Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hip Me To The Jam Band "Scene"

Dave Pierce

If you have access to Sirius or XM satellite radio, they have a station called Jam On - check it out and you will be turned on to lots of good (and some not so good) stuff.

Some Trey Anastasio solo stuff is pretty cool too.

You can also go here: http://music.aol.com/radioguide/rock-radio

and click on the "jam bands" link (or any other link that suits your fancy) to get some free online music that suits the genre you're looking for.

There's even a "Piano Rock" station. :thu:

Do you remember what station number it is on XM?

While I think of it, many may not know this, but Los Angeles radio is a cultural wasteland. If I didn't have XM, I'd die.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trick to appreciating jam bands is to pick an act that's not a household name (e.g., Umphrey's McGee rather than Phish), at a venu with no seating, get there early, and take a position right at the foot of the stage.

Within a short time you'll be surrounded by scantily clad young women jumping up and down.

Gotta love jam bands!

If you have access to Sirius or XM satellite radio, they have a station called Jam On - check it out and you will be turned on to lots of good (and some not so good) stuff.

Some Trey Anastasio solo stuff is pretty cool too.

You can also go here: http://music.aol.com/radioguide/rock-radio

and click on the "jam bands" link (or any other link that suits your fancy) to get some free online music that suits the genre you're looking for.

There's even a "Piano Rock" station. :thu:

Do you remember what station number it is on XM?

While I think of it, many may not know this, but Los Angeles radio is a cultural wasteland. If I didn't have XM, I'd die.

Jam On = XM56

It's not just L.A. that is a cultural wasteland. As certain corporations take over broadcasting, it has choked the variety of music available over the airwaves.

Satellie radio opens the ears to almost every type of music available and extracates you from the monotony of commercial radio. I want my...I want my... I want my XM radio!

Re: Santana as a jam band. I learned about that a few years ago when Live at the Fillmore 1968 came out. They used to play like that all the time. It was when they got in the studio to cut their first album that they pared down the songs to make them album and radio-friendly. Somehow, they managed to pull it off and still capture the feel with the shorter songs. The live versions of the songs were much longer.

Garrafon is right. FM radio no longer exists. Call it what it is, Clear Channel. Radio in just about every market is awful. What surprises me is that they haven't put themselves out of business. I guess people just mindlessly listen to it anyway.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Garrafon is right. FM radio no longer exists. Call it what it is, Clear Channel. Radio in just about every market is awful. What surprises me is that they haven't put themselves out of business. I guess people just mindlessly listen to it anyway.

Radio playlists have been narrowing since the 80s. But, Clear Channel defnitely took it to another level with their focus groups determining the songs a radio station will play in a given format. :rolleyes:

Yet, satellite radio is GREAT. Not tailored as much as something like Pandora but close to the extent that you get to hear more songs and less commercials.

Cool thread as I believe both jam bands and satellite radio open up possibilities for "new" music. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I got XM when it first came out, and let my subscription lapse about 2 years ago. Those playlists had narrowed considerably as well, and of course they dropped my favorite station, 51 (Music Lab).

Thank you Steve Jobs for the iPod.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I got XM when it first came out, and let my subscription lapse about 2 years ago. Those playlists had narrowed considerably as well, and of course they dropped my favorite station, 51 (Music Lab).

Thank you Steve Jobs for the iPod.

I understand your sentiment and I'mma let you finish but...:laugh:

IMO, beyond the internet, satellite radio offers a better chance at getting airplay than FM radio to indie artists/bands.

Until that changes, satellite radio needs our support. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I guess I hadn't realized that it was pandemic. I don't travel out of state as much as I used to. One exception to the Clear Channel Disease (CCD) that I found was in Memphis. I spent a year working there about 5 years ago and the local radio was terrific - particularly at night. You could pick up stations from Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana etc. so the mix was pretty eclectic.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

IF you can get "Hoy Hoy" by Little Feat,m there are some jams like "Day at the Dog Races" which were taken off the original recordings of "Waiting for Columbus. I think Wating for Columbus has also been reissued as a full concert. Billy Payne is no slouch, nor is the rest of the band.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Waiting for Columbus has been reissued with a full disc of material that didn't make it on the original (as well as the stuff that got cut from the original CD). It's a pretty definitive edition now. :thu:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Support public radio. The public radio station here in Louisville, WFPK, is amazing.

A noble cause indeed! I used to support the local public radio station as it was clearly the best option in my neck of the woods. But, for the same amount that I used to give to support one public station, I can get satellite radio with hundreds of stations. The decision is, and remains, a no brainer for me.

Support public radio. The public radio station here in Louisville, WFPK, is amazing.

A noble cause indeed! I used to support the local public radio station as it was clearly the best option in my neck of the woods. But, for the same amount that I used to give to support one public station, I can get satellite radio with hundreds of stations. The decision is, and remains, a no brainer for me.

Public radio certainly deserves support. I almost forgot it lives on the FM band with Clear Channel. :laugh:

A while back, the local station here featured Soulive. Also, it is still possible to get airplay on public radio too. :thu::cool:

PD

Another note about WP, their keyboard player plays a real upright live, not a digital piano in a case like some of those fakers out there. ;) In fact, the front of the piano is off so from the right seats or on camera, you can see the hammers and strings. :thu:

I also remember reading that the Jefferson Airplane got into extended jams because they only knew 2 or 3 songs, and had to play a 45 minute set.
I believe you are thinking of Rare Earth. That's how Get Ready became a 30+ minute song.
Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

Slightly OT:
I got XM when it first came out, and let my subscription lapse about 2 years ago.
You can purchase a lifetime subscription to XM for $399. People who pay by the month are overpaying. Although XM doesn't heavily advertise this pricing plan.
Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

Archived