Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So...you couldn't find a bass player???

duff beer

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting... The song, as it was originally recorded, is basically a long-ass bass solo, so it's kind of funny that they didn't get a bassist to play this gig. Maybe they decided to play without a bassist because the original guy (Rushton Moreve) died in 1981. Listening to this version, I do miss the bass part quite a bit... and I also notice how haggard John Kay sounds. Man... he's raggedy in the pipes.

But, having said this much, it's their song... so they can do whatever they want with it. It's not a big deal.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Either they were playing with a recorded track or that keyboard player is an awesome pedal bass player too. I hear bass and it's not just my imagination. It's kinda burried but it's there.

Yes, John Kay sounds like crap.

Yeah I saw this on HDNET a while back. We actually did a show with them back in '81 I think, in a Bowling alley Bar in New Baltimore, Mich. A pretty good sized place though. I think John Kay was the only original member even back then. I heard a bass line also but it didn't seem to drive the song. A pity because the bass line really rocks this song. Oh well.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

It's been more than 40 years since Born To Be Wild came out, and I think Mr. Kay's pushing 70, nearabout. I'd say he looks and sounds pretty darn good for his age.

Have you seen Ricky Medlocke lately? He looks like he's auditioning to host Tales From The Crypt.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Yeah, there's some kind of bass something happening in there, but it definitely isn't that bad-ass line you hear on the original. Like I said, the original is like a long-ass bass solo... but it works.

You know, there are all kinds of reasons why bands don't have hired gun musicians onstage with them for broadcast performances. It's really none of our business, I guess. We should probably count ourselves lucky to even get a Steppenwolf performance of any kind at this late date... Have you noticed that one of Kay's eyes is... erm... permanently squinting? That ain't right.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived