Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear and heat

Nillerbabs

Howdy folks,

In case I'd need an 88 key, and I will, I've been giving some thought as to where to put it, and I've ended up with the conclusion that putting it by the window will both inspire and provide a steady source of fresh air. However, there's a radiator just below the window, and sometimes in the winter it gets pretty fired up. How far should/can a piece of gear be from a heat source like this? Will heat affect audio and MIDI cables?

/Niels :)

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally apply a rule: If it's not good for me, it's not good for my gear either. That includes: not leaving the gear in the car (I wouldn't sleep in my car either), not leaving it in too hot and too cold places, not leaving it anywhere damp etc You wouldn't apply direct bodily contact to the radiator for too long, would you?

Radiators can be turned down, or off. If it's the only radiator in the room, turn it down a notch, to a temperature you are comfortable being near to, and then move your keyboard to a reasonable distance. Avoid direct contact. That should be good enough. You can also use a wooden panel to insulate the radiator from the keyboard (wood is pretty good heat insulator).

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Thanks for the answer. As to adjusting the heat, it's a pretty unstable radiator; a tiny notch sometimes means a huge temperature rise. It's supposed to adapt to the temperature of the room, but it doesn't seem to work too well... Anyway, I'll definitely look into the wood insulation thingy!

/ Niels

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Hi

I try to keep my elctronic gear away from direct sources of heat, and direct sunlight. Heres why:

Placing the keyboard close to a heat source might cause the electronic parts inside that do run hot, to run at a higher temp. This could affect long term reliability.

Also, the constant swings in temperature could cause condensation/water to build up inside the keyboard causing all kinds of additional problems. Finally placing the keyboard by a window in direct sunlight will fade the finish over time.

My wife left a record on a turntable, which was in front of the window. One day we went looking for the record and it was folded in half. :P

-Karl

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

Archived