Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig Report: The Dapper Dans @ Punk Night

EddiePlaysBass

Just got home from this one ... Up until recently, a local organisation took it upon themselves to organize so-called "Monsters Of Rock" evenings, with local and international tribute bands for acts such as AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith and Rammstein. Recently they began to calculate that if they booked "regular" bands with original material, they'd be able to book three bands for the price of one tribute band. Somehow, The Dapper Dans got mixed up in this line of thinking.

Sound check (God, I hate those) started and as soon as I whooped out the WAV, the sound man lost it. Those who have seen a recent thread of mine know that I simply bought an A/B box and use one amp for both the Marcus Miller Jazz and the WAV. Well, for some reason the WAV sounded like "2 Girls 1 Cup" and the sound man, having heard about 10 seconds of me playing it, decided he "could not make it work". One of his compadres suggested an additional DI and pumping my monitor. Whatever floats your boat, Jack, as long as I get to play.

After a long, long delay, we finally hit the stage to a hall that is about 1/4th filled (with the tribute acts, you'd get the place absolutely packed) and all I hear is bass. There are worse things, I know, but after 3 songs I ask for some more lead guitar and a little less bass. So I get no bass and heaps of lead guitar :freak: Never realised how badly our lead guitarist can keep rhythm ... Right, less lead then !

All in all, the show went well. We played our stuff, did two new songs (Jerry Lee's "Great Balls Of Fire" which I hacked, and Elvis Presley's "My Baby Left Me" with yours truly on upright, and everybody raving ... definitely a keeper) and the crowd loved it. Funny how that goes ... We got asked for an encore, which I really didn't want to do since we came on 15 minutes late, but what the heck. Turns out the drummer didn't hear one shred of bass during the whole song. Which explains why he was about a beat off :freak: That'll teach 'em for asking for encores !

At the risk of repeating myself: funny how it goes ! For me, the gig was a nightmare. Bad sound, lack of groove, you name it and we blew it. But everyone and my dad was positive about it, saying that it was really one of the best shows yet. Except my misses, who said that - as usual - we started getting people riled up around the time we called it quits :grin: Still, an old acquaintance came up to me afterwards and said: "Man, you really love doing what you do up there ! And the more you love it, the more I love it!"

For myself, the gig was a partial fail. I need more woodshedding on the upright, that much is clear. I am not yet confident enough on it to take it to the stage, and yet I do. Guess that's a learning curve right there. But also on the electric, I feel I let myself down in terms of technique, endurance and overall performance. Idunno, perhaps we are our own worst critic, but I was not pleased with myself and will be working harder in the future, to improve my game.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we went over really well. Got loads of compliments and kudos, so that part at least did not s*ck :) Wish I'd given the Zoom to my girlfriend for recording from the audience, but even the recordings from the stage came out very well. Low on bass though :(

I still don't get the part about the sound guy not being able (or willing) to work with the WAV plugged into the same amp as the Fender. Anyone have any thoughts on that ? These guys were grade A clowns, so I guess that's an answer in itself :grin:

Here is a picture of me playing the WAV.

I think it was probably just that the WAV was way outside their experience so they acted up about it. Kind of like if an accordian player showed up at a punk club. Do you find the WAV output kind of low? I'm thinking or getting a pre-amp.

Glad the audience loved your gig, it's their reaction that counts. And I think it's good to leave them wanting more.

Consider trying to position your monitor amp (did you have that??) so that the drummer can hear you a bit. Too bad that the sound on stage wasn't what worked for you.

Here is a picture of me playing the WAV.

I wonder what Erik will say about that shirt...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah in the end it is the crowd that counts. Even my dad said it was a good gig and that we'd come a long way so that alone made me happy, since he is about the most blunt and tactless person I know, when it comes to performing music.

Phil, the output of the WAV is lower than my Fender, for sure. I have an EQ pedal which I might throw in, just to see what gives. In future though, if we play a gig with a PA, I'll consider taking two amps - one for each instrument.

Tom, good advice re: the monitor amp. I did have one, indeed. If you look closely in the picture, you'll see my trusty Peavey TKO 65 - I use it mainly for home practice and the occasional gig like this one. It has a great sound, especially when combined with my cheap fretless bass :freak: I kid you not.

It is an unwritten rule that when you think you suck, everybody loves you. The flip side is that when you think you sound good, nobody says anything. Oh well, just play the tunes and take what you get.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived