Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - RIP Soupy Sales

wjwilcox

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad. Another "end of an era" legend. His heyday was slightly before my time, but as a huge fan of The Three Stooges I could relate. Rumor has it that he was considered for the role of "Curly" at least once.

RIP Soupy.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Too bad. Another "end of an era" legend. His heyday was slightly before my time, but as a huge fan of The Three Stooges I could relate. Rumor has it that he was considered for the role of "Curly" at least once.

RIP Soupy.

I didn't know that. Nobody could be a better Curly than Curly. But Soupy would certainly have been a better choice than Shemp.

RIP Soupy.

I didn't know that. Nobody could be a better Curly than Curly. But Soupy would certainly have been a better choice than Shemp.

Yeah, I forget as to whether this was in Moe's book or the book by Larry's brother.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

In high school my best friend's dad did sound for the Soupy Sales show in NYC......I saw 3 shows from the control booth......got an autograph.....will never forget him.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I vaguely remember Soupy saying the following to Jayne Mansfield ... and does anyone else remember this incident?

She comes on and was playing with her hair. She says something like I have hair in my mouth and Soupy says, Well, I guess you're used to that. I tried to find a YouTube of that but was unsuccessful.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I was watching the infamous show that January as a kid when he said go into your mother purse and take out those pieces of paper with the pictures on it and mail them in. I thought it wasn't a big deal when he said it, just another Soupy show.

There was so much to like about Soupy before that happened (and after). It just seemed a bit asinine, even as an 8 year old that they would string him up for something like that.

he was just pure postmodern fun in a bottle!

The anti Capt. Kangroo and Mr Rogers. . .

Filo Kvetch is now on the caper upstairs!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I like this clip:

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Soupy used to do his show on the ABC affiliate in Detroit where I grew up. I was a rabid fan. If you Youtube Soupy Sales practical joke you'll see a video segment of a practical joke played on him. Soupy went to his infamous door and behind it was a naked woman. Very funny.....

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Soupy Sales Show Blooper Practicle Joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik1Aq8KaAjo

The studio that day was filled with curious onlookers who were in on the joke. Soupy knew that something was up, but he wasnt quite sure what. The show started precisely at noon, and ran smoothly. At about 12:27 Soupy, as rehearsed, heard a womans scream. He ran to the door, opened it, and instead of a pair of womens shoes saw a nude woman wearing nothing but a smile. Soupy stole a quick glance at the master monitor, hoping that the curvaceous cuties image wasnt being broadcast live over the airwaves. Sure enough, to his horror the monitor showed exactly what Soupy had feared- a smiling nude woman. The engineers were clever enough to patch a different camera angle into the monitor, making Soupy think that thousands of Detroit kiddies were at home eating their lunches in front of the TV while getting a lesson in female anatomy. In reality, what the kids saw was a speechless Soupy standing next to an open door, nothing more. Soupy saw what he thought was his career passing before his eyes.

Since the show was broadcast live, no video footage exists. The gag was recreated once more in Los Angeles in 1962, but because the show had gone completely to videotape by then, any flubs could be easily edited out, making the practical joke less effective. The L.A. footage has survived; in the 1990s it became a popular part of Soupys nightclub act. Naked Lady number two married a California banker, while Naked Lady number ones whereabouts are unknown

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived