Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When you turn 50 you should do, or buy, something special.

RABid

Well, today is the day. This half century desease seems to be going around on the forum. I thought about goind somewhere special and doing something special. My best friend went skydiving. I thought about it for a while and then decided to go into debt and get someting I always wanted, and, ... someting I said I would never own again...

Introducing, the early stages, the mess taking over my breakfast room, the thing I wanted for 30 years and somehow never got,

The birth of Frankensynth.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/RabidMusic/Frankinsynth/Frankinsynth.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/RabidMusic/Frankinsynth/Voyager.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/RabidMusic/Frankinsynth/DotCom.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/RabidMusic/Frankinsynth/EuroRack.jpg

This post edited for speling.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Looks like you're going to have some knob twisting, patch cord fun! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Congratulations Robert!

As one who went through this same birthday at this time just a few years ago, I can attest - don't get anxious. Everything's going to be alright.

OTOH, it would be a good idea to try to make your birthday (I celebrate the entire week, myself), memorable.

Certainly, throw a party for yourself. Don't wait for someone else to plan it, go ahead and do it yourself - that way you are sure that it's going to be exactly what you had hoped for.

OK - if that's too much, then call a few close friends and have them meet you at your favorite watering hole. Buy them all a round or three in celebration that you lasted this long (and in hopes of lasting a bit longer). Be sure to thank them for putting up with you for as long as they have.

Finally, as a fellow SCORPIO, be sure to make time for romance. You and your lady go out to dinner. Don't look at the prices - just go and enjoy yourselves. Afterwards, come home and relax. Be sure to put a tie around the doorknob to ward off any interruptions. :blush:

You don't have to buy a red sports car and go through a mid-life crisis when you turn 50. But you do have to stop and celebrate your life. It's expected.

Have fun!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Wow. Looks like you're going to have some knob twisting, patch cord fun! :thu:

Right now it is confusing. That could an effect of turning 50. Maybe I should take a nap before tackling it again. :bor:

OTOH, it would be a good idea to try to make your birthday (I celebrate the entire week, myself), memorable.

Got up at 6 AM this morning and worked on the modular. Going to my nephiew's for a birthday gathering at 2 PM, and taking the week off to do what ever I feel like doing. I'm not sure if I want to do something to celebrate the birhday or to forget it. :P

Oh, I can happily report the the Voyager is much more stable than the old Model D I used back when it was new. That MiniMoog was followed by a very early release of the MemoryMoog that I had to open up and tune once a week while gigging. At the time I swore I would never have another Moog. This one makes a great interface for the modular. This was a floor demo and I had to tune it when it arrived. The voyager is harder to tune than the old MiniMoog, but not as bad as tuning 18 osc's on a Memory Moog.

Geez......

When I hit 50 the last thing I thought about was gear..... I took my family to New York City and ate my way down Mulberry Street during the San Gennaro Festival........since that calorie overload didn't kill me I've since gone on to empty my wallet according to GAS.....

Congratulations on the gear and the milestone....ENjoy!

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

When I hit the big Five-O last year, I decided to get a Prophet 08 just because I never could get a P5 back in the day and now more I'm financially able. At the time, I thought that would end my "mid-life" crisis. Then this year I got a PC3X. So, I think it's all a case of GAS after all. But, the 50th did give me a good excuse at the time..... :thu:

Woo-hoo -my 100th post - after only 8 and 1/2 years on the forum!

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

I used to love the old modules... I worked with some of the Moog pieces in the early 70s. But at heart I'm still a guitar player.

I'm on the downhill slide to 60, and I had decided that my present/goal for that mile marker was to retire at 60. But I've pushed the envelope, and I'm all but retired now.

Which, of course, leaves me with a new quest for 60... what to do, what to do...

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Happy Birthday Robert. I hit the same milestone back in January. It's not so bad. I have treated myself to a Motif and a M3 this year and my brain is still trying to figure them out. Congrats on the Voyager. I always wanted one myself. Maybe someday. Hope all is well in Kentucky. Good luck with the new modular setup but take Tom's advice and do something nice for yourself. You're a great guy and you deserve it!

Brad

Kronos 88 | MODX7 | Wavestate | Crave | KeyLab 61 | CPS SSv3 | MacBook Pro | MainStage | More VSTs than I'll ever figure out

www.thehenrysmusic.com

That's fantastic, Robert!

Frankly, I would be happy with just the black modular (is that Synthesizer.com?). With that whole system, I would never go out anymore!

And - Happy Birthday! I crossed the half-century line last June, and I don't feel too bad about it. A big party and lots of friends did help. :)

Happy birthday, Robert! Congrats on your new toys. :cool:

I hit the half century mark ten months ago, and considering that I had just purchased a Mac Pro and a bunch of music software and peripherals the month before, I didn't buy anything for the big event. But I'm still enjoying my gear, so it's all good.

Have fun on your big day! :wave:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Happy Birthday RABid. :thu:

Reaching the half-century mark is a milestone. Enjoy your new toy.

Also, celebrating all week is the right thing to do. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

All our family & freinds are there. Get to the front room and the wife says "look this way", I turned the corner and there in the front room is my new Yamaha C2 Grand. She'd had it delivered that day while I was at the game.

Couldn't help myself...I cried, and still haven't gotten over it. I enjoy it daily.

Happy 50th.

Are you a rep for Yamaha? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Congratulations! You are now an official geezer :thu:

When I turned 50, my wife threw me a surprise party. She booked the jazz trio I played in partly so that I wouldn't get booked for something else. She also booked the local pool hall/sports pub where we played pool every week. I ended up playing for my own birthday :D

Hitting 50 also triggered a gear buying spree.

Happy 50th!

Jamie

happy birthday robert

that is some nice birthday present.enjoy

you might be right with your statement "When you turn 50 you should do, or buy, something special." ...I think it is endemic

after selling off a lot of toys I celebrated my birthday earlier this year with a slightly pre-emptive purchase of a Prophet 5 [unrestored ,I hope cheap compared to a restored one ] with a mint original remote "sling on". [keytar to the younger crowd] pre-emptive because ya' gotta' grab em' when they appear.

And continued to celebrate thru year, by buying a 1949 Vauxhaul Calleche convertible [unrestored and cheap], 2 x 1948 dodge fargo panel deliverys [unrestored and cheap] future gig truck I hope, a house for my new girlfriend and I [unrestored and cheap, the house not my girlfriend]

gee I hope my old house [unrestored too and cheap] sells before the end of the year , or this spending has sunk me hee hee ,

And finally a new Casio PX 330 [the only thing not unrestored but by its own virtue I guess cheap..hee hee]...whew what a year of gas...but there was the bad too so a memorable 50th birthday year good and bad.

Just call me unrestored and cheap..well isnt that what a 50 year old is...well at least on the street...whoops I mean street value.

I will go out surrounded by toys. This just adds to the inventory.

WoW! Congrats.

My older brother Dave just turned 50 (I ain't far behind). I traded a bunch of gear for a nice telecaster body with boutique hardware and saddle and a big honking Charlie Christian pickup in the neck position. I bought a fine '50s style neck on eBay (from the Pigtronics guy, incidentally), pieced the things together and had "Davecaster '59 Special" professionally stenciled on the headstock. I toyed with "Deathcaster" but ultimately decided against it, though I liked the macabre humor, and I also think growing older is all about deriving power and wisdom from mortality.... but anyway...

So that's what showed up on his doorstep on his 50th. Yep, i.e., 50 is big and it is best celebrated/grieved with BIG NEW STUFF.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Thanks all. Now I need to find a good book or website on programming modular systems. So far I'm not having much luck. I think the Livewire pices are my favorite but they don't come with any information at all. No .pdf file on the site. Nothing. Those are the three large modules in the middle row of the light cabinet. Darlek Modulator, Audio Frequency Generator and Vulcan Modulator. They are pretty complex and I have no idea how to use some of the jacks. The best information I have found so far is watching Youtube videos. Even so, if I was starting over that wold be the first three pieces I get.

Funny, I am turning 50 in a few months and am considering selling off most of my gear- is that a mid-life crisis? I have already parted with a few big pieces (Omega, Prophet '08) and I find I don't miss them at all.....

I know how you feel. Just a couple of years ago I had about 30 guitar amps and more than 30 guitars, three keyboards, and piles of recording gear, something over 36 channels of microphone preamps and a mic collection to die for.

In the past several years I have whittled the guitar and amp collection down to a small handful of each, and I now know the 6 guitars I am taking into retirement, and the 3 amps. Got the mic pres down to 8 channels. The mics will be a little harder, but I've dumped some of the Neumanns, AKGs, and Beyers. I replaced the Pearl drum kit with an Alesis Pro (though I still haven't gotten rid of the Pearls yet...) and I'm dumping racks, video decks, and room traps and all sorts of stuff.

At first it was weird. Now it makes me feel good every time another piece goes out the door.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived