Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

guitar case scribbling

Johan Larson

I have a black leather-grain guitar case made of something synthetic -- perhaps vinyl.

What can I use to write on it that will be both visible and permanent? If the case were a light color, I could use a permanent marker, but it's black, so the simple option is out.

Putting on a lighter sticker of some kind is a possibility, but the leather grain is probably deep enough to defeat stickers, possibly excepting duct tape.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, you can buy the silver or gold magic marker, but they are not really permanent. Your best bet is a paint marker and fixative. Or a branding iron.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Sharpie makes a bunch of colours to choose from...

right. but even the industrial brand wears right off of surfaces that get a lot of rubbing. I have a half-dozen of the silver ones. Great for dark material that doesn't get a lot of wear, use it for cable labels on shows with black duct tape. Tried labeling tool handles and plastic handles, case sides, no go.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Enamel spray paint and stencils or a brush & a solvent-based paint are the way to go, if you have the drawing chops to make it look good. It melts into the plastic and becomes part of it. No rubbing off after that.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Yeah, you can buy the silver or gold magic marker, but they are not really permanent. Your best bet is a paint marker and fixative. Or a branding iron.

I say brand that sucker - gretsch style!

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

"Look for something like Markal that is designed for permanent marking on steel and other metals. I think it's some kind of enamel paint in a ball point type marker pen."

That is what we are talking about when we say 'paint marker'. Generically, ask for a paint marker and you'll get a Markal or some other brand of the same thing

Haven't had a lot of luck with anything like that though. Since the OP was 'scribbling' I think that we are all looking for some means of actually scribbling. Meanwhile, as has been mentioned above, stencils and spray paint is the traditional tried and true method.

Steve Martin

Archived