I turned down 2 gigs because of this one. 2 days before the gig, the parade got canceled because of 85% chance of rain.

I was booked this coming Friday and Saturday with my cover band in a bar I play at regularly. Turns out the booker mixed up the dates, and so we are not playing this weekend. Not the end of the world, the booker apologized and promised an extra weekend for us in January or February.

On November 19 I was scheduled to be part of the house band at a new Cabaret/Music Hall theater that was opening up. It's a 3-4 night a week gig plus extra nights during Christmas and Valentine's day. I was booked til the end of February! I woke up this morning to an email saying the opening has been postponed due to them not having the liquour license yet. I still have the gig, but we don't know when we'll actually start.

In the meantime, my month of November which up until this week was solidly booked (14 gigs!) has now turned into a quiet month that I really can't afford right now. Plus it's too late to pick up gigs or cancel the subs I got for conflicting dates!

Talk about a shitty way to start your day!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had a crappy day already too, but none of it is gig related so far.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I got a call on Saturday from the bass player of my former band. He was wondering if I could fill in at a high-paying show that very night... yes, on Halloween. Well, I was already committed to doing family stuff, so I had to pass. And then, I found out about how he's been doing lately.

- Two weeks ago his elderly father passed away after a long illness.

- He went back to Texas for the funeral.

- While he has there, someone broke into his house here in LA and stole most of his gear, including his beloved 1963 P-Bass.

- The day after he returned, the company for whom he's been working for the last eight years went out of business and closed the office where he worked.

- Three days later, his guitarist came down with H1N1, and they were doing everything they could to salvage the gig.

So, putting things in perspective, we definitely all hit low points from time to time, but it's usually a matter of scale of just how low.

I woke up this morning to an email saying the opening has been postponed due to them not having the liquour license yet. I still have the gig, but we don't know when we'll actually start.

I would have thought this was one of the first things that would have been organized. It sucks that because of a stupid slip up on the part of some doofuss, this delays your start for this gig. People don't realize the trickle down effect of their stupidity.

Good luck patching everything up.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Mine's trivially annoying by comparison...

I got a call yesterday from a local hotel where, through an agency, I have played a string of Christmas specials over the past few years. A group which they thought had been cancelled actually turned up, expecting entertainment - tonight.

I told the hotel I could do it but would need to re-arrange a choir practice I had tonight. I quoted them a not unreasonable figure and the girl promised to get back to me. I'd heard nothing by the end of the day, so presumed that was that.

This morning I got a call from the same girl, talking to me like she thought I was a whole new person (her boss had obviously told her to keep ringing till she got someone available and a lower figure) and hadn't even noticed we'd spoken before.

I quickly disabused her of this illusion and told her that my price hadn't gone down overnight and that I was now no longer available anyway because it was now too late for me to re-arrange the choir practice.

Oh, and I got a note from a December client asking whether they can delay payment by two weeks because all their bills are coming at once. Bet they really asked the hotel if they'd defer...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I understand the sentiment of this thread. It is a great outlet for a series of f'd up, er, unfortunate events.

But, considering we view this as a family-friendly forum, I think the main title should be 'cleaned up'.

Of course, the intent is still captured in the RE:'s. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Oh, and I got a note from a December client asking whether they can delay payment by two weeks because all their bills are coming at once. Bet they really asked the hotel if they'd defer...

Because your fee is so astronomically huge, I'd wager....... :freak:

Sorry to hear although, I have a story that's worse.

I often play with this jazz/soul singer who is pretty famous. She also has another pianist who plays with her. I got an email from her agent yesterday telling me that that the pianist's son (who was 21) was hit by a car on his bike and died. They asked me to help cover for him this Saturday - what an awful story.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Of course!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Of course!

My drummer and I dj'ed a wedding many years ago. At the end of the night, groom comes up to us and asks if he can delay payment until he gets back from his honeymoon.

Drummer tells him that if he doesn't pay us, there isn't going to be a honeymoon.

Like we were going to hear from the guy again.

It was experiences like that that caused me to cease trying to make music my fulltime life and do something else while continuing to develop my skills. Though I have some regrets about that, I have zero regrets about that kind of crap!

You win some you lose some.

Just got a call for a pickup gig Saturday night. Nothing glorious, but at least it's work.

To Jeff and Bhodaway, this thread is in no way a means to try and get pity from fellow forumites. Nor am I implying that my life is falling apart. Of course, in perspective, things could always be worse. I was just trying to vent off some steam about how my day started.

But I won't dwell on this feeling. I'll just have to get on my feet and hustle for the next few weeks to try and make ends meet. The thing that really blows is the fact that I was geared up for a fantastic couple of months. Suddenly, I'm out of work. And it's a bit late to make things happen for November and possibly December.

I guess I'll just have to walk it off.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

In the meantime, my month of November which up until this week was solidly booked (14 gigs!) has now turned into a quiet month that I really can't afford right now. Plus it's too late to pick up gigs or cancel the subs I got for conflicting dates!

Talk about a shitty way to start your day!

Ian, it's bad luck indeed. But since we can't change our luck, it's good to spend this "quiet month" doing thing you could not do if you we working hard. Practice, time for yourself, listening to some new music. The gigs will come back eventually.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

It was experiences like that that caused me to cease trying to make music my fulltime life and do something else while continuing to develop my skills. Though I have some regrets about that, I have zero regrets about that kind of crap!

My rationale was similar.

Thought I'd be a diehard gigging muso for life. But, it only took a handful of BS gigs to reshape my strategy.

Well over a decade ago, I decided to focus on more lucrative aspects of making music.

It was a blessing to the extent of no rehearsals, cancelled gigs, substance abusers, egos, etc.

The curse is, nowadays, it would take a perfect storm and Brinks truck for me to pack up my gear and gig. :laugh:

However, and I write this with the utmost sincerity, I admire those of you who still endure the grind of gigging. I know it isn't always an easy road. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I woke up this morning . . . .

That's grounds enough to consider it a good day. Sorry for the negative influences and hope they turn positive going forward.

In times like this I like to turn to what, perhaps, is not the "deepest" lyric in the world, but says plenty to me: "nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

To Jeff and Bhodaway, this thread is in no way a means to try and get pity from fellow forumites.

No, of course not. We've all been down that road of gig cancellations and all that. It sucketh mightily. My only point was that when you think it's bad, it could usually be a helluva lot worse. I try and keep that in mind when I start freaking out about what, in the big picture, are actually pretty temporary and minor things that will work themselves out soon enough.

Y

To Jeff and Bhodaway, this thread is in no way a means to try and get pity from fellow forumites. Nor am I implying that my life is falling apart. Of course, in perspective, things could always be worse. I was just trying to vent off some steam about how my day started.

No worries Ian - I just got the email yesterday and for me it was a way for me to "vent."

Good luck!

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Things happen that are uncontrollable. The ones that always really pissed me off were the double bookings. There is no excuse for that. Each day on the calender has a square, that square should only have one band in the available time. It's not rocket science.

What really kills me is the clubs around here were trying to make everybody sign contracts that if the band cancels within 30 days, they are liable for up to $1500 advertising expense. No problem as long as they'll pay us full price if they cancel US within 30 days, and if we're responsible for advertising costs, it has to explicitly mention us (not just the club), and I want to see receipts. Of course they don't want all that in the contracts. Enough bands refused that they eventually got away from that.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I turned down 2 gigs because of this one. 2 days before the gig, the parade got canceled because of 85% chance of rain.

I assume you did not have a written contract for this gig...since it was a Halloween event (and you had turned down two other gigs) your contract could have spelled out what the penalty would be for any cancellation. Usually 50% would be a good figure for a weather cancellation. I know most musicians and bands don't use contracts...but I do for every gig. It just eliminates so many potential problems and keeps the musician from bearing the brunt of someone els'es screw ups such as double bookings, etc.

The sun is always shining behind the clouds.

Quote of the day my friend.

Less than 2 hours after I posted this thread I got a call for a pickup gig this coming Saturday. Then I received an email about a semi-confirmed private event for the cabaret but in an outside venue. The MD along with the owner of the cabaret are also working on booking more of these between now and the real official opening.

Couple of hours later, I phoned the MD for the Cabaret gig. Turns out, there's still a possibility that the Cabaret gets their liquor license in time for the opening. It's just that there are no guarantees, so rather than keep all the musicians, singers and dancers booked for gigs that might not happen, they've told us to put everything on standby so that we don't turn down any other gigs in the meantime. When they're going to have official news on the opening they'll let us know, and they'll deal with finding subs for those of us who got booked elsewhere. Pretty considerate on their part actually. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the opening will be on schedule.

The sun does indeed shine behind those clouds.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Glad your day turned around, Ian.

Mine? Meh. I've had worse though.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I got a call on Saturday from the bass player of my former band. He was wondering if I could fill in at a high-paying show that very night... yes, on Halloween. Well, I was already committed to doing family stuff, so I had to pass. And then, I found out about how he's been doing lately.

- Two weeks ago his elderly father passed away after a long illness.

- He went back to Texas for the funeral.

- While he has there, someone broke into his house here in LA and stole most of his gear, including his beloved 1963 P-Bass.

- The day after he returned, the company for whom he's been working for the last eight years went out of business and closed the office where he worked.

- Three days later, his guitarist came down with H1N1, and they were doing everything they could to salvage the gig.

So, putting things in perspective, we definitely all hit low points from time to time, but it's usually a matter of scale of just how low.

How much worse would it have had to be before you would have canceled your family plans and helped out a friend?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

There are many low points that you just have to get past.

This past September, I lost my dad to a long illness. He'd been on life support for some time, and we all, my sister, my dad, his doctors, and I, decided it was time, and we stopped his dialysis. 5 days later, he passed.

Last weekend our lead guitarist went through exactly the same thing with his mom, and this past Sunday, 5 days after stopping dialysis, she passed.

The one thing that helped get myself, and Terry, our guitarist, through these events has been the music, and the friendship our band members have developed. Without them, it would have been much more difficult.

Just last week, a local band whose drummer is an old friend of mine lost their front man to a sudden massive heart attack.

Losing a gig or two can be frustrating. It's happened to us all. But in the larger picture, it's pretty insignificant.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I hear you, Ian. This month is looking so slow. I have two gigs total. Two.

I've been calling piano clients trying to book tunings and haven't had much luck. It's not looking good.

Sorry to hear that. I guess a lot of us a hurting with this bad economy. Usually by now I have at least 8-10 Corporate Christmas parties booked for the end of November and December. This year I've only got 3, and 2 of them I have to sub myself out for.

I gotta get Organissimo booked for the Montreal Jazz Fest. You guys would kill up here. I let you know if anything materializes.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Archived