Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Fish Report

Rocky McDougall

Last week I acquired a fantastic bass that I just had to tell you about. It is a 93-94 Fender Precision Lyte, MIJ.. This is probably my 8th or 9th MIJ. All have been good players with very nice fit and finish. I had seen some Lytes before, but most were well worn examples. Now I know why they were well worn. This bass, for those not familiar, has a downscaled Precision body with P/J pick ups. The body is cut away for a 22 fret Jazz neck. It is the same shape as the US Precision Deluxe but smaller overall The weight is 7lbs. 2oz. . The neck is a very slim Jazz, measuring 1- 7/16 at the nut, with a 4 bolt micro tilt plate. The body and headstock are painted a beautiful Pearlescent cream. All hardware is gold plated. The pickups are Fender logo P/Js with Kubiki electronics. The sounds available are impressive. This is unquestionably the nicest neck, I have ever encountered in the 75 -100 Fenders I have owned over the years. The quality of craftsmanship on this instrument is outstanding. It may not be your cup of tea, but I like it a lot, as you can tell. :love:

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the great new axe... I've liked the P Lytes that I've played. I've never seen one with 2 Jazz pickups though... I've always seen them with a P-J configuration. I actually have a complete set of P-Lyte pickups and active electronics in my parts box downstairs.

There are actually 2 P-Lytes on craigslist here in the Denver area right now... one is a very attractive dark sunburst finish and the other is the same Pearlescent cream as yours.

They have a very similar neck profile to my CIJ Aerodyne, that nice slim Jazz profile. I don't think I've come across any CIJ Fender bass or guitar that wasn't very well made and that didn't feel great and play even better. I'm sure there are some duds out there but I haven't seen any.

How about some pics??

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Congrats on the great new axe... I've liked the P Lytes that I've played. I've never seen one with 2 Jazz pickups though... I've always seen them with a P-J configuration.

DX

Sorry, I mis-typed, they are P/J pups.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Rocky

You need to put the photos up on an internet site first. Some use their own domain to store their photos or you can use a website like www.photobucket.com to host them.

Then you go to that site and right click the photo. One of the options should be "properties" and this will give you the URL.

Then in your Lowdown post you click the box "switch to full reply screen".

Then you click on the 4th icon from the left just above the text.

This will then come up with a window and you paste your URL there.

And hopefully voila in the "Preview Post" you should see the picture.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Back to the CIJ. I have a phenomenal CIJ fretless Jazz neck that has been epoxy'd by HG Thor in the states. He said that it is one of the nicest necks he'd ever seen ... and he coats necks every day!

I didn't realise you were such a fan.

Cheers

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I had a Fender Precision Bass Lyte as my main bass for years (1995 to 1999). I had the red/crimson with the "foto-flame" finish. I bought it on clearance at Sam Ash for $350 back then. They even threw in a SKB hard case for it.

Basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and electronics as described. I eventually replaced the bridge pickup with a humbucker (same Jazz PU shape).

The bass played like butter. The sound... meh. It was okay. I never loved it. The body, while light and resonant, made the lower-end kind of mushy. No amount of EQ or adjustments seemed to fix this for me.

I eventually sold it for $400 in 2003. Worked for me.

As most of you know, I am retired and my current income comes from buying and selling Fender basses. I buy and sell 3 or 4 a week. Most, I keep for a month or two and play them or fix whatever might be wrong with them. I have always loved the MIJ necks. Most have the 7 1/2" radius,(which I prefer), rather than the 9 1/2" of the MIA and MIM necks. The fret installation, leveling and crowning is as good if not better than any US neck. Maybe some custom shop stuff is as good but I don't deal in many of those instruments. The cost of most MIJs is not what it should be,IMO, so they are usually a good buy. I would not sell this bass for less than $1,000 but will probably keep it. I really like instruments that are in Pristene condition. I am not a Road Worn fan. Anyway, maybe I will do a thread on the worst bass I have ever had.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and electronics as described. I eventually replaced the bridge pickup with a humbucker (same Jazz PU shape).

We are not too familiar with Basswood in this country but in your Eastern manufacturing countries, it is considered a premium wood like we think of Ash in the US.

Benjamin Franklin

mmm...this, it is...

http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/42021/2025435260068276959S600x600Q85.jpg

Nice bass Rocky. It's cut a bit like my TRB.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/63p-bass/PJ%20-%20TRB5%20-%20BB/100_1646.jpg

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Archived