Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - World Cup 2010

getz out

I can only imagine how German fans are reacting to this morning's game. I've only heard some reports, but apparently there were an usually high number of yellow cards handed out. AND by one of the most respected referee's in the world.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We are used to draws over here, we even have a sport (cricket) where the majority of the matches are draws and some take 4 days. I thought the US-Slovenia looked a very exciting draw though, whereas the England-Algeria draw was one of the dullest matches ever. A goal by either team to win it would hardly have improved it as a spectacle however.

I was just relieved that the US didn't wind up getting bounced out because of two horrible calls disallowing goals. That offsides call early in this one was awful - not as outrageous as the "phantom foul" from the Slovenia match, but pretty stink-a-riffic - and were it not for an opportune rebound in minute 91, FIFA would have an angry mob beating down their doors after these consecutive egregious calls against the US team.

Amazing resilience by the American side this morning. That Landon Donovan goal was astounding! But to let it get down to a stoppage time goal? I thought my heart was going to stop. And then to go on and win group C? I'm genuinely shocked.

I can't believe I'll miss USA V Ghana on saturday (more on that later). But I will definitely be dvr'ing the match.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Michele, at least the Italians carried themselves with a little class and decorum.

I mean, really, the coach can't go out and shake hands with the head coach of the host nation while the entire planet is documenting every single dysfuntion already? Sheesh!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Yeah that was disgraceful.

But then at the last world cup Zidane head-butted another player in his last ever game of professional football. All the world got to see it.

What a nob-head.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I have learnt something really odd.

Folk from Bangladesh (East of India) really adore Brazil and Argentina's teams. So during the last world cup, when Brazil were playing in the semi-final there was a power-cut in Bangladesh. The people rioted and went mental.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

well, the ball won't stay down. i have trouble believing all the best players in the world have suddenly forgotten how to get over the ball when firing a strike. but at least it affects both sides.

we can all agree the officiating has been terrible. almost as terrible as the US starts to games. ah, well.

robb.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got to go with Spain here. Overcoming an amazing German team like they did was incredible. Especially after Germany systematically took apart Argentina. All this, despite my father having worked for a Dutch company...20 years ago.

My Dutch neighbour has wangled a ticket and is heading out there!

Me though, I'm supporting Spain through and through, lots of Spanish friends including two singers I work with and such a stunningly beautiful passing style at best. Great defence too!

It would be my dream to see Derby, England or my school team play a style of football like that sometime in my life.

Archived