Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time Away from Bass

Wally Malone

About two months ago I hurt my right arm helping a friend move a couch. I started PT and it was suggested that I lay off playing my basses to see if that helps the healing. The last time I played was a week ago Thursday and I sure miss it. I've been doing the exercises given to me by the therapist and icing the spot daily as well. It seems to be getting a little better. I have three PT sessions left and an appointment with the doctor mid November. This is the longest I've gone without playing since 2000 when I had my bicep surgery. If I was gigging I could still play but since I'm off at the moment anyway I'm OK with it.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hear that Wally. Thanks for sharing. I've been sitting around the last few weeks not wanting to pick up my bass and here you want to and can't. Just the kick in the a@@ I needed. Hope your better soon.
Can't control the ocean but we can learn to ride the waves.

Not sure how long I'll have to lay off. I hope not too long. I don't feel pain when I play but do notice it after finishing. If a great gig came up I could & would play.

Wally

It's good to have time away from the instrument.

Time to read up or learn more theory.

Stop you from becoming stale etc.

Speedy recovery though my friend ...

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Stay with the doctor's recommendation and do the time getting better. You just increase your chances of not having to go back to him for a longer time.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Maury, I was out for 10 weeks when I had the surgery on my left bicep. I was doing Tony & Tina's Wedding in San Francisco and my sub was a happy camper. That is when I bought my Alembic Orion 6 and used that big neck as my rehab.

Wally

Get well, Wally. I remember you mentioning the bicep surgery. How long were you out for that?

Get better soon but make sure both the PT and your doctor know how much it means to you. After discussing this, you may want to bring in an instrument and show them how you hold it and play, that may give them a better insight as to what you are telling them, since they may not be as familiar as a player may be.

I hate helping people move, after the last time I said hire a mover you cheap ckuf!

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I took a full year off from playing last year and what I did was rediscover listening to music like a fan, not a musician. I listened without analyzing everything - just tried to love music like I used to.

I wasn't burned out or anything, but I had been practicing a lot and I figured that you have to be able to let go of the things you love sometimes.

When I came back I felt I was better than ever from day 1. I didn't feel stale at all. We aren't machines - time off is good and absolutely necessary.

Sorry to hear about the injury Wally. I've taken time off from playing a couple of times and found each time I returned to playing how much I enjoyed it. Sometimes you forget. Like that old cliche goes "absence makes the heart grow stronger".

Anyway, get well soon!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I was out 6 weeks after Ulnar nerve surgery (the subject of which probably was my first post here). I bought my first 5 stringer one week prior to the surgery, with the intent of learning something new (not being able to play again was NOT an option).

Followed Dr's orders, but asked (nicely) if he could fashion the secondary cast so that my left hand was pointed upwards (or at least @ 45 degrees. He agreed and I could practice a bit - it wasn't normal, but better, without comprimising the healing process.

The time away was good, but not great. Dr's orders first - everything else will fall in place, in time.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• 1 month later...

It's been about eight weeks since I played bass. Today I went to the doctor and he looked at the MRI from last week and luckily no major problem with the rotator cuff. He believes that it is an impingement and gave me a shot of coritsone. He wants me to keep doing some the PT exercises and see him in about six weeks. I can start playing my bass again!

Wally

Great news.

Careful with the cortisone shots. You don't want to get them too often. They did help with my shoulder a lot even though 2-3 days after (when the lidocain that is with it wears off) I always felt like my shoulder was killing me more then before.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I'm with you on the hurting more after the shots. I've gotten shots a few times in my ankles and usually after two days it feels better than before the shots.

Wally

Great news.

Careful with the cortisone shots. You don't want to get them too often. They did help with my shoulder a lot even though 2-3 days after (when the lidocain that is with it wears off) I always felt like my shoulder was killing me more then before.

Tom, actually in some way they do. The first time I had a shot in my right ankle was three days before a Rumours concert. At that time I couldn't walk without severe pain. I did that show and that was the best my ankle felt in a long time. Usually my ankle would always hurt after a gig like that. That was a year ago August and have had two other shots in that ankle and one in my left. Yes, I am concerned about what happens next since they say about three shots to a given area is about all one should have.

Wally

Archived