Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help My Guitar Player loves his Capo!

Bottom End

Well, I wasn't playing with Muddy. Albert, or Keef.

IT went well today, I just need to keep practicing.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bo Diddley used open tuning and also used a capo. He never announced what song he was going to play or the key. I would look over and see what position the capo was and nail the key.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Bo Diddley used open tuning and also used a capo. He never announced what song he was going to play or the key. I would look over and see what position the capo was and nail the key.

Wally

...and that's why Wally's a bad mamajama.

BTW, be glad your gtr. player will use a capo. A lot won't because they think it makes them look like pu$$ies.

ime, a lot who do use capos *are* pussies. Plus -- not sure if this is a result of using the capo, or just goes hand in hand with being a pussy -- all the guitarists I know who rely heavily on a capo absolutely suck at tuning their guitars. Takes 'em forever, they rarely get it right, and they constantly have to retune every time they move the capo.

In the right hands I think a capo is a brilliant way to expand the guitar's sonic vocabulary. It just rarely seems to make its way into the right hands.

Capos are fine tools, just lame CRUTCHES....

There is a keyboardist I am working with as a guitarist, a fine singer who is limited to 2 or 3 keys. I am trying to teach her enough theory to easily tranpose, since singers often say, "that's too high [or too low] for me". It might be possible for her to automatically tranpose on her keyboard, but I'll be damned if I'll mention it to her - she NEEDS to learn this stuff. What if she has to play on an acoustic piano one day?

Wally

...and that's why Wally's a bad mamajama.

I saw a DVD with Clarance Gatemouth Brown playing Okie Dokie Stomper (or what ever the name of the song is... ) he played the first part of the song with the capo in the wrong place... bass player came over and wispered in his ear. He smiled and moved it.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Archived