Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Mag's "Beat IT" gong article

Eric Jx

So I just received the latest issue of Keyboard magazine. Thumbing throught the TOC I notice that there is an article on how to program the gong sound in the intro of Michael Jackson's Beat it.

I'm thinking this is perfect timing. Our band recently decided to fool around with Beat It. My Korg has a patch that I've been using for the gong sound. Others in the band think it's perfect, but to my ears it doesn't quite fit the bill. I figure this keyboard mag article could help me program a better sound on my Alesis Micron.

Anyway, when I read the article I was disappointed. I was expected more generic instruction, but the article is written specifically for the Waldorf Largo virtual synth. I don't know how to translate phrases like "I manually honed in on a variation by setting the wave number in the top corner of the wave form display to 60".

I don't know if anybody else gets anything out of articles like this, but I found it worthless.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i read the article and heard the waldorf largo demo and i actually found the patch rather poor, i was expecting an epic lesson in synth programming, anyway, my covers band does that song and i went the lazy way and sampled it, people hear the gong and they start getting excited. it is such a recognizable sound i think only the original can do justice to it.

I figure this keyboard mag article could help me program a better sound on my Alesis Micron.

Not sure why you would have thought that, given the following lead-in to the steps:

You could also try other "digital-sounding" virtual synths such as the Prophet-VS mode of Arturia Prophet V, PPG Wave 2.V (part of Waldorf Edition, reviewed Dec. '07), or Image-Line Ogun (reviewed Mar. '09).

Largo offers a 30-day demo; you could pretty easily download it, follow the tutorial, then try to find something similar in something else you own. :thu:

I agree that those programming articles are pretty useless. When I was studying electronic music in university, programming was taught using flow charts (ie oscillators, filters, the signal flow and all the various input values for freq, amp, etc. )

Obviously, every synth has its own sound, but those flow charts really gave you an understanding of how synth sounds are created. I still have many of my assignments written out by hand on paper. We use to use MAX/MSP for those classes, but I could use those templates on any synth be it VST or my V-Synth or my PC3.

If those articles used this more generic theoretical method instead of specific software/synth approach they would be much more useful to all of us, because obviously we don't all have the same gear and/or software.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Archived