Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite gospelstyle-pianoplaying...

Peter the swede

what is your favorite song with really great gospelstyle pianoplaying on?

Aretha franklins album Amazing Grace is one o my favoritealbum of all time...amazing piano and Hammondplaying.

Another favorite is Joshua nelsons playing on the song How I got over on the Carlton pearsons album Live at azusa 3....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hard to answer that question. There isn't a particular song because where I live, fantastic gospel piano players come a dime a dozen. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I agree Prof. Most of the greatest players aren't anywhere on the national radar. I can rattle off a handful no one has heard of outside of the genre...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Depends on if you're talking trad or modern. Modern is a different bag.

But my all time champ is obvious...Richard Tee, the guy in my avatar.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Depends on if you're talking trad or modern. Modern is a different bag.

It certainly helps to make the distinction between traditional and modern gospel.

Either way, Thomas Whitfield was my favorite gospel KB player hands down.

Whitfield set the precedent for a lot heard in gospel today. Cats have digested his style and added various influences to the point that as MW and K mentioned, the stuff they are playing now is ridiculous i.e. good. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If I had to pick one, the Prof picked the right one. Anyone wanting to hear where today's gospel piano came from need not look any further than Thomas "The Maestro" Whitfield. His voicings are STILL standard setters...the harmonies he heard between voice and piano were nothing short of incredible.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Archived