Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - World Cup 2010

getz out

We're happy with the draw!

Germany's group is the toughest (they usually get an easy ride)

South Africa have a very tough group for hosts.

Ouch, just seen Argentina's group - that's tight.

BTW my school team won 9-1 on Thursday and that now makes 5 wins out of 5 so we top the table. There were two leagues and now we play the 4th place team in the other group in the Quarter Final in January.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SkyBet has England at third-favorites for WC2010 glory, paying 11/2. Spain is at 4/1 and Brasil is at 5/1.

Surprising, but I am guessing the bookmakers are getting (and anticipating) a large amount of bets placed on England domestically and need to cover potential losses.

I am not saying England is a bad bet, I was just surprised at the current odds, especially when compared to Holland (12/1), Italy (10/1), France (12/1), Portugal (14/1), and Germany (25/1).

It's always like that. If you bet in England you'll never get good odds on England to win. And expectations will be unrealistically high again when basically anything can happen after the group stages anyway.

My money would probably be on Spain but I know nothing about them apart from their fantastic performances in the Euro two years ago.

i think italy and france are way down, and portugal has squandered the golden generation they had for the last two cups. i am surprised nederland doesn't have better odds. however, they've shown that their offensive style is not balanced enough to win every tough match (see: euro 2008). if the counter-attacking or scoring touch disappear, they will lose.

i'm not optimistic for the US. their roster is not nearly as good as in years past. maybe 2014 will be better, but doing anything more than advancing from group is probably asking too much. in other words, the confederations cup performance was more of an aberration than an indication.

robb.

• 5 months later...
Holy hell! A draw against England? Granted, the American goal is being regarded widely as a mistake by the English keeper. Especially on ITV which I'm watching right now.

true, the goal was a fluke. however, Green atoned for the mistake in saving Jozy Altidore's shot after beating Carragher.

robb.

They were playing at 1500m that's nearly 5000ft. I'm surprised that any of them could last the full 90mins. Bound to make mistakes.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Do they realize the crowd mic is right nest to a hornet's nest?

That incessant buzzing from those stupid horns is the most annoying thing in sports since the silly grunting in women's tennis.

Push the button Frank.

He should have saved Altidore's shot anyway. We dominated that game and the US were fortunate. Hopefully we can both go through. I wish Tim Howard was English!

bollocks.

England was strong early, and again late in the second half, but the US controlled most of the middle of the match on either side of the half. possession percentage was relatively equal at the end.

honestly, neither team looked that impressive.

robb.

Do they realize the crowd mic is right nest to a hornet's nest?

That incessant buzzing from those stupid horns is the most annoying thing in sports since the silly grunting in women's tennis.

OMFG, those stupid vuvuzela horns!!! It makes the match almost unlistenable. The announcers have been saying that it's difficult to call the matches with just how loud those things are. And today I saw some footage of a loudness test on one of the vuvuzela's. It was putting out about 133 dB at the end of that horn. It's positively redonkulous! :cry:

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I hate it when they say that the vuvuzela is integral to South African culture too. Those things were invented in Mexico in the 80s and only reached South Africa in the 1990s...the plastic version only in the last 9 years.

This looks interesting

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/7826995/World-Cup-2010-anti-vuvuzela-filter-could-cancel-out-noise-of-horns.html

I'm currently watching the Brazil match with the sound off - rather spoiling my enjoyment. I'm used to hearing the carnival bands when Brazil play!

Damn World Cup!

Not that there is anything wrong with it as such, it's just it has caused us to have a number of gigs cancelled.

My covers bands plays bars and pubs around SE London. And guess what? The bar managers have decided that they neither want nor need a band when their bar is already going to be full of people watching the wide-screen TV.

I tend to agree with them. We were once booked in a bar the same night as a significant football game. We couldn't even set up when the game was on as the stage area was right in front of the screen.

Then the game went into 30 mins extra time.

Then penalties.

Once it finished we did the fastest set up we've ever done. In that time, everyone had finished their drinks, said their goodbyes and left. By the time made our first noises we were playing for:

- the bar staff

- two very drunk women

- a bloke hanging around in the hope of getting off with one or both of the women.

Not a good night. And I don't think the bloke got lucky either...

We're playing tonight, after the the England-Algeria game. I hope England win, if only to give the folks in the pub a warm happy feeling and encourage them to stay on for our show.

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

That is one of the most amazing comebacks I've seen in US Soccer history. Landon Donovan's goal alone was beautiful! And that shouldn't take away from Bradley's goal.

But I am just utterly baffled by Maurice Edu's disallowed goal. WHERE WAS THE FOUL?!!?! And what's even more troubling? The referee would not tell the USA players what the foul was.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Agreed.

Both US goals (that were allowed -sigh-) were marvelous, I thought.

I thought the ref made several errors during the match. What was the yellow card about on the American player (was it Findley?) who took the ball to the face in the box from his teammate's cross (or was it a corner, I can't remember now)?!

I think being the referee is a tough job and it's hard to be perfect, but I was disappointed in more calls than I usually am -- for both sides. (So maybe they equalize out, but whatever...)

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived