Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Purchasing Yamaha Clavinova

delete

I am considering a Clavinova purchase, specifically the CVP-409GP or a model from the CLP series like the CLP-265GP or CLP-296GP models. Yamaha music has already been contacted and they inform me some new models are coming out soon.

If anyone has owned or played any of these models and can share some information (likes/dislikes) it would be appreciated. I'm committed to the Clavinova product line so am only interested in those who have used them. TIA

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/Pianos/Product/CVP409GP_Main_0209.jpg

That's the baby you're considering. I bought a much less expensive Clavinova about 10 years ago but was never very happy with the piano sound. They've improved the piano sound and if you're buying a recent model (and it looks like you are), you'll have the same quality level piano sound that Yamaha uses in their top of the line stage piano from today.

I assume you're buying this model for all its bells and whistles?

I've played that model or a very similar model in stores over here and they sound great.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Top of the line Clavinova's have always been great home pianos. I'm not familiar with the current crop, but judging by their past renditions, the Clavinova's the way to go if you don't need a portable piano.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/Pianos/Product/CVP409GP_Main_0209.jpg

That's the baby you're considering. I bought a much less expensive Clavinova about 10 years ago but was never very happy with the piano sound. They've improved the piano sound and if you're buying a recent model (and it looks like you are), you'll have the same quality level piano sound that Yamaha uses in their top of the line stage piano from today.

I assume you're buying this model for all its bells and whistles?

I've played that model or a very similar model in stores over here and they sound great.

I agree - and had a similar experience with an older model.

I'll just throw this in - I've played the Modus digitals and they are stunning - in fact I like the sound better than Yamaha's new Avant Grand. I wouldn't be looking for bells and whistles so this would be my choice digital at home.

victoria bc

Those Modus DPs are very cool. That would make a terrific home digital. Great to record solo piano without having to futz with mics, pres or placement.

I think I like the action on my Yamaha "GranTouch" GT-2 a little more but there's no comparison with the sound. The few times I've played one I seem to remember a killin' reverb. I liked the Modus more than the Avant has well.

Has with most of the Yamaha "home products", they are quite expensive.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are all positive which is reassuring. Of course the final test is sitting down and playing one myself. I'll be visiting the Yamaha Canada showroom soon to give these babies a test drive.....

......maybe someone should warn them.....it's going to get loud!!!

If you can't quite stretch to the Modus, take a look at the CLP380 if all you need is piano. Similarly, if that's the case, compare the Roland HP207, which has the same keybed as my RD700GX and is now available in polished ebony.

Yamaha P515 | Yamaha CP4 | Yamaha MODX 8 | Casio PX S1000 | Nord Electro 5D | Moog Sub 37 | Korg Monologue | Native Instruments Maschine MK3 | Novation Circuit Tracks | Plug-ins Agogo

Timing is everything......an ad in our local newspaper announced a liquidation of up to 50% off Clavinova stock at a local music store. I checked it out and picked up a CVP-900 that had a list price of $12,000 plus taxes. They had it on sale for $6,299. I offered them $4,000. We agreed on $4,500 Cdn, taxes in including Yamaha bench and free delivery.

This was an older model no longer available and came with a 2yr warranty from Yamaha Canada.

Life is good.... :rawk:

• 1 year later...
I came back to this post 18 months later, just to share with everyone how much I have come to love this instrument. In hindsight, I got it for a steal and haven't seen another one for sale since. After a few weeks of ownership, I soon tweaked the instrument with its many user settings and had it set up just the way I like it. The settings were stored as a pre-set and that's all I have been using ever since. The beatbox and other voicings largly go unused. I simply turn it on, call up my pre-set and play....and play it does! The keyboard response and overall sound I find just amazing...and I have played everything from full size grands by Steinway, Bosendorfer, Yamaha and others...and while this may not be the same "experience", I can't say enough about this instrument. Bottom line - it sounds great and is a joy to play...!

is a joy to play - That is what it is all about. Expecially for a home instrument.

Back when I services electronic musical instruments, I worked on a lot of Clavinovas - the upper models especially were pretty much the top of the home electronics (I didn't see many of the Kurzweil home line, but they were also great playing).

Enjoy - I have a real grand and a Kurzweil both in my living room - wind up playing the electronic more than the real one (partly because I can do so without disturbing others in the home). I like playing each for different reasons.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Digitals also have features that an acoustic grand doesn't have, and they are always in tune. I don't know where you live, but living in the east means living with humidity changes all the time. With a digital, its a non factor.

And Tony, its nice to know that you are making good use of your instrument. You got a steal, for sure. :love:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived