Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie needing advice

Firegus

Hi,

I would like to update my Tecnics KN6500.

I am looking for a Keyboard with more rock styles as I am not a "gigging" player and only play for my own enjoyment.

I have a budget of £1500,

What would you suggest,

Thanks in anticipation.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

I would like to update my Tecnics KN6500.

I am looking for a Keyboard with more rock styles as I am not a "gigging" player and only play for my own enjoyment.

I have a budget of £1500,

What would you suggest,

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Firegus and welcome to The Keyboard Corner.

Look at THIS PAGE.

Pick something you like and ask us about it.

That's probably going to be the easiest way to proceed.

Take care,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

My local dealer is steering me towards a used Tyros 2.

But I would like something more rock orientated.

He doesn`t have a great selection as he only keeps popular models.

He has a Nord in stock, but I would prefer a "one man band" he has one or two Rolands in stock, but keeps pushing the Yamaha.

What are your top five "go-to" sounds?

Are you playing more synth patches, acoustic piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzer EP, or organ? Do you want B3 organ or Vox/Farfisa organ sounds? (or both?)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If you are not gigging, I don't see the need to spend 1500 pounds. Assuming that "rock sounds" means a variety of overdriven organs and bright pianos, I would lean toward Roland, and either an FP-4 or a RD 300 GX. I would also try a Casio Privia 330. If you like that, you'll save a bunch of money over the Rolands.
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Firegus, can you establish for us, first of all, whether you're looking for something with a piano-style (weighted) action? That's going to make a huge difference to recommendations you receive. I'm not familiar with that Technics model so don't know what kind of action it has, although the fact that your dealer is trying to steer you towards a Tyros would suggest it doesn't.

Nice to see someone from Ayr on here, btw. During my early childhood (5-8) we lived in the area and I attended Alloway Primary. I have long since lost the Scottish accent, however!

Yamaha P515 | Yamaha CP4 | Yamaha MODX 8 | Casio PX S1000 | Nord Electro 5D | Moog Sub 37 | Korg Monologue | Native Instruments Maschine MK3 | Novation Circuit Tracks | Plug-ins Agogo

Thanks for all your replies, It is more rock styles rather than sounds I am after, a keyboard with more variations on the 8 & 16 beat rock / pop styles.

I play mostly classic rock, Led Zepplin etc. and the technics does not give me the rythms I want.

More synth sounds would be nice

I does seem a high budget, when i`m not gigging, but, hey, it`s only money and if it does what I want then it`s money well spent.

Weighted would be nice

Aiden, Alloway Primary was recently rebuilt, so you wouldn`t recognise it now, shame, it was a lovely old building.

I'd take the Tyros I think.

Firegus, heard that about the school. Fortunately, I revisited the area about two years ago and was able to see the old place one last time.

And for the record, guys, I am 100% English - born in the same town as Robbie Williams. But I know you won't hold that against me...

Yamaha P515 | Yamaha CP4 | Yamaha MODX 8 | Casio PX S1000 | Nord Electro 5D | Moog Sub 37 | Korg Monologue | Native Instruments Maschine MK3 | Novation Circuit Tracks | Plug-ins Agogo

I really like my Tyros 2, but I'm not sure if it would be good for Zepplin stuff-style wise. Check out the Yamaha site and see if they have the rock syles you like that can be downloaded. Korg and Ketron should be given serious consideration too. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Archived