Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how many guitarists in the US?

Johan Larson

Anybody know? The search engines don't turn up any decent results.

My guess, for what it's worth, is based on how many people got up to play in my high school's annual talent show. Out of 1200 people, there may have been 6 guitar players. That's one in 200. Multiplying by the population of the US (307 million) gets me to 1.5 million.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but we need more than we need to keep the guitar stores/manufactures in business...16 million is a lot of customers for all the pedals, guitars, amps and other junk that we must keep producing in order to help us with our GAS attacks...
Take care, Larryz

No one is going to bother making cool gear-even if most of it is redundant, overpriced, planned obsolescence gear-for 0.5 million guitarists. That`s irrespective of the fact that saying `guitarists` runs the gamut from those who shouldn`t have them (ever), to those who can`t do anything else.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I wonder how many of those 16 million are capable of playing at least one song from start to finish? :D

Yeah, you know...I've often used the "ist", or similar, at the end of a the instrument name, to imply the difference between a pro and some one who can simply play.

I know hundreds of folks who can pick up a guitar and clumsily strum a G chord and possible fake their way through a D. But are they "guitarists"? No, not really.

There are people who can play the guitar and then there are "Guitarists". For example, I can play the drums, I'm actually quite good at it, but I would never consider myself "a drummer".

So the question really should not be "how many guitar players are there", but "how many guitarists are there".

I saw a beer commercial once that said every American male tries to learn to play the guitar at least once. Might even be true...

Everything I need to know I learned from beer commercials :P;):D

But seriously :whistle: the ones that try to learn guitar are the ones who can't get laid by way of playing football. :o

I wonder how many of those 16 million are capable of playing at least one song from start to finish? :D

Yeah, you know...I've often used the "ist", or similar, at the end of a the instrument name, to imply the difference between a pro and some one who can simply play.

I know hundreds of folks who can pick up a guitar and clumsily strum a G chord and possible fake their way through a D. But are they "guitarists"? No, not really.

There are people who can play the guitar and then there are "Guitarists". For example, I can play the drums, I'm actually quite good at it, but I would never consider myself "a drummer".

So the question really should not be "how many guitar players are there", but "how many guitarists are there".

not a drummerist?

I wonder how many of those 16 million are capable of playing at least one song from start to finish?

Me! Me! Me!

I'm pretty sure Vai & Satriani can as well...

3 down, 15,999,997 to go!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Back in 1972 or so, my jazz guitar teacher told me "there are 11 MILLION guitar players out there" meaning that none of us should think that "hey, I'm the only guy out there that's BAD"... LOL.

Given the population increase since then, 16 million seems about right....

As far as "too many guitarists", I have to say, speaking seriously for a change, that even musical geniuses start out as beginners. I am happy to see people with guitar cases on the subway or street just about every day... any of whom MIGHT be the next Segovia, Wes, Hendrix, Van Halen... name your own heroes!

Archived