Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recorded music for promotion not profit?

CD sales are down. Napster-like file sharing is still available and growing. CD burners are becoming standard on most computers. There is a growing public perception that recorded music should be free for the taking. Pure music as an entertainment choice is being displaced by DVD's and video games. People seem less willing to pay for music without video content. The sheer amount of new music released just this year is more than you could listen to in one lifetime, but fewer people want to actually buy any of it. It would seem that the value of recorded music is decreasing as a profit source. However, the value of music for promotion and advertising is still very strong. Could it be that all recorded music will eventually be given away for free as a promotional tool for live shows, DVD's, product advertising and movies? It seems to be headed in that direction already. What do you think?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. I don't hope that's the way things are going to be (I'd like to see artists get paid), but I think that's the way things are headed. Given the available technology and what the public wants (they're now spoiled from Napster, etc.), I don't think we're going to be seeing a change in this attitude anytime soon. There could be something else going on here other than CD sales being down, but when [url=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20011120/re/people_britain_jagger_dc_1.html]Mick Jagger\'s new album only sells 954 copies in its first day[/url] , something appears to be wrong... [ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: popmusic ]

Archived