Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Is it time to object to the tuxedo?

raddtunes

Wearing a tux on a job (and mine is always neatly pressed) comes with the territory.

I've never been so happy to be a pop/rock guitarist. :D

Wouldn't you wear a virtual tux for a virtual concert in Second Life? :)

Are you ready for this? Talk about timely...

I'm performing at a charity event this Saturday, a "Pink Ball" against breast cancer held by a fashion agency. So, I"m already donating my time and tips for the cause, right?

And the organizers had the nerve to ask me to wear a tux!!!!!! I told them that they would be lucky if I didn't show up naked.

Both in real life and in the virtual world, I tend to dress as my music would dictate. For standard rock shows, it's something like what I wore at my show yesterday...

http://slcoyote.com/images/zakgig_101809_001s.jpg

If I'm feeling magnanimous, I'll sometimes throw a jacket on over my jeans and t-shirt...

http://slcoyote.com/images/zakgig_062009_001s.jpg

But a tux? No way. I cannot rock in a tux.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OT Mr. Horne As someone who dropped about 60 lbs, I can tell you that white is your enemy. Stop eating anything white , pretty much an Adkins diet. White bread, rice, pasta, and of course white sugar. Basically you limit carbs and eat more veggies and meat. By the way 60 lbs in about 4 months.

Excellent. As someone who's been, and is still on that rollercoaster, I say good job!!! Hopefully I can report the same in several months!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

OT Mr. Horne As someone who dropped about 60 lbs, I can tell you that white is your enemy. Stop eating anything white , pretty much an Adkins diet. White bread, rice, pasta, and of course white sugar. Basically you limit carbs and eat more veggies and meat. By the way 60 lbs in about 4 months.

Yup, that's pretty much the way our diet is panning out - very few carbs (though some) and not much fat (though, again, some). Eating loads of veg and fruit and quite a bit of meat, though because I'm a bit prone to gout, I limit how much of it is red, subbing in more fish and chicken.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Most of my work is on acoustic pianos so there's no moving of equipment on my part.

On those few jobs where I bring my sound system and piano (five trips back and forth to the car), I simply wear my street clothes for the set up and tear down, and change into the tux for the job. I get there in plenty of time so I can take my time setting up.

I would much rather wear a tux and be over dressed, better dressed than the crowd, than be under dressed.

Which brings up a great point I didn't originally think about - - there are certainly times when the tux is ok, and for some reason the look of a player at a grand piano works. Playing in a band full of electronic instruments, horns, guitars, just doesn't.

The look of someone performing labor in a tux just doesn't look right. And again - - it's just odd that we've somehow taken the most classy, elegant looking thing, and turned it into the uniform of the help. I'm just sayin'.

The look of someone performing labor in a tux just doesn't look right. And again - - it's just odd that we've somehow taken the most classy, elegant looking thing, and turned it into the uniform of the help. I'm just sayin'.

Yes, I have been mistaken for a waiter on some Tux gigs.

I would much rather wear a tux and be over dressed, better dressed than the crowd, than be under dressed.

One more thing, there are $100 tuxes and $800 tuxes. You can see the difference.

Yes, and Yes. If I'm playing a private function, unless specifically told by the buyer otherwise, I always try to "out dress" the crowd. There should always be a separation there between the musician and the guests, and at the same time it should be one that includes some dignity - a damn nice tux. You come in wearing a tailored tux, and you get treated a hell of a lot differently than if you're wearing a black suit with a tux shirt and bow tie....

Now on a bar gig, it depends, but jeans and a decent shirt is fine for most.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I think Kevin's talking about this.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v362/135/57/745091169/n745091169_861511_5968.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here's a side question, and a serious one.

Why is it so often expected for the pianist to wear a tux, but it's almost never a requirement (or even a suggestion) for a solo guitarist? Is it some perception of the degree of formality of the instrument itself?

About the only apparel rule I've been asked as a guitarist in certain situations is "no ripped jeans or sneakers". It's a far cry from black tails.

Not a serious answer to your serious question. Maybe because we all grew up seeing this?

http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/academy/8630/bugspiano.gif

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I think Kevin's talking about this.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v362/135/57/745091169/n745091169_861511_5968.jpg

Exactly. That tux is so nice, you barely notice Miss America's backside behind me...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Maybe because we all grew up seeing this?

:D

Silly.

I really do believe there's a double standard. Some guy playing light jazz in a lounge/restaurant on a piano? Tux or other formalwear. Guy playing light jazz on a guitar in the same setting? Jeans and perhaps a collared shirt.

Why?

Maybe because we all grew up seeing this?

:D

Silly.

I really do believe there's a double standard. Some guy playing light jazz in a lounge/restaurant on a piano? Tux or other formalwear. Guy playing light jazz on a guitar in the same setting? Jeans and perhaps a collared shirt.

Why?

Probably a holdover from when the pianist wasn't playing light jazz and was playing light classical. Brahms played piano in a brothel, so this has been going on for some time. It's also a color scheme of wearing black and white against a black and white piano, at least it was until Nord came around. :D

Guitar suggests a more informal ambience to most people ( I assume), regardless of the music. Part of the pianist's outfit is the piano itself. Rich people buy baby grands for their living room even though they can't play a note, it's classy furniture. I don't know many rich people who buy stratocasters as furniture. :rawk:

Re: guitars as furniture. There are rich people who own several expensive collector's item guitars, although they don't play a note... thus helping to drive up the price beyond what working musicians can afford.

I don't know if that makes them FURNITURE, strictly speaking.....

A guitarist wearing a tuxedo would either be in a wedding band (anathema for most guitarists) or a classical player.

Re: guitars as furniture. There are rich people who own several expensive collector's item guitars, although they don't play a note... thus helping to drive up the price beyond what working musicians can afford.

I don't know if that makes them FURNITURE, strictly speaking.....

Nope, it makes them investments.

There's a violinist out there named Joshua Bell, I went to school with him. He's borrowing a violin right now that some rich guy owns (although Josh is fairly wealthy too). The asking price? 18 million! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I think the previous record price is 5 million.

The point being made that musos are hired help and paid to do a job is valid. Some jobs do require uniforms.

Still, requiring a solo pianist to wear a tuxedo is unnecessary IMO.

A 'proper attire' requirement provides enough lattitude for a muso to look nice and still be comfortable.

To that end, I believe musos can dress better than their audience and maintain a high level of professionalism without wearing a tuxedo. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The point being made that musos are hired help and paid to do a job is valid. Some jobs do require uniforms.

Still, requiring a solo pianist to wear a tuxedo is unnecessary IMO.

A 'proper attire' requirement provides enough lattitude for a muso to look nice and still be comfortable.

To that end, I believe musos can dress better than their audience and maintain a high level of professionalism without wearing a tuxedo. :cool:

I pretty much wear what the employer wants, no questions asked. If they want a yellow sequined disco leisure suit, so be it. :D

I pretty much wear what the employer wants, no questions asked. If they want a yellow sequined disco leisure suit, so be it. :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/417442156_2961f702e9.jpg

Oh my. :sick:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/417442156_2961f702e9.jpg

Oh my. :sick:

That wouldn't be so bad, he doesn't have a bowtie on. That's real comfort!

That wouldn't be so bad, he doesn't have a bowtie on. That's real comfort!

I couldn't find a yellow sequined disco leisure suit. :(

Ummmmm... thank God! :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

"He who pays the piper calls the tunes."

If they want you in a tux, you wear the tux if you want the job. If you don't want the job enough to wear a tux, say "no, thanks."

If you find something objectionable about a gig (a KKK Christmas party, a legal defense fundraiser for a child molester, wearing a tux, whatever), don't take the job.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I have gotten contracts which specified that the pianist wear a tuxedos only to show up for the gig and be the ONLY PERSON WEARING ONE ! So I bring a nice black vest, lose the jacket and sometimes the tie and voila! Professional attire minus the monkey suit.

Brilliant! - and also emphasizes another point of why I asked about this. Clearly, someone told you to wear a tux out of habit, and custom. Ok - that's not inherently bad, but obviously it wasn't the best choice for this occaision. And I love this solution.

In Vegas, the "uniform-du-jour" for us at almost all corporate events is black suit with a dressy-fabric black T-shirt.

It looks good - - but more importantly, it's appropriate. Which makes us all look good. And frankly, it makes us look like musicians who exist in this century. Less old school I believe.

I would NEVER advocate anything but giving the customer what they want and ask for. But many customers are open to suggestions.

The tuxedo needs to be moved back to the very distinguished position it once held.

I said "servant uniform", and I have a bit of a vitriolic reaction about tuxedos because in my experience the gigs that expected me to wear a Tux are the ones where I experienced the most disrespect form the hosts or planners. They were the least pleasant gigs.

This is a subjective recollection, but it really seems like the Tux requesters are the most likely to try and talk your rate down. They are the least likely to feed you well at weddings. They want to be served by underlings.

I don't know... I'm not inclined to wear a tie either, though I'll do it without too much complaint for a wedding gig. I can't even imagine one of those office jobs where you wear a tie to work.

I do admire guys who choose to wear a suit and tie on every gig, if that is their style.

I've played more than a few weddings and black tie events. As far as I'm concerned, the entertainment ALWAYS looks better being a bit more casual. At the very worst, black suit with open collar shirt (NO TIE!!!). Unless you're in a choir or part of an orchestra, the tux BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I remember an old friend stating that if someone had a job where their only responsibility was to drive downtown, sit behind a desk and eat a candy bar, they'd complain.

As misterdregs said, He who pays the piper calls the tunes.

Oh, you don't wear a belt with a tux, suspenders are de rigueur.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I remember an old friend stating that if someone had a job where their only responsibility was to drive downtown, sit behind a desk and eat a candy bar, they'd complain.

Drive downtown? Very 20th century. Why don't they telecommute or videoconference? I'd complain like mad, with or without the candy bar. ;)

I've been wearing tuxedos since I was 16 years old (over 30 years), and I accept it as a necessary evil. That said, it's not the tux that I object to as much as the stupid bowtie. It makes a grown man look like a 12 year old, for heavens sake.

That said, my business has gotten hit really hard by the recession, and I'm grateful for any gigs that come in; and I'll wear the monkey suit and be thankful that at least I'm working...

Archived