Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are the folks at Gibson nuts?

b5pilot

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manny's was crap since the early 1990's. Rudy's never gets my business any more, after that asshat that use to work in the bass department (Scott) called me a liar when I asked if he would come close to a price on a Bergantino cabinet. Sam Ash makes Guitar Center seem bearable.

Yes, an amazing lady! On a good note she just had vocal cord surgery to remove two polyps and we expect her voice to be back to normal.

Wally

... there was an interview with my wife in that issue.

<**40Hz rummages in his memories and does some amateur logical deduction**>

Would that be Lady Bo as in Peggy Malone? What a partner you have! Amazing guitarist. I thought your name looked familiar.

<** 40Hz doffs his hat and bows deeply **>

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

You haven't lived until you've heard Capasso rockin' out on his Gibson EB. Really.

Thank you my brother!

Gibson has made some nice instruments, and some not so nice instruments. With Fender Ps & Js being the industry standards, you have to have an open mind to appreciate what (some) Gibson basses (and other manufacturers) have to offer. It does seem like some are better designed than others.

That said, the pricing (which I think is the original poster's key point) is ridiculous. The quality/price ratio on Tobias basses (another Gibson line) doesn't look good to me either. Gibson's bass strategy seems inconsistent.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Gibson is very much living off of their name, and they're doing it mostly with guitar players. Considering the product line we've been offered as bass players, IMHO Gibson regards bass players as a secondary consideration.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Gibson regards bass players as a secondary consideration.

Second? Maybe fourth. Gibson still makes some nice banjos and ukuleles.

By the way, the Jack Cassidy is the only electric bass I would consider adding to my collection at this point. I have everything else covered.

By the way, the Jack Cassidy is the only electric bass I would consider adding to my collection at this point. I have everything else covered.

Fifth. Don't forget the mandolins.

Fifth. Don't forget the mandolins.

I think that they realize they can't compete for market share with Fender and others so they just offer a few instruments. What irks me is that they seem to have the arrogance to way overprice these instruments apparently just because it's a Gibson. I know, there are other makers living off their reputation, but this just seems way out of proportion.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

The Jack Cassidy bass is actually a pretty interesting and unique bass. I've played on once or twice (and heard Jack play his) and thought it sounded pretty good and nothing like any other bass.

I've heard Glenn Worf play one in a small club setting in Nashville. It was a very nice sounding bass. It really doesn't sound like anything else out there.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Archived