Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Opinion on studio monitors

aellison62

I'm trying to decide on a pair of monitors to primarily listen to keyboards thru at home. What is the forum's general opinion of KRK rockit 8's vs. BX8A's ? Is there a dispersion difference between the two? If I got a hankering to take my monitors out w/me to jam w/friends is there a powered set of speakers (probably not the above) that could kinda do both jobs?(decent studio monitor but also "stage" capable) I appreciate any advice.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC361,

Kronos X61, RD-88, Nautilus 73

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I haven't met a 'studio' monitor that I would feel comfortable using onstage.

Cheap studio monitors won't keep up with a live band and I wouldn't want to take a great-sounding, expensive pair to a gig.

However, there is an ongoing discussion regarding the QSC K8 PA speakers. In theory, due to their size, they could pull double-duty as both home and stage monitors.

That said, I'm really not a fan of 8" speakers for stage monitoring purposes either especially if the band has to depend on hearing KBs through them as well. YMMV.

My recommendation would be to consider a pair of PA speakers which can serve dual purpose. This is based on the belief that you aren't actually using them as studio monitors i.e. recording. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If I got a hankering to take my monitors out w/me to jam w/friends is there a powered set of speakers (probably not the above) that could kinda do both jobs?

Studio monitors seem a bit fragile to transport--with no protective grille & exposed cones--I'd be cautious.

:(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

First time I ever played with a drummer, I made the mistake of running thru my studio monitors instead of the keyboard amp I had. I did it out of habit. The keyboard amp was sitting right there, but during prior get togethers with just the guitar player, the studio monitors were fine as I had him play low enough. I didn't realize I kept turning my monitoring system up thru the session with the drummer.

The next day, I found my system sounded funny, kind of "dead." Turns out, I blew out my tweeters and had to replace them. :(

If you're going to just play thru them at home and not use them for recording/mixing/mastering but also want to take them out for jams, I'd say get a good set of PA speakers (or just one for mono :thu: ). If you do want quality monitors for recording, forget the idea of taking them with you for the reasons mentioned above. The worst case is that you get a cheap keyboard amp that has enough power for the jams and upgrade later to something like a good powered speaker like a QSC K, JBL, etc.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ok, great points to consider, so if I go with a set of powered speakers

hat could be used at home but also rugged enough for playing out, what are the suggestions? I am TOLD by Sweetwater that the QSC K series (8, 10, & 12) all have an internal fan for cooling that, in a quiet home setting, is loud enough to bother. Anyone have info on this?

Has anyone an opinion on the new "Thump" series from Mackie (formally from Tapco?)

On the other side, if I stick with home monitors, my original question remains: given a budget encompassing the likes of KRK rockit 8's and BX8A's, is there a preference among you all favoring one over the other or are they comparable? (I realize the QSC exceeds KRK and M-audio budget but would offer dual role)

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC361,

Kronos X61, RD-88, Nautilus 73

• 4 weeks later...

Am biased but am not aware of any other speakers than the K Seies that can credibly serve as studio monitors and performance boxes. They're designed for live but sound so good people are using them for mixing.

Caveats: 1) If you're mixing at low volume fan noise could be an issue. But note the fans only come on when the heat detection circuit triggers, so it's not persistent.

2) The K's can get REALLY loud so be careful when mixing. 3) As with any monitors, check your mixes on other systems, your car, iPod, etc. That's true even with the flattest, high priced nearfield speakers on the market.

DK Sweet

Seeking out opinions about gear since 1990.

I owned the KRK RP8G2's, and they're good value for money. Both these and the M-Audio's are too bass-heavy to be neutral. If you know their shortcomings you could learn to mix on them.

The RP8G2's go louder than I'm comfortable with, but probably not loud enough to keep up with an enthusiastic drummer. If he's a jazz drummer with a sense of dynamics, it may just work.

I wouldn't transport studio monitors on a regular basis.

I've used ADAM P11As as a monitor for live purposes once, micing a gender (Javanese gamelan), but would not advise this, as they have no carpeting, grills, or protected corners. They sounded fine, though.

I'm trying to decide on a pair of monitors to primarily listen to keyboards thru at home. What is the forum's general opinion of KRK rockit 8's vs. BX8A's ? Is there a dispersion difference between the two? If I got a hankering to take my monitors out w/me to jam w/friends is there a powered set of speakers (probably not the above) that could kinda do both jobs?(decent studio monitor but also "stage" capable) I appreciate any advice.

The situation, as you describe it, asks for a keyboard amp.

I'm a quality studio monitor junkie. I can give you a boatload of information about studio monitors. But the product name alone should suggest to you that they are not designed to be PAs or instrument amps.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived