Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio interface as "standalone mixer"?

NoahZark

I'm curious whether anyone is using a firewire audio interface like a MOTU Traveler or MOTU 828mk3 as a standalone digital mixer, and if so, how it's working out.

The reason I ask is this: I've been on the hunt for a 1U line mixer for my live keyboard rig. I've been using a Mackie 802VLZ3, but I have a space available in my 4U rack (which also houses a power strip and a QSC amp), and it would be far more convenient to rack up the mixer instead of carrying the separate Mackie.

I've read a lot of great things here and elsewhere about 1U line mixers like the Rane SM82s and the Ashly LX308B, but I realized that for just a bit more money I could score a firewire audio interface like the MOTU Traveler or 828. I likely wouldn't need the audio interface capabilities of the MOTU for my live rig (since I'm not using a laptop live), but I wouldn't mind having that capability for home recording. I also wouldn't mind having the flexibility to add a laptop later if I ever decide to go the soft synths route. And both the Traveler and the 828 promote themselves as capable of being used in "standalone" mode as a digital mixer.

Therefore, if the MOTU interfaces can really pull double-duty as an audio interface and a standalone mixer for live gigs, it might be worth the additional investment now.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else gone through the same decision-making process? What did you decide to do? Why?

Noah

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Noah:

Yeah, I've been using my UltraLite as a mixer for a few events. Pros: Incredibly small and light. Very flexible routing, reverb, compression, eq, etc. Meters for all channels. Cons: A real pain to make changes on the fly. In the midst of a gig it's tough to get to the right place in the menu with the four little knobs. Only two mic inputs (if that's important to you). Metering is really small on the eyes.

Last weekend's gig I ended up taking the UL out of the rack and using my Yamaha MG10/2. It's just easier visually to make quick LH changes while not missing a beat. Unless it's a "set-it-and-forget-it" kind of gig, I think I'm going back to the MG10/2 - the UL requires the laptop (running MOTU's free cuemix software) to make a lot of changes to the UL, which defeats the porpoise.

...defeats the porpoise.

http://www.mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sabs/SpeciesAtRisk-Especesenperil/SAR%20Images/p.phocoena.jpg

DEFEAT THE PORPOISE NOW!

:)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

This is not a convenient place to try to get double duty from a device. When you need to change a parameter, you need to be able to reach out and grab that parameter.

I've got an RME Fireface, which can probably do the same thing. You could buy RMLs SAC software audio console, and just mix from your laptop or netbook... the developer works 48 track shows in Vegas with a netbook.

What you want to do? It is certainly doable. But it is like using a screwdriver for a chisel. In spite of the claims, it is the wrong tool for the job, at least for me.

As a live sound guy I have used many console,s both digital and analog. Nothing beats being able to reach out and grab a knob. Meanwhile, in the studio I don't HAVE a console, I do all the mixing in software. Different situation. Live, I want ot focus on playing, not other stuff.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

With that in mind maybe you need an onyx to feed both your needs. The 820i is the smallest. The smallest with faders is the 1220i

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Sort of as I suspected.

Throbert: I wish the 820i had been available when I picked up the 802VLZ3. Definitely more flexible because of the firewire capability. Alas, that unit wasn't out at the time. That said, it doesn't truly serve both my needs, because one objective was to avoid having to carry the mixer separate from the rack (by transitioning away from my 802VLZ3 to a rackable line mixer).

Looks like I'll be continuing my hunt for a used SM82 or LX308B....

Noah

This is not a convenient place to try to get double duty from a device. When you need to change a parameter, you need to be able to reach out and grab that parameter.

This probably isn't too helpful, since NoahZark is looking for a 1U rack mixer, but if you can find a Digi002 firewire audio interface (for ProTools), it has a standalone mode where it becomes a digital mixer with snapshot automation (all settings, not just faders), EQ, Comp, some FX & aux sends, etc.

C.

C.

I've been searching for a proper line mixer for many years. I had a lot of (analogue) mixers and eventually sold them because of one or more annoying limitations. Either you'll end up with a (large) general purpose desk with lots of channel strips and mic pre's you don't need or you have a 1U line mixer with zero flexibility. My last mixer was an A&H ZED14. Ridiculously large, odd mix of I/O connections (four sends on jack sockets, only one return on RCA, monitor out on RCA, etc, etc.). Soundwise it was very odd too, very woolly sound. Eventually I settled on a MOTU 828mk3, a bit reluctantly, because I hate this sort of complex piece of (digital) gear. I must admit, it has been a bit of a revelation. It has incredible i/o count and virtually no routing limitations. As far as I know the 828 is one of very few units that alows you to change every single parameter on the unit itself. The salesrep warned me that this would be a pain..., but in reality it is dead easy. Until now, the unit is rock solid stable and sounds better than any desk I've had. I also use it for interfacing, but mostly for mixing. It even has DSP, EQ is nice, but reverbs are horrible, but for live... A while ago I saw Scott Kinsey playing live with an ultralite, which he also used for mixing softsynths. So yeah, it can be done and is actually a very valid option if you ask me..

If you'd be happy with a "set it once and leave it" solution, a MOTU could be ideal. That is, if you always plug the same gear in the same slots, and you always want the levels & EQ set a specific way.

This is often the case for us kb players. I use a full (powered) mixer, the Yamaha EMX5000-12. I really like it, and a number of times it's been nice that I can do something different at a practice or jam with friends. But for live use and typical rehearsal, I always set the knobs the same way. I have a MOTU 828 (original version, pre mkII), and if I had powered speakers and used a rack, I'd probably be using it for my mix now that I'm not doing any studio work.

BTW, the original 828 has a much more restricted built-in mixer, but does have all or most of the functions I'd use for a live keyboards submix. (For example, no "pan": you can send a channel left, right, or center, but not anywhere in between.) In addition, it has volume knobs: channel input attenuation, and main and monitor output levels. But you can't change anything other than the input, main, and monitor levels on the fly without a computer. They're cheap right now on ebay. The patch setup program is stripped to bare essentials on Windows, better on Mac (e.g., you can save multiple setups).

I'm in the "set it and forget it" camp, using either the MOTU Ultralite or the Mackie U420 perched on the panel of my S90 Classic or S70XS. I think you'd do just fine for a small rig with 2-3 keyboards or rack modules.

Regards,

Eric

I'm a set it and forget it type too, controlling my volumes from the volume sliders on the keyboards. I have a 1U Behringer line mixer that works great for my needs. 8 stereo channels, unbalanced or balanced trs connections, fx send that I use to send my signal to the house, and stereo on stage for me.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived