Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spinoff: Anyone Using Primarily Hardware Instead of VI's?

fb000

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually use just the VI's, but with the acquisition of the S70XS, and it's integration as a VI within Cubase (which I use), I may change my habits.

It's never been a sound issue for me (although I always used Giga pianos because they were far superior to anything I had in a rompler), it's always been about convenience using the VI's.

However, the new C6 grand piano in the XS is very good, and I will probably start using it in recordings.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I use hardware synths almost exclusively, and mainly use my DAW as a recorder. :wave:

I just like it better from a workflow POV. I have a bunch of VI's, but the only ones I use (occasionally) are Ivory (because I love it) and the Korg Wavestation (because it's essentially the exact same thing as my WSSR with a muuuuch better interface).

As far as VI's sounding better than hardware, I don't buy into the vs. thing. To me, every instrument has it's own sound. There are actually some software synths I like better than some hardware synths (I'd take the Powercore Virus over a Sequential Six Trak any day of the week)

Bottom line for me - if it fits your taste, music and budget, I say go for it. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I'm still a hardware guy. It is easier to fire up the workstation (Motif) in order to lay down ideas.

I have NI Battery 3. Eventually, I'll pick up other VIs. Not a pressing need. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I feel the same way about workflow. Working ITB with VI's is still a cumbersome process for me and it burdens me when composing.

However, I can't get the same depth and fullness in sound out of my fantom-x as I can VI's. Mainly because of the limited use of effects in the fantom in sequence mode.

I suppose all of this could be resolved by using a decent control surface with knobs, faders, and buttons.

I use hardware synths almost exclusively, and mainly use my DAW as a recorder. :wave:

I just like it better from a workflow POV.

Bottom line for me - if it fits your taste, music and budget, I say go for it. :thu:

dB

Dave - you just spared me the work of writing that down myself. :D

dB

Dave - you just spared me the work of writing that down myself. :D

+1

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm mostly a hardware guy myself and my VI's are pretty much limited to Strike (for drums), Kontakt, Arturia Prophet 5 and Minimoog (although I don't use the minimoog VI anymore, since I got the Voyager) and it all goes into ProTools.

I'll usually rely on Motif ES, Minimoog Voyager, Hammond KX3 and the NE2 (for clavs) if I'm recording in a group situation, where time constraints and minimal micing is involved.

If I have the luxury of time and/or I'm doing my own stuff, then I'll use the Rhodes 73 stage and the 57 B3 with the dual leslies, and the Yamaha C7 grand.

I fully expect that one day, I'll answer the call and start using more VI's as they've gotten so good and are getting easier and easier to use. I am with some here, about workflow and prefer the working sequence with hardware.

YMMV.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

The only VI I use currently is Groove Agent 3. The rest is all hardware. I'm finishing up work on an all "electronic" album and for that I used my Voyager, ATC-X, SE-1X, SY77, SY99, FS1R, Wavestation A/D, JD-990, Rhodes 73 Stage, Wurlitzer EP, and EX5r. Might be some Motif in there, can't recall. Groove Agent 3 and the SY99 were used for percussion/drums.

I'd like to get FM8; I really enjoy what I've heard. Absynth is another that intrigues me. But I'll probably get something like Battery first to expand on my drum sounds.

Groove Agent 3 is very useful for coming up with ideas. The percussion agent part of it is cool.

Me too. Interesting subject. I've gone back and forth on this but I seem to have settled into my "prime directive" - -that I only use hardware that is best for a certain task, and software that is best for a certain task.

While VI's are endlessly interesting, my yardstick for buying one would be this question: Does this VI give me something that I could never do on either my MO XS6 or my RD-700GX?

Well, it's yes for Virtual Guitarist. Not so sure on many others out there. I totally have GAS for Reason, but I'm not going to let myself have it unless . . . you know.

For recording synths/drum machines etc. I use Reason, primarily because it reminds me of my hardware studio days of the 80's. It's so similar to hardware that it's uncanny but it's far superior in terms of SNR. Besides Reason v4 I've also got the Reason Pianos which I love. I also have a Motif XS6 and haven't tried it with Cubase AI yet but I plan on giving it a trial run.

Ironically I have no plans to upgrade to Propellerhead's Record because I invested in a Tascam 2488neo last year as my DAW. I like the workflow better. Yet I still do mastering using Sony Sound Forge. Back and forth...

Archived