Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the most famous bass line?

Mike19

Isn't this the MP3, Lady GaGa, Britney Spears and Kanye West generation?

I'm 25 and it hurts that those are the first things you equate with my generation. Even if they are some of the most prominent "artists" at the moment. But then, if I wanted to get argumentative I could say "I didn't think anybody from your generation listened to classical music. Wasn't yours the get stoned and screw in the mud generation?" ;)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was around for The Peter Gun TV series and Nancy Sinatra, and Money (man, that is great and famous line). But, would someone who is 20 years old today even know any of this music? Isn't this the MP3, Lady GaGa, Britney Spears and Kanye West generation?

Of course. Themes like the Peter Gunn theme have been in lots of cheesy movies and sitcoms for many years. Especially when the plot it has to do with private eyes. Just as George Thorogood's Bad to the Bone is played just about everytime a sitcom character decides to look or act like a tough guy.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

"Linus and Lucy" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio?

I know, it's not just bass, but the bass and piano play the same line.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Wasn't yours the get stoned and screw in the mud generation?" ;)

The mud, the street, the trees, the lakes, the airplane restrooms, the restaurant restrooms, the school restrooms, the gas station restrooms, backseats of cars, backseats of motorcycles, under shrubs, on big rocks, swinging from chandeliers, and pretty much anyplace else we could find that wasn't being watched too closely. Be grateful dude, that's how your generation got here, ya know what I mean?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Be grateful dude, that's how your generation got here, ya know what I mean?

Personally, I hope I was a chandelier baby.

Ask your parents, it should be an interesting evening.

"Let's see, if I recall your mother's leg was like this. Come on honey, let's show the boy. Now imagine, if I was to move too much to this side, my left cheek would obviously get burned by the lava lamp, and if she leaned too far, there'd be bongwater all over the ficus, so I had go like this....Oooo cramp, cramp ow ow...."

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

"fOR THE lOVE OF mONEY"-Anthony Jackson's bass intro is the bass line.

"Bernadette" Four Tops.

For JEremy C's criteria, "Theme from the Pink PAnther"

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

For JEremy C's criteria, "Theme from the Pink PAnther"

Um...that's a sax, dude.

I thought about this tune earlier. As was said earlier, its dificult if you ask bass players what tunes have the most famous bass lines.

The Pink Panther definitley has a famous bass line. Whether or not you would recognise the tune from the bass lineis irrelevant, the tune is not right without the bass line. I've heard the tune carried either by a sax, flute, trumpet or piano, but without the bass line (and the triangle) it's not right.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I think the critera should be widened as most of the tunes mentioned, the bass line is the tune.

Paul Simon's - You Can Call me Al.

Everyone in the UK knows Fleetwood Mac - The Chain but may not know the name as it was the theme tune for Formula 1 racing for a long time.

Come on guys - Brown Eyed Girl!

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Isn't this the MP3, Lady GaGa, Britney Spears and Kanye West generation?

I'm 25 and it hurts that those are the first things you equate with my generation. Even if they are some of the most prominent "artists" at the moment. But then, if I wanted to get argumentative I could say "I didn't think anybody from your generation listened to classical music. Wasn't yours the get stoned and screw in the mud generation?" ;)

Davio - my point was that almost all the bass lines named come from the 60s, 70s or 80s. That might be because most of the posters are over age 30 and, like myself, are not that familiar with music from your generation (under 30).

So, how about some famous bass lines from songs released from 2000 on?

Oh yeah - free love and Woodstock. My generation was the one that got stoned and died in the mud in Viet Nam.

Some more candidates:

> Take Me To The River - the 1978 version by Talking Heads with Tina Weymouth on bass.

> Gin & Juice - Snoop Dogg 1993.

"99 And 1/2 Just Won't Do"

...or maybe its because most of the good bass lines from the mid 90's on are copied from the good bass lines from the 60's 70's and 80's? Or that there just isn't that much in the way of groundbreakingly awesome music coming out these days? (K... 'nuff said don't want to turn this into a completely different discussion)

But if you want more recent, the intro to Pearl Jam's 'Jeremy' comes to mind.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

OMG, the hella thing.

When I did a job at a satellite earth station up in Napa, this girl who worked there prefaced everything with "hella". But then, she was hella cool.

My son went to college in R.I. and discovered that the kids from California all said "hella" and the kids from New England all said "wicked", with both words meaning approximately the same thing..

When Doves Cry - Prince

Wise ass. There's no bass on that song. Nice try.

That's why I like it. You see, I view it as a dollars per note equation. If I play less notes but still get the same pay, I win. Plus, I can get my drank on whilst the other band members are still having to work.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I'll Take You There by the Staples Singers, although the younger generation may not know it.

It also has one of the most famous bass solos in history.

(Played by David Hood).

Love it.

To quote Mavis, "Little David!"

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived