Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif EP's verses Nord Electro 2 or 3 ???

slickmathews

I find the Yamaha Rhodes sounds to be more detailed and playable than the Nord's. Haven't tried the new Wurli in the Motif XS, but I prefer the Electro's Wurli to the Motif ES class Wurli. Effects are more plentiful and controllable with the Motif ... more immediate with an Electro. There's something to be said for both.

I haven't played any Nords, but I'm happy with the rhodes in the XS. I don't get excited about Wurlies because I generally find them thin sounding on a good day, but some of the XS's have more meat on them and sound pretty good.

For me it all comes down to the action, and I can't play rhodes/wurlies etc, well on boards that aren't weighted.

I tried out a PC3x before I bought the S70XS, but passed on it because I didn't like the action.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As the owner of an NE2, an NE3 a Motif Rack XS and not to mention four Rhodes and a 200A I might as well weigh in. I've tried everything. To me the NE2 Rhodes is unusable. The NE3 is a clear improvement and I would use it in a pinch without complaint. Thje Motif / S series Rhodes are much more to my liking but as with most digital emulations sound like a recording and lacks much relistic response. The Roland SRX 12 FWIW trumps both IMO and is much more detailed. The Wurlitzers in all three are acceptable in a live mix and as good as most of what is available but that's not saying a lot as the Wurlitzer sound is apparently as hard to duplicate for keyboard manufacturers as acoustic piano is.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

The Roland SRX 12 FWIW trumps both IMO and is much more detailed.

Interesting. I might have to order that for my Fantom. Funny, though- I feel like "detailed" Rhodes patches are usually way more detailed than an actual Mark 1.

Personally, the Electro 3 has my favorite Rhodes and Wurli emulation. It lights me right up. I've only played a Motif in the music store, though, and I didn't realize it was a contender.

I tried the new Roland RD per suggestion. I had played a number of the older RD's on rider gigs over the years. I thought the new piano sound and feel was fine (and very adjustable ,,variable lid opening etc...) But again, the E. Pianos and organs were just not as earthy and playable as on the Motif. The Rhodes sounds were particulary dull and uninteresting.

The "Vk" organ sounds were also a disapointment. I think...one of these for piano and something else for EP's and Organs...IMO

Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Thanks to ALL!

As the owner of an NE2, an NE3 a Motif Rack XS and not to mention four Rhodes and a 200A I might as well weigh in. I've tried everything. To me the NE2 Rhodes is unusable. The NE3 is a clear improvement and I would use it in a pinch without complaint. Thje Motif / S series Rhodes are much more to my liking but as with most digital emulations sound like a recording and lacks much relistic response. The Roland SRX 12 FWIW trumps both IMO and is much more detailed. The Wurlitzers in all three are acceptable in a live mix and as good as most of what is available but that's not saying a lot as the Wurlitzer sound is apparently as hard to duplicate for keyboard manufacturers as acoustic piano is.

I only own three Rhodes currently (and no Wurly unfortunately) but of any of the conclusions, yours most closely matches mine. I haven't played the NE3 Rhodes much, so I can't really comment.

I'm spoiled by having the Scarbee Rhodes/Wurly available for live.

I'm still very interested in the Korg SV-1. Nothing that I've heard in any of the demos leads me to believe it's not the best hardware Rhodes/Wurly out there.

Busch.

When you say "the NE2 Rhodes is unusable," does that mean all four of the options? I've been getting into the Mark V of late and liking it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

When you say "the NE2 Rhodes is unusable," does that mean all four of the options? I've been getting into the Mark V of late and liking it.

Yeah, it does mean that. I have three of the four (I replaced the electric grand with the Mark V) and not only do they not sound like a Rhodes to me, I'd be hard pressed to have any use for them. Just my opinion, which is what the OP asked for. If you like it, great! I do LOVE my NE2, however, the clavinet and the organ in particular. I can't make myself sell it since getting the NE3.

Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

I found the NE2 Rhodes unplayable too, epsecilay with that jumpy action.

I like Roland for piano, Yamaha for Rhodes or Roland's SRX-12, and Nord just for organ.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Thanks for the clarification. :thu: I'm no expert on Rhodes (nor Wurly, Clav, B-3, nor piano for that matter!) so I'm always interested in the opinions of those familiar with the real thing. I just have to go by my ear, feel, and what seems to work for me.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have three of the four (I replaced the electric grand with the Mark V) and not only do they not sound like a Rhodes to me, I'd be hard pressed to have any use for them. Just my opinion, which is what the OP asked for. If you like it, great! I do LOVE my NE2, however, the clavinet and the organ in particular.

My thoughts exactly!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

its funny cause i've had almost the opposite experience as what seems like a mojority ... I think the electro2 rhodes are freaking fantastic (the sole reason i use the board) and the rest acceptable (wurly) to mediocre (piano organ) ... ive had a motif and i currently have a fantom (i regret getting rid of the motif but not because of the rhodes) ... didn't like them on either ... i haven't heard the kurz board but i have heard good things - i'm anxious to hear it in person

my issue with the fantom Rhodes (onboard and srx expansion) is emblematic of my problem with 99% of the rhodes out there ... they are over done either slightly over playing the 'bell' aspect (making it sound to pingy or bright) or they WAY over play the bite ... sometimes almost to the point of becoming a Caricature ... obviously every rhodes sounds different but I've had to really dig in to get that good bite on the ones ive owned otherwise its a very soft mellow - more subtle sound ... and thats what i prefer - the nord is one of the very few acceptable ones i've heard that gets that and its by far my favorite ... I also can't stand to many digital effects on a rhodes sim - amping it with a good amp is half the battle and a huge part of the sound ... I use an old 60's traynor with a healthy dose of tube reverb and hair of tremelo and its pretty damn bullet proof for rhodes live ... frankly i prefer the elctro to an actual rhodes live because i play in a 6 piece and a real rhodes tends overly muddy up the mix - personally i think this is part of the reason why i've seen bands like the black crowes haul a real b3 and leslie on the road but choose an electro 2 instead of bringing a Rhodes ...

obviously if I was playing in a three piece where the full character of the Rhodes had value i would go for the real thing - but they can be very muddy live

also for what its worth nord organs are good compared to the workstation organs i've heard (better in fact) but i don't think they can compare to the clonewheels ... overall i don't like them - leslie sim sounds a liitle quick and a little corny ... i use a korg cx3 live for that reason

Archived