Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slate article on Yamaha's AvantGrand

Mike Davis

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just passing this on, but I was in contact with a Yamaha tech and was told in so many words this piano does not use the piano action from a nine footer. I would guess it's the same action as in the GranTouch.

When things pick up financially I will consider trading my GT in and buying the Avant.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I noted in the article that there's a grand version for $20K and an upright version for $15K. I'm wondering, first, since there is a genuine difference in the action in a grand piano and an upright, if the actions in the different versions are meant to feel like the real instruments they imitate or if both have the superior feeling action (grand piano action). And second, why would the upright be $5K less? Can't be $5K difference in the furniture components--so just what makes the upright cost that much less? It makes me wonder just what I'd be buying.

It would be wonderful to revisit the Well-tempered Klavier in different tunings at the touch of a button, but have the feel of a real piano. Great too if Yamaha would build in some other sounds--i.e., license the sound of some competitors, as well as a quality fortepiano.

Archived