Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Tone

PRS MAN

I use a Paul Reed Smith SE EG, a Digitech Distortion, a Crybaby from hell and a Marshall MG CD 10 as my main setup, i like hard and deep distortion and my digitech is doing it but i lose to much of my tone,do you have any advice, a pedal or anyting, i was thnkng bout a eq pedal but i dont thnk that would work, i love my amp its like 2 months old, I like a dark and very deep almost bassy sound, where it vibrates your frickin brains out of ya head, but still tell the notes, this may inpossible to find but i am trying any suggestions

_____DISCIPLE_ROCKS_____

PAUL REED SMITH GUITARS 4 EVER

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ease up a bit on the distortion gain, back off just a little on the treble and add a little more midrange, be careful that you don't have too much bass so that it doesn't get too muddy (all of the above an educated guess)...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

+1. Also, mind the EQ on the pedal, it will make your tone thin.

OR, get an amp that will make that kind of sound. An MC 10 is a pretty dinky amp to be getting a sound that vibrates your frickin brains out of ya head...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

OR, get an amp that will make that kind of sound. An MC 10 is a pretty dinky amp to be getting a sound that vibrates your frickin brains out of ya head...

Go amp shopping.

Yhup. If you can find an amp that will sound the way you want without needing a pedal to do so, that will help you immensely.

Consider shopping around for used Rivera amps- they're all tube-amps, and a lot of his models are of a type that should suit what you want, medium and high gain with big, tight bottom-end.

a practice amp is made for, well, practicing. It's made so you can just work on your technique and fretboard understanding, not for impressing a huge amount of people with amazing tone. Like what Picker, Bill, Caevan, and Zan said: get a new amplifier. Just make sure you shop around for quality, not for a deal.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Lots of good advice in the posts above, particularly about your amp. A 6.5" speaker just isn't going to grind the way you're wanting.

Some general tips to throw on the pile:

1) Get your guitar set-up. A properly intonated guitar can do wonders for tone in general, as well as getting rid of any string buzzes. Plus, a well set-up guitar is just a lot more fun and inspiring to play. And if you don't already know how to do a basic set-up, learn!

2) Try finding a "base tone" using only your guitar and amp and then add pedals for color, rather than relying on a pedal to do it all. Get everything EQ'd the way you want it, and THEN throw the distortion into the mix and start exploring settings to get what you're looking for. Of course, the amp is key here....

Just make sure you shop around for quality, not for a deal.

Good point!!

In the long run, you will have spent more on one and another and another amps that are OK/good for the price/bang for the buck bargains, than you would have if you'd sprung for a really good one the first time, and not continually been searching, replacing, upgrading etc. etc. etc.

Go amp shopping.

I have to back up Bill@ here. I'm a fan of the same thumpy percussive punchy tone. The only way to get that tone effectively is a good rectified high gain amp and a sealed back 2 or 4 x 12 cabinet.

Also, note that the current trend in amplifiers is to under power and drive the power tubes. But, it's been my experience that the thumpy bass punch (blood in the urine kidney assault) is really a high watt necessity...

My $0.02...

Also, note that the current trend in amplifiers is to under power and drive the power tubes. But, it's been my experience that the thumpy bass punch (blood in the urine kidney assault) is really a high watt necessity...

My $0.02...

In either case, big transformers- both the power-transformer, and the output-transformer - really help. (Or, in the case of your cudgeled kidneys, really hurt.)

I often wonder if some threads on this board are a joke to see if anyone responds.

This one was one of them. It was mentioning that amp then saying "as my main set up..." afterwards. What's the secondary set up? A Smokey cigarette pack amp?

I often wonder if some threads on this board are a joke to see if anyone responds.

This one was one of them. It was mentioning that amp then saying "as my main set up..." afterwards. What's the secondary set up? A Smokey cigarette pack amp?

My secondary amp is currently a Carvin power amp into two 1x10" speaker cabs, which I use to amp a POD XT Live/Variax set up.

My tertiary amp is a Crate PowerBloc that takes the place of the Carvin if necessary.

My quadriary amp is a Peavey Sutdio Pro 40 that I use for jams because it's light, small and loud enough to do the job.

My primary amp is a Mark III Mesa Boogie 1x12 combo.

Are you stuck with just one amp? How sad...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

My secondary amp is currently a Carvin power amp into two 1x10" speaker cabs, which I use to amp a POD XT Live/Variax set up.

My tertiary amp is a Crate PowerBloc that takes the place of the Carvin if necessary.

My quadriary amp is a Peavey Sutdio Pro 40 that I use for jams because it's light, small and loud enough to do the job.

My primary amp is a Mark III Mesa Boogie 1x12 combo.

Are you stuck with just one amp? How sad...

The original post refers to the "Main setup" being a tiny practice amp. I don't think a 6 1/2" speaker is going to rattle anyone's brains out with massive bass response. :idea::D I think that's where p90 is coming from with that comment.

Billster got it, Jack.

I couldn't tell if PRS man was a high schooler looking for actual advice or someone yankin' everyone's chain for laughs.

If he's a high school kid, and money is an issue for gear, I'll make a suggestion that will make most of you groan and shake your heads and suggest he work and save up a little and get a Bugera halfstack (they're inexpensive) BUT be sure to buy it from Guitar Center or mail-order equivalent AND send in every bit of warranty information... since I have no faith in them not crapping out...

I've been using a 2 x 12" Crate V 50 that a friend has in a place I've been practicing and it sounds great and very powerful. It's the replacement they sent him, though, when the 1 x 12" V 50 he bought in a Musician's friend clearance thing crapped out 2 days after he got it (they were out of those, which all seemed to need replacing, so he got a big accidental upgrade). He lucked out in the sense of a bargain, but I wouldn't recommend paying full price for Crate stuff to have to deal with all of that.

I have a Sovtek Midget Mig 50 and two Sovtek 2X12 vertical slanted cabs that I got for very cheap that are hellraisers and I use when I need to peel paint off of the other side of a bigger club or theater. Other than the Midget, though, Sovteks have a lot of plastic parts so if you don't know a tech to keep them going they can be dicey (and I don't think any of them are that cheap anymore).

As a kid I rattled walls with a 15 watt solid state 1 x 12" Holmes Mini-Picker 12 amp. It was loud as hell, loud enough to dominate with my buddy's Ludwig Vistalite drum set... and spur constant complaints from neighbors. The damned thing sounded great turned up all the way (no master volume). I went digging for it at my folks house a few years ago to find that my step-bro, who inherited it to use with his bass, set it on fire in the backyard one day for some reason just to watch it burn.

Oh, and I have too many amps... or enough, as different venues and bands call for different things. The Crate Power block is a life-saver... so is the Tech 21 character series pre-amp pedals to plug into it to get decent tone through the thing (since most problems I've encountered live have more to do with preamps I've plugged the Tech 21 Liverpool into a combo amp's power amp and been good to go a few times).

Archived